English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 April 2006, 22:30   #81
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath
I've always preferred zsnes to snes9x, in my opinion it's definitely the better of the two.
When originally making the DVD about 1 year ago I did actually try both emulators... I'm trying to remember what issues I had with zsnes.

Does the patched Star Fox 2 run on znes?

Luckily, if you prefer to use zsnes it's quite easy to update the DVD. I'm going to give zsnes another try and see how it goes
Old 16 April 2006, 22:58   #82
Macca
Zone Friend

I guess it would be nice to have a choice.

I'm currently doing a C64 DVD and I'm going to try and have a choice between CCS / Vice / etc. and then link to any reg files for the settings.

I must admit with SNES9X I have a massive problem with the sound (Sound Blaster Audigy 2) and this does crash a few games. It's nothing major but can be a pain now and again.

DVD's almost done now after that last file.

Superb job in my opinion mate.
Old 16 April 2006, 23:30   #83
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca
I guess it would be nice to have a choice.

I'm currently doing a C64 DVD and I'm going to try and have a choice between CCS / Vice / etc. and then link to any reg files for the settings.

I must admit with SNES9X I have a massive problem with the sound (Sound Blaster Audigy 2) and this does crash a few games. It's nothing major but can be a pain now and again.

DVD's almost done now after that last file.

Superb job in my opinion mate.
Thank you kind sir.

Having a choice is a good option, I'll need to have a play around to work out what I need to change in order to make this happen
Old 17 April 2006, 00:28   #84
DamienD
Banned

Having a choice of emulator...

After having a quick think about this, there's one small problem:

The emulator to use is set in one of the front end's .ini files. Now, I could have 2 different .ini files, one for snes9x + one for zsnes, the user selects which emulator they would prefer and then this gets copied across to where necessary. The problem is that you are then unable to use this SNES DVD straight from the DVD drive and would have to copy everything to the HDD

One way to still keep the "playing from DVD" functionality would be to have 2 directories say FRONT END_SNES9X and FRONT END_ZSNES (each with the needed .ini file inside). Of course you then take up more space on the DVD but not really a big deal as there's heaps of room...

I need to investigate some more
Old 17 April 2006, 02:01   #85
DamienD
Banned

Tried out Zsnes and checked out all the settings / options. It's quite a nice emulator and does have more functionality than Snes9x...

However I have some bad news... unfortunately Zsnes does not use the registry but instead writes everything to a file called zsnesw.cfg and zguicfgw.dat. This would mean that I would need to have different versions of these files for:

... Different video settings (Normal + Scanlines + default)
... Different controls (Xbox + PS2 + HotRod SE/X-Arcade + default)

Just to get the same choices that I have through pre-configured options / settings for Snes9x would mean that I need way too many sets of files. i.e. "Normal video + Xbox controls", "Normal video + PS2", "Normal video + HotRod SE/X-Arcade", "Normal video + default", "Scanlines + Xbox controls", "Scanlines + PS2" etc...

...and of course this also means that you are unable to use this SNES DVD straight from the DVD drive and would have to copy everything to the HDD.

So I can only think of one solution, I can include Zsnes but you would only have a standard setup of 800x600 normal video with default keyboard controls... If you wanted to change the video settings or the controls then you would first need to copy this DVD to the HDD and then change the desired settings / options.

What do people think

Last edited by DamienD; 17 April 2006 at 02:23.
Old 17 April 2006, 02:24   #86
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
I could test it on my Compaq IPAQ (Desktop PC not hand held) thats a pIII 1 ghz tho it has shit built in graphics, 256mb ram and not a lot else (it's my Warlords 3 machine running win2000) However at the moment it dosent have a cd/dvd drive it does have network built in but my network is down at the moment stuck with 2 way (pc / xbox) as my Netgear modem/router packed in (not having a good time am i )

I've used Zsnes and Snes9x for many moons on many systems from a cyrix 166 upwards so don't think it's down to tasks running in the taskbar and why would one work perfectly and not the other seems v.strange to me!

