English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 January 2002, 19:32   #1
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

Cracktro style logos

How do you go about drawing a logo like this in Dpaint?? Does any one know of an step by step gides/hints???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pdx_cher[1].jpg
Views:	589
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	1659  
Old 20 January 2002, 19:38   #2
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Heh, I asked nearly the same question on the gfxzone-forum. I wondered if this style was done in 3D first then retouched or directly done in a paint program. A guy told me then he made that logo-style in DPaint only :hooooo
Old 20 January 2002, 23:49   #3
Djay
95th User

i remember designing, these types of logos a few years ago...

start with a basic outline, then grab it, paste a copy slighty up and left (per letter if you like), then shade in the top and left sections (try a light colour), then shade bottom and right sections (try a fairly dark colour), then pick a shade of the same colour between the light and dark, add this to the middle section.

you should now have a fairly 3d looking logo, blend the edges, then re-define, the edges, try using anti-alaising etc..

if i looks ugly in the early stages, try not to UNDO, go with it.

for a very quick start, choose a font, then add a bit of styling, then shade in, this will give you a idea of how to define light sources.

DON'T EXPECT MUCH IN THE FIRST FIVE MINUTES, if you look at the image you attached, and think, god my design looks crap, just keep editing until you find the style you imagine.

i'll knock up an image soon,
Old 21 January 2002, 00:03   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I used to work with a lot of Amiga graphic artists back in the day (and heck, even now...only they are all on the PC today) and one thing that has to be pointed out here is that you need some artistic skill to begin with. Most of the brilliant artists I knew who whipped up delights on the Amiga either in DPaint (or OpalPaint, DigiView, etc.) were artists to begin with. Whilst I, on the other hand, could scarcely draw a stick man. But I had done layout and adverts since I was about 12 years old. Which gravitated me more towards DTP apps. Mind you, I used DPaint (and others) extensively just like I used Photoshop daily now. But I do touch up and technical stuff, not art.

Advertisers would like for the user to believe that the right app can make you an artist or musician, but you need those skills first, THEN you need the program that will make that seamless transition from real world to computer.
Old 21 January 2002, 00:11   #5
Djay
95th User

twistin' - i totally agree, you NEED a good eye for design, you need to be able to translate your idea on the page, something that is very difficult.

if you haven't got a graphics tablet, try designing the outline on paper, scan, then add shading a colour!
Old 21 January 2002, 21:35   #6
Amiga1992

i agree.

There are some graffittis on the street that have this 3Dish look... they dont use any kind of trick or 3D app I believe quite a bunch of amiga gfxers of back then had a background in graffitti art, just like quitea bunch of today's designers have a background in graffitti art (Dave Kinsey is da bomb)
Old 21 January 2002, 23:30   #7
Djay
95th User

a couple of my mates are ex graffitti artists, they now run a very successful website/nu media company... (they have designed Pepsi's uk site, Bullfrogs, a few other big players)

check out http://www.kerb.co.uk

these guys are also from my home town

Phatterthanadonkeysdick
Old 22 January 2002, 19:36   #8
dvs^dcs

With great skill!!! I have designed logos for cracktros in the past... but trying to copy someone elses style is silly.. create your own style, theres no 'method' to create art!

this is my style (logo done around 94ish) - if it attaches to this post, obviously not as good as the paradox one on the original post..:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flt.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1665  

Old 22 January 2002, 20:52   #9
Amiga1992

Love that Fairlight logo man!!!! good stuff... makes me want to go to my A600 and whip up a logo of some kind... but the A600 is miles away from me now besides, Ive been focusing on black and white pixelart on a mac Classic II... its great fun

Djay: your pals' website is nice, its only a shame that they use some free source code in there.

dave Kinsey's site, in case nobody ever saw it: www.kinseyvisual.com
Old 23 January 2002, 00:21   #10
RCK
Administrator

@dvs: Nice GFX !
Old 23 January 2002, 18:39   #11
dvs^dcs

@RCK: thanks... heres another unreleased logo:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chaos-ideafin2.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	1673  

Old 23 January 2002, 19:01   #12
DPainter

Quote:
Originally posted by s4murai
Heh, I asked nearly the same question on the gfxzone-forum. I wondered if this style was done in 3D first then retouched or directly done in a paint program. A guy told me then he made that logo-style in DPaint only :hooooo
Doing that from scratch in Dpaint would not be easy for me. If I had a hand scanner and could scan in a sketch, that would help a lot, but getting a natural "cursive" effect using a mouse isn't easy. Now that I have an art pad and programs like Painter Classic on my PC, I just can't imagine going back into Dpaint and trying to do something fluid and organic.

dvs^dcs: nice logos! What did you originally use to make them?
Old 23 January 2002, 21:06   #13
dvs^dcs

Dpaint 4/5.. no effects, pure pixelling. It takes some effort and planning but in the end it pays off.. both of those logos were drawn out on paper first for ideas.. then pixelled, the scanning approach could work well but ive never used one for any gfx.. in the old days scanning was seen to be lame so never even bothered with a scanner!

these days I dont pixel as much as I did back in the days 93-97, I had too much time on my hands when I was younger! heh

Old 23 January 2002, 21:09   #14
dvs^dcs

oh and I forgot, I reckon that pixelling 'techniques' are just as important as well shaped letters in logos.. practice makes perfect! I was never a picture artist to be honist, id rather create something of my own than pixel something that has been observed from real life or just plain copied.

Old 24 January 2002, 23:19   #15
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by dvs^dcs
both of those logos were drawn out on paper first for ideas.. then pixelled
That's how I do it... sketch on paper, then pixelling, vectorizing or whatever. That's the method that works best for me.