English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 12 January 2020, 23:51   #1
roondar

Facebook, twitter and all that jazz

What is it about places like that which attracts so much of the "wrong" kind of discussion? I don't mean subject wise necessarily, but rather how angry everyone seems to get and how negative discussions tend to become about almost any subject (other than nice pictures of cats etc.).

I never quite got it. Took a break from them starting today and I'm already thinking it'll make me a lot calmer

Last edited by roondar; 13 January 2020 at 00:16.
Old 13 January 2020, 01:35   #2
Steve
You are Fake News!

I haven't been on Facebook for over a year now. Best thing I ever did. I still use Twitter every now and again but that is just as toxic. I think the whole social-media experiment has ultimately proved that humans basically can't be civil and nice to each other when they disagree on a topic. Worse than that, people have their own core belief systems which cannot be moved no matter the evidence against it. Most trolls are basically cowards who hide behind anonymity.

Leave social media behind (apart from sites like this of course - hobby sites). General social media sites like Facebook and Twitter are just too toxic. Not good for humanity and sadly designed to be addictive and a tool for data-mining etc. Stop using them.
Old 13 January 2020, 02:47   #3
Hewitson

I try to minimise my time on Facebook. Most toxic website on the internet and full of rude, illiterate morons who can't even spell their own language.

I'd estimate at least 95% of people don't know the difference between their, there and they're. The literacy level is that of a 5 year old at best.
Old 13 January 2020, 11:05   #4
chip

Never used in my life Facebook, Twitter and all of these kind of socials
Old 13 January 2020, 12:53   #5
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I haven't been on Facebook for over a year now. Best thing I ever did. I still use Twitter every now and again but that is just as toxic. I think the whole social-media experiment has ultimately proved that humans basically can't be civil and nice to each other when they disagree on a topic. Worse than that, people have their own core belief systems which cannot be moved no matter the evidence against it. Most trolls are basically cowards who hide behind anonymity.
I think people can be civil and nice even when disagreeing. Just not through the (perceived or real) anonymity of the internet.

That said, you are certainly correct that Facebook, Twitter etc are very toxic these days. I'm still happy to not be on there at the moment.
Quote:
Leave social media behind (apart from sites like this of course - hobby sites). General social media sites like Facebook and Twitter are just too toxic. Not good for humanity and sadly designed to be addictive and a tool for data-mining etc. Stop using them.
Oh, I'm not leaving EAB or anything. It's these big platforms that are the problem IMHO. This site is nice and focused on something ultimately rather pleasant to talk about. True, it can get heated over here as well sometimes, but it's well... Different somehow.

The only "big" platform I'm not leaving is Youtube. But that's because I like me some retro computing videos - I'm not really on there to debate
Old 13 January 2020, 12:56   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I try to minimise my time on Facebook. Most toxic website on the internet and full of rude, illiterate morons who can't even spell their own language.
I'm not sure if Facebook wins that award, Reddit is really, really, really, really high up there.

But at the end of the day it's people that are to blame, not websites. I can't really blame social media, people are simply too socially and mentally underdeveloped to have the discipline to behave in such environments. And there are not enough moderator tools available to keep such a massive population from eating itself alive.
Old 13 January 2020, 13:05   #7
roondar

I never even looked at Reddit. Let's just say it has a certain reputation for being a hive of scum and villainy (I don't know if it's deserved as I never checked, but it certainly kept me away from the site).

