English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 December 2003, 10:24   #21
Drake1009

What exploit would that be? The disc switching exploit?

Actually you can use an exploit but you have to take apart some of your PS2 and use a knife every time you want to boot a pirated game.

*Kicks PS2 for not being compatible with certain Konami PS1 games*
Old 17 December 2003, 14:26   #22
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
*Kicks PS2 for not being compatible with certain Konami PS1 games*
Any particular ones,Drake?
*Nervously glances at Suikoden* (not backup, original version)

Perhaps it should be ,"Kicks Konami for not writing totally O/S legal/clean version??". Not trying to suck up to Sony, but haven't stuck anything that hasn't worked from PS1->PS2 yet, myself.
Old 17 December 2003, 18:42   #23
Drake1009

I bought MGS and MGS special missions (2 boxes not the compilation)

The MGS special missions is an "expansion pack" which in reality means that when you start the special missons it want to verify you have the original CDs, and then when it's done that nothing else.

Problem is that the PS2 having a tray (my guess) doesn't close as quickly, so it fails the verification before the tray was in again.

At any rate it can't verify the disc 1 of the original MGS disc, neither disc 1 nor 2. Meaning I can't play it.

ePSXe crashes my computer when I try to run it through there before the disk swap request. And AdriPSX gets to the verification but will not even try to verify the CD either. Not even play the verifying CD animation.

From what I can find on newsgroup history and other links on Google Konami says it's a problem Sony introduced with their PS2, Sony on the other hand says there's no problem.

Apparently though it's only Konami games which won't run.
Old 17 December 2003, 19:02   #24
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Problem is that the PS2 having a tray (my guess) doesn't close as quickly, so it fails the verification before the tray was in again.
Unless the trey takes about 5 minutes to go back in, I doubt it. As until the drive actually reads the disc, everything is the same. Loading the disc back in is just like cliping it in and shutting the lid on the original.

It's probably down to the way that the drive reads the disc, and ends up saying "no" because it doesn't get the same result. Same way that some PC games have problems with different drives due to it not reading the protection correctly.
Old 17 December 2003, 19:36   #25
Drake1009

The thing which made me say it might be the tray is because the verifying animation starts as soon as I press the eject button to close the tray again and it gives the wrong disc message about half a second after the tray is finally in. Whereas the PS1 only registers the new CD is inserted when you shut the CD the rest of the way.
Old 17 December 2003, 19:38   #26
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
The thing which made me say it might be the tray is because the verifying animation starts as soon as I press the eject button to close the tray again and it gives the wrong disc message about half a second after the tray is finally in. Whereas the PS1 only registers the new CD is inserted when you shut the CD the rest of the way.
That puts a new spin on it and leads me to believe that you may be right. Which isn't good as that could affect more than one game, and my idea could also affect games too
Old 17 December 2003, 20:34   #27
Drake1009

Well maybe the verifying animation is only there when it's trying to read even though it's not closed?

The emulator that I got to not crash when running it didn't display the animation when I changed disc. It denied right off the hook.