English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 25 January 2011, 00:28   #1
trydowave

sprite creation tool

Hi all. Dunno if this is the correct place to post this thread but here goes:

I want to create some small animated sprites (about 3-5 frames). I would like to know if Pro Motion is a good choice (I have v4.7) and I was wondering if the files could be shared with an Amiga, in Winuae and if so what format?

Thanx in advance for any help.

P.s. Would be great to talk to anyone who's done this recently or has had experience in sprite creation before.
Old 25 January 2011, 09:33   #2
pmc
gone

I've got ProMotion. I know you can use it to make animated .gif images and I know it can save in .iff format but Amiga sprites are slightly different. They are defined in their own type of data structure as described in the Amiga Hardware Reference Manual.

You could draw the sprite frames in ProMotion and then save each of them separately as .iff images and then use one of the Amiga image converters that are available to save the data as sprite data structures for use in your own program or whatever.

Bear in mind that Amiga sprites can be a maximum 16 pixels wide (unlimited height) and only four colours (three plus transparent).

You can "join" sprites (by sticking two together - called attached sprites) where the sprite can then be 32 pixels wide (again unlimited height) and up to sixteen colours (15 plus transparent).