On the point of blame, I'd agree you can't blame Facebook as a site per se. However, the companies behind it do a lot to try and get as many people on there as possible and IMHO they are well aware that fostering the toxicity actually drives traffic. Kind of like how many news sites exaggerate stories on purpose or heavily politicize stories to get them clicks.
Old 14 January 2020, 10:24   #8
BastyCDGS

Send a message via ICQ to BastyCDGS
Hi gimbal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I'm not sure if Facebook wins that award, Reddit is really, really, really, really high up there.
Well, considering that the media almost always references Facebook when something bad happens, suggests otherwise...
Quote:
But at the end of the day it's people that are to blame, not websites.
If that were true, the tone in this forum (and others) wouldn't be better, too. There's a reason why moderators exist.
Quote:
I can't really blame social media, people are simply too socially and mentally underdeveloped to have the discipline to behave in such environments. And there are not enough moderator tools available to keep such a massive population from eating itself alive.
In fact, the algorithms of Facebook and others are designed for highest emotional response, which is why hate propagates so fast there.
It even has been shown that stuff like "Like" buttons trigger dopamine release in the brains. It basically works like a slot machine.
Old 14 January 2020, 11:19   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastyCDGS View Post
Hi gimbal!

Well, considering that the media almost always references Facebook when something bad happens, suggests otherwise...
The subject was toxicity, not bad things happening.
Old 14 January 2020, 15:26   #10
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
As someone who spends quite a bit of time on Reddit, I disagree. Yes it does have it's fair share of idiots, but it's still a great resource with a LOT of interesting information to offer.

Facebook isn't a resource, has no interesting information to offer, and has destroyed thousands of lives. Many people have committed suicide over facebook bullying.

Facebook also invade your privacy and sell your data.

No comparison in my opinion.
Old 14 January 2020, 16:16   #11
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I think it's not exaggerated to link some of the behavioural problems we can see on the "data-vacuum networks" to this : https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=100420
Old 14 January 2020, 16:59   #12
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
As someone who spends quite a bit of time on Reddit, I disagree. Yes it does have it's fair share of idiots, but it's still a great resource with a LOT of interesting information to offer.
What you're illustrating there is the same issue that all these platforms face: It all depends on who you choose to interact with, what parts of that platform you frequent, and so on. It's amazing the number of people who say Twitter is good and Facebook is bad, and yet similar numbers say the opposite. If you think Reddit is a decent place, then all you've done is avoid the cesspools that most certainly do exist there, and if you think Facebook is a bad place, then all you've done is not avoid the cesspools that most certainly do exist there.
Old 14 January 2020, 18:07   #13
Retro1234
Boo

All these company's belong to capitalist Fat Cats who don't pay tax and treat there staff like shit, Amazon being one of the worst but people don't want to See it because it's convenient.
Old 15 January 2020, 13:52   #14
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
What you're illustrating there is the same issue that all these platforms face: It all depends on who you choose to interact with, what parts of that platform you frequent, and so on. It's amazing the number of people who say Twitter is good and Facebook is bad, and yet similar numbers say the opposite. If you think Reddit is a decent place, then all you've done is avoid the cesspools that most certainly do exist there, and if you think Facebook is a bad place, then all you've done is not avoid the cesspools that most certainly do exist there.
I'd mostly agree with this, it's not so much Facebook as social media in general having "cesspools". That said, in many cases I got drawn to such cesspools not really by actively looking, but merely by stuff FB showed me because friends or friends of friends liked it or interacted with it.

My problem is essentially a case of lack of self control - I should simply not interact with these things, but... Then I do anyway and get unhappy as a result. Which is why I've now stopped. No way to get angry or upset about political/extreme left/right wing/outright hateful posts if you don't involve yourself with people who constantly clamour on about it.

The other thing is that FB, Twitter, etc make the group of people who do talk about/believe in all these subjects seem way, way bigger than they actually are. So you tend to start believing everyone feels/acts like that when in reality it's far more on the fringes than anything else.
Old 15 January 2020, 14:08   #15
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
The other thing is that FB, Twitter, etc make the group of people who do talk about/believe in all these subjects seem way, way bigger than they actually are. So you tend to start believing everyone feels/acts like that when in reality it's far more on the fringes than anything else.
Yep, this is key, the whole echo chamber effect. You'll see that in most places, even in such niches as the Amiga. Just spend some time on a few different Amiga forums and it'll be pretty obvious. But social media in the broader sense of Twitter, FB, Reddit etc. takes that and applies it to a far broader range of topics and a far larger audience, thus further amplifying it to extremes.