English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 January 2018, 16:24   #1
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Warning! Windows 10 Users.

Today I let my PC install the Feature Updates for Windows 10 version 1709 and discovered that it have an auto shut off function for incompatible programs and games. No matter how and what you do, GameBase 1.3 will be permanently shut off and maybe other of your old favourite programs or games will follow. You can't even get it to run in Compability Mode or other ways. This have to be fixed by the developers of GameBase if they still work on it for the PC.

I have found a solution to my problem with GameBase 1.3 today. Install this file on top of your GameBase 1.3, gamebase-setup-v1.3-update.exe. You will find it in the Download section.
All your data will not be changed after this install. Problem solved.

Last edited by ma693541; 24 January 2018 at 14:03. Reason: Solution Found.
Old 21 January 2018, 18:25   #2
honx

it's a matter of common knowledge that this dreaded windows 10 breaks almost everything...
Old 21 January 2018, 18:31   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It does? I must have missed it completely.
Old 21 January 2018, 19:32   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

But there is indeed something annoying about the latest 2 cumulative updates (with the CPU security fixes included). After that my PC runs like crap, everything is jerky/choppy. Once i've reinstalled my ATI drivers all emulators, games and videos are smooth again. There was always a performance loss of 1-2 frames after the MS updates.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 21 January 2018 at 21:38.
Old 21 January 2018, 20:51   #5
AmigaRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
it's a matter of common knowledge that this dreaded windows 10 breaks almost everything...
It is only because Toni Wilen deduced it from a bug report I made today that I now know that my Windows 10 build has never updated from the original release which was installed over two years ago. That is in spite of it continually wanting to switch my machine off for updates, for example when 8 odd hours into a Vegas video render.
Old 21 January 2018, 20:59   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Drivers getting reverted to some basic version can be normal if Windows decides current drivers are not compatible (better than crash at boot!)

"Nothing working" is something that is reported by very vocal minority as usual. No one bothers to say anything if everything works fine.

If you read some HW forums, you would think nothing would work at all, all nvidia drivers suck, all ati/amd drivers suck, windows suck, PCs suck. It seems whole world 100% suck and they still manage to post. I don't think that can be true, at least 100% true
Old 21 January 2018, 21:13   #7
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

My Windows 10 (1709) still runs everything fine. WinUAE still works just as well (my emulated systems still report the same in speed test), Lightwave 2018 still renders as fast as it did previously. I've been very pleased with Windows 10.
Old 21 January 2018, 21:43   #8
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Drivers getting reverted to some basic version can be normal if Windows decides current drivers are not compatible (better than crash at boot!)
Better a basic driver than a BSOTD, agree BUT not all users are novice or dumb. So letting the user know something will be turned off before applying an update is a sort of respect some SW/HW manufacturers seems to miss .
It's up to the user to choose which applications he wants to run on his computer (not MS/etc. choice) .
User experience ? Good marketing stuff !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
If you read some HW forums, you would think nothing would work at all, all nvidia drivers suck, all ati/amd drivers suck, windows suck, PCs suck. It seems whole world 100% suck and they still manage to post. I don't think that can be true, at least 100% true
You are damn right !
Old 21 January 2018, 22:15   #9
jmmijo

Well I'm currently updating my VM I use for Work purposes and so far nothing out of the ordinary.

The HOST machine is also running Windows 10 Pro with an AMD FX-8350 CPU and 32GB of RAM.

I dedicate 4 CPU cores + 8GB of RAM to my VM and it runs great.

Using VMware Player v12.xx

Really thinking I will upgrade to the VMware Workstation app as it has some features that would come in handy for me.
Old 21 January 2018, 22:16   #10
Ian
Global Moderator

I find it hard to believe anyone runs updates anyway.

Clean install and quit that whining.

As I run the insider preview I usually do it 2-4 times a month and rarely have problems even running the preview.
Old 21 January 2018, 22:40   #11
jotd
This cat is no more

Windows is not as well designed as Linux, but the best program on Windows that Linux doesn't have is ... Winuae
Old 21 January 2018, 22:58   #12
BarryB
Amigaholic

services.msc > Windows Updates > Startup type: Disabled > OK
Old 21 January 2018, 23:11   #13
DamienD
Banned

I have to use Windows 10 at work and am in the middle of a 1.5 year office rollout to 1200 people...

