English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 27 January 2020, 13:17   #1
Glen M

Getting into blitz on Amiga

Over the last few weeks I've been trying to get back into some coding. Not done it to any great extent in years and while I've been tinkering with the likes of AREXX it was mostly basic I used back in the day (visual basic actually) and the syntax of that language just flows more naturally for me.

I've been following a good video tutorial series on youtube for learning blitz but its based around the PC version so the question is, before I go to far is there much difference between the PC and Amiga versions?
Old 27 January 2020, 13:21   #2
Daedalus

There's quite a difference between them alright, but it's mainly around the Amiga-specific stuff like dealing with the graphics chipset or Intuition. The basic syntax is very similar in most cases, so if you were doing simple text-only stuff, it would look very close. But opening screens, dealing with files, bitmaps, sprites etc. is all Amiga-specific and all different.

I have compiled some information in the Blitz section of AmigaCoding.com that might be of help. It's some information on getting started and descriptions and code snippets for lots of the fundamental commands.
Old 27 January 2020, 14:23   #3
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
There's quite a difference between them alright, but it's mainly around the Amiga-specific stuff like dealing with the graphics chipset or Intuition. The basic syntax is very similar in most cases, so if you were doing simple text-only stuff, it would look very close. But opening screens, dealing with files, bitmaps, sprites etc. is all Amiga-specific and all different.

I have compiled some information in the Blitz section of AmigaCoding.com that might be of help. It's some information on getting started and descriptions and code snippets for lots of the fundamental commands.
Thanks Daedalus, I'll take a look. Might need to drop you a PM at some point

I'm mostly just been toying with text and simple graphics to date. Don't want to go to far on the PC side if there is such a difference.
Old 27 January 2020, 17:58   #4
Daedalus

Well, the basic principles of how objects are handled etc. are similar so it won't do too much harm to play with the PC version. Simple stuff using OS-friendly commands are easy to deal with and swap in for the PC equivalents, it's when you want to shut down the OS and deal with the chipset directly that things get very specific.

I've just had a look and it seems AmigaCoding.com is down at the moment I'll send the webmaster an email later on, see if he can sort it out. In the meantime there are various Blitz tutorials that have been published in Amiga magazines that are mostly available online. I did one a couple of years ago for Amiga Future that's not available yet, but probably will be soon enough. Check out old copies of Amiga Format for example, when they had a Blitz demo on the coverdisk they had a bit of a tutorial to go with it. Also, IIRC Earok made some Youtube videos a couple of years ago that are worth a look.

Feel free to ask away