English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 08 June 2018, 00:40   #361
E-Penguin
Banana

Damn.

V6.1...
Quote:
1. Single hardware category. Submission should mention target Amiga hardware (OCS 1Mb,AGA,Anything) and judges may take into consideration appropriate use of resources when scoring.
Old 08 June 2018, 01:32   #362
Tsak

All good except for rule 2 imho. Main reason AmiGameJam got just so few entries was exactly because it expected games made FOR the competition itself. Now with rule 2, the best Amiga games currently in production simply cannot enter (which is a self goal before even the match begins).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Honestly, if I'd have to rewrite every line of code I did for Inviyya for a new game to enter this competition, I'd rather not compete.
Yup, this..

In any case, I wouldn't like to ruin the party (or the consensus).
so, just carry on. Whatever form this competition takes it's still a good thing

*edit: now that I see again Steril's comment and the talk before that, it seems I took it a bit out of context..ups

Last edited by Tsak; 08 June 2018 at 08:30.
Old 08 June 2018, 11:35   #363
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
it expected games made FOR the competition itself.
Personally that's a direction I'd like to go in, then everyone is starting from an equally blank state and is therefore more fair. But the general feeling is that's too much of a grey area when you start to consider code libraries, re-use of one's existing code from previous games, etc. We compromised on "a substantially new work" which is vague enough to allow the judges to use their discretion.
Old 09 June 2018, 17:04   #364
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

This thread went quiet for some time, which is a record for itself

Just to let people know, I'm waiting RCK answer to Ian (and then he answering to me ), no need to hurry, just to let people know the idea is far from dead
Old 09 June 2018, 21:38   #365
Amiten

Hi,

Would be good to define a little bit what Games can Compete in this contest

I mean For example a game that is in development before this contest start ,but never had release any where and only people had notice from some pics or vídeos I think is posible to compete.

The ones cant is the ones had been released all ready or are in development but are Commercials or have a demo release all ready.

A good idea also for that ones that are in development and no BODY had played never or tested before and to let the oportunity to compete in the contest due to this nature (the non release) is to ask to this ones or to all entries to add a mention of the EAB Contest in some part of the game then more games can participate I think.

How you see that ?

Enviado desde mi ONE LTE HD (ONE TORO) mediante Tapatalk
Old 21 June 2018, 19:19   #366
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Ok, would someone like to design a logo for the contest? Or even a full page?

We will have news about this very soon

If someone wants to make a logo for it (I have zero skills for that), the help will be welcome
Old 21 June 2018, 19:24   #367
sandruzzo

what about doing some fixed games' categories like: 3d, shooter, and on? Or even doing some conversion?
Old 21 June 2018, 19:48   #368
Ian
Global Moderator

As you can see the forum section is up, although there will be another added for the entrants to post in as previously mentioned in this thread so they can state the aims etc and post updates free from random forum chatter, there will obviously be a thread for each game in this forum for the discussion.

So if a logo could include EAB and coder.contest somewhere in it that would be great.
Old 21 June 2018, 19:51   #369
Amiten

How this Contest is called?¿ EAB Amiga Contest?¿

Last edited by Amiten; 21 June 2018 at 20:02.
Old 21 June 2018, 20:57   #370
Ian
Global Moderator

It's shatterhands idea so really up to him.

I would like it to be something like EAB coder contest or something like that as that will fit in with the forum name we have given it but it really doesn't matter.
Old 21 June 2018, 21:07   #371
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiten View Post
How this Contest is called?¿ EAB Amiga Contest?¿
I really didn't think about a name. AMIGA GAME DEV CONTEST is what I've been calling it.

"EAB GAME DEV CONTEST" imo sounds good enough. What you guys think ?
Old 21 June 2018, 21:13   #372
Ian
Global Moderator

Without the shouting, yeah go for it
Old 21 June 2018, 21:14   #373
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
Works for me.
Old 21 June 2018, 21:20   #374
betajaen

I'm so on for this.

Question, are we allowed to stream/blog our work on it? Or does it have to be super secret?
Old 21 June 2018, 21:33   #375
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I really didn't think about a name. AMIGA GAME DEV CONTEST is what I've been calling it.

I think Amiga should be in the name, eab doesn't mean anything to people beyond the English Amiga Board (if you aim to let non community members know about it)
Old 21 June 2018, 21:39   #376
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by betajaen View Post
I'm so on for this.

Question, are we allowed to stream/blog our work on it? Or does it have to be super secret?
Yes you can. We will create threads on this sub-forum for each entry. The developer may keep updating his post about his entry as many times as he wants, and surely he can blog/stream about it.
Old 21 June 2018, 21:56   #377
Ian
Global Moderator

So my current plan is, there will be a separate sub forum for just the entries, this will contain a thread with a single post that the entrant can update as they progress, or a thread where the entrant can post as much as he or she likes. (This will probably not be enforced automatically, however I will move and clean up as necessary if others do post in these threads)

These will be the only posts allowed though, any discussions will be held in a similar thread in this section.

I like this as it's going to be a clean way to keep us updated about your progress, much like the popular system that happens at other dev forums where several of the posts are reserved for updates, but with the separation there will be no need for that.

By the time of the judging, there will probably be a private forum setup with assigned access for judges to converse and discuss things, although a judges scores will be there own.
Old 21 June 2018, 22:52   #378
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
So if a logo could include EAB and coder.contest somewhere in it that would be great.
Where's DH when you need him?

Oh yeah, that right... "In a Pub"
Old 22 June 2018, 00:24   #379
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post

Cool.

Do you know what resolution the flyer needs to be?

Also start/end dates?

I'll have a bit of a crack at it at the weekend... it'll probably be really shit though.
Old 22 June 2018, 01:38   #380
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
As you can see the forum section is up, although there will be another added for the entrants to post in as previously mentioned in this thread so they can state the aims etc and post updates free from random forum chatter, there will obviously be a thread for each game in this forum for the discussion.

Quote:
It's shatterhands idea so really up to him.

I would like it to be something like EAB coder contest or something like that as that will fit in with the forum name we have given it but it really doesn't matter.
Hmmm, not really sure this fits under the Coders section as a sub-section at the very bottom of the list. Not good for exposure...

I mean, from my experience over the many years on EAB, only really coders visit this section frequently so a "Game Competition" is out of place here.

We really need another, new, seperate section on EAB called "EAB Game Contest" or something

If people are in agreement; I'll point RCK to this post so he can make the appropriate changes.