Yeah, it's fine for me doing business things...

...but, will I upgrade my 2 x Windows 7 *emulator* heavy laptops though; no chance!!!

Well, not in the next few years anyway.
Old 22 January 2018, 08:14   #14
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Well, my bank advice me to have Windows 10 updated for my day to day work on my own bank account. So the rule is; if you use your Windows PC for banking or other important stuff, keep it updated at all time.

Last edited by ma693541; 22 January 2018 at 08:18. Reason: More info.
Old 22 January 2018, 08:18   #15
chip

I'm using Windows 7 to run WinUAE
So, what's the suggest for WinUAE emulation ..... never update to Windows 10 ?
Old 22 January 2018, 08:32   #16
phx
Natteravn

That's a general advice, if you care for your privatesphere.

Better would be no Microsoft/Apple/Google products at all, but if you need Windows, then run 7 as long as possible...
Old 22 January 2018, 08:47   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
I'm using Windows 7 to run WinUAE
So, what's the suggest for WinUAE emulation ..... never update to Windows 10 ?
Obviously version I use

Don't make Windows 7 2020s Windows XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Just no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I find it hard to believe anyone runs updates anyway.

Clean install and quit that whining.

As I run the insider preview I usually do it 2-4 times a month and rarely have problems even running the preview.
I have used fast ring insider previews since they started and i think I have only done 1 or 2 reinstalls Nothing interesting has happened, updates have worked fine.

--

Main reason for problems is bad hardware and/or bad drivers and bad PSU. Later Windows versions don't like drivers that do bad things that may have accidentally worked in previous versions. (Especially anti virus programs like doing this..)

One "real" problem with later Windows 10 updates is weird fullscreen D3D9 behavior in some situations (I think it happens if "plain" D3D9 is used, not D3D9Ex because I haven't noticed it affecting WinUAE which uses D3D9Ex) where Windows opens borderless fullscreen mode and makes program to think it is using real fullscreen. This is not always very optimal..
Old 22 January 2018, 13:54   #18
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Exactly, just use WSUS Offline Updater, but I'm no masochist with desires of constant battling my system so I'm good with a 7/Linux combo.
Old 22 January 2018, 14:30   #19
Sinphaltimus

Windows 98se, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 10, all my favorite versions of the Microsoft OSes. There are issues that arise with Windows 10 every so often but nothing that I haven't been able to resolve. I love it, I think Bravo M$ for the work and continued work to make it better.

In regards to updates messing with preinstalled software, the only time anything like that has happened is occasionally, for whatever reason, a piece of software (Like UNITY or Particle Illusion) will think you have the software installed on a different machine and ask to be reactivated. Which so far, has not caused any major issues outside of (in the case of particle illusion) contacting the publisher and getting authorized for reactivating.

The biggest issue I ever had with Windows 10 is my Start Menu stopped working. Both instances were due to DropBox. Uninstalling DropBox fixing then reinstalling dropbox fixed it the first time, the second time it happened was because DropBox freaked out over the fact that I windows shared my local DropBox folder on my LAN- for some reason that messed up the sync and caused my Start Menu to stop working again. Removed the share properties and everything returned to normal.

I've been a Windows PC user since the day I sold off all my original Amiga gear and purchased my first 486DX266 Desktop with WFW 3.1 - I hated it compared to WB3.1, tough pill to swallow.... yet here I am some 27 years later, back on the Amiga. And Windows, And Linux.... OSes are tools and we fill our toolboxes with what we need for when we need it. Some are better than others for certain things, there is no ONE OS to rule them all. They are just tools...... If you hate windows 10 because it sucks and breaks everything, then don't use it. Whatever you use should bring you some level of happiness unless you're forced against your will to do it; And if that's the case, it might be time to rethink some life choices.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 22 January 2018 at 14:34. Reason: Fixed some typos
Old 22 January 2018, 14:38   #20
ma693541
Computer Wizard

I don't hate Windows 10. I like Linux Mint and I love all of the Amiga OSes.