English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 05 November 2005, 20:11   #1
Npl

Capture "internal"

I think it would be nice if you could record the "raw" representation of Pictures in AVI-Files. I mean storing the bitplanes, mode, palette, copperlist and whatever else would be necessary to draw the Picture and optionally compress that data or just store the structures that actually changed from the last frame. Together with a AVI-Codec that "decompresses" the Data in an actual image this IMHO would be the best solution for efficient and lossless recording (not to mention that you could actually mess around with display-options afterwards).
Similary the raw-Sound could be stored and then, at playbacktime via AVI-Codec, upsampled with highest quality and no lag.

Last edited by Npl; 05 November 2005 at 20:16.
Old 05 December 2005, 13:37   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do you mean saving statefiles every frame (only changing parts + compression) and moving part of display emulation to codec? Hmm, sorry but I don't see any point
Old 05 December 2005, 19:08   #3
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Do you mean saving statefiles every frame (only changing parts + compression) and moving part of display emulation to codec? Hmm, sorry but I don't see any point
Only the part significant for display. Store the bitplane-Memory for the finished frame, the Sprites used, Palette, etc. And of course the Copper-List.
Im prolly oversimplifying here, as I know the Copper can do any kind of weird things like switching to interlaced mode mid-frame and such. The basic Idea was however, that scrolling games often just change the display-position of bitplanes, leaving them the same as before, so there`d be no need to store bitPlane-Data again - effectively cutting down size.

{
numBitplanes
bitplanesDataChanged[numBitplanes]
bitplanePos[numBitplanes]
paletteColors[]
numSprites
spritesData[numSprites]
spritespos[numSprites]

// Palette-Changes during drawing, position change of Bitplanes
// position change of Sprites, prolly alot other things needed
changes[]
}