Also another IDEA for you m8 have u heard of these AiO (All in One) disks the guy who is best at them is called Vertigo173, basically he does a loverly front end for cd/dvd's with various tools including gorgeous icons etc. I thought maybe they might help you make a prettier front end autorun etc rather than via the batch file method your using right now! Take a look at demonoid.com and search "AiO" and you'll get a return on them i've downloaded quite a few from Down and Dirty with Dvdshrink to an Actuall AiO disk creation system and guide by Vertigo173 himself! (with the tools needed to create them) Take a look m8 i am sure you will not be dissapointed!
Old 17 April 2006, 02:26   #87
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

damn 5 posts @ least in the time it took me to write one reply lol
Old 17 April 2006, 02:31   #88
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek2k
I've used Zsnes and Snes9x for many moons on many systems from a cyrix 166 upwards so don't think it's down to tasks running in the taskbar and why would one work perfectly and not the other seems v.strange to me!
Yeah, it sems very strange to me also and most probably won't fix anything. Trying to think about what could be causing this for you guys as it's perfect on both my laptops and they are not exactly great spec...

Quote:
Also another IDEA for you m8 have u heard of these AiO (All in One) disks the guy who is best at them is called Vertigo173, basically he does a loverly front end for cd/dvd's with various tools including gorgeous icons etc. I thought maybe they might help you make a prettier front end autorun etc rather than via the batch file method your using right now! Take a look at demonoid.com and search "AiO" and you'll get a return on them i've downloaded quite a few from Down and Dirty with Dvdshrink to an Actuall AiO disk creation system and guide by Vertigo173 himself! (with the tools needed to create them) Take a look m8 i am sure you will not be dissapointed!
Cheers for the suggestion, I'll take a look on demonoid.com

Last edited by DamienD; 17 April 2006 at 03:18.
Old 17 April 2006, 09:33   #89
Macca
Zone Friend

Is there any way to path them?

I.e. Run Zsnes via a command to point to the ini files. With this method you could have different options on the Autorun and just have options for ZSnes (Xbox), etc. it might get a bit tiresome though I suppose having to have all the options.
Old 17 April 2006, 14:05   #90
DamienD
Banned

Hmmm, just been onto the Zsnes webpage and read all the documentation. Seems you can run games through a command line but not a specific configuration / settings file. I've also visited the forum and searched but to no avail. Finally, I tried the DOS version of Znes but no command line available for this either

Looks like the all I can do is what was said previously:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
So I can only think of one solution, I can include Zsnes but you would only have a standard setup of 800x600 normal video with default keyboard controls... If you wanted to change the video settings or the controls then you would first need to copy this DVD to the HDD and then change the desired settings / options.
What do people think, should I at least include this option

Last edited by DamienD; 17 April 2006 at 14:26.
Old 17 April 2006, 14:39   #91
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

yeah go for it! if ppl wanna tweak the settings later they can do and to be honest the options ain't hard to tweak not even for instant play merchants! and of course the emulators always run better from the hd anyway!
Old 17 April 2006, 14:50   #92
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
yeah go for it! if ppl wanna tweak the settings later they can do and to be honest the options ain't hard to tweak not even for instant play merchants! and of course the emulators always run better from the hd anyway!
Hey sarak2k, thank for the feedback.

I've thought about it some more, this is what I can do in terms of Zsnes:

... If you select the option to run the straight from the DVD then you would just have the standard setup of 800x600 normal video with default keyboard controls.

... If you select the option to copy everything to the HDD then I can have the different pre-configured zsnesw.cfg and zguicfgw.dat files copied across.

I need to ask you a favour though if that's ok? As I don't have a Playstation 2, I gave away my PS2 USB adapter to a friend. I only bought this in order to create the original configuration files for Snes9x, didn't need it afterwards.

If I send you the different zsnesw.cfg and zguicfgw.dat files for PS2 controls can you remap the buttons, save the files and send them back to me so that I can include these options? There will be 2 different sets i.e. "Normal video + PS2" + "Scanlines video + PS2". There's no TV mode...
Old 17 April 2006, 16:05   #93
DamienD
Banned

Hey guys,

Another cool feature will be added...

Autorun with a nice screen that automatically kicks off when the DVD is inserted and then runs my SETUP.EXE program when the button is clicked (see attached image).

Many, many thanks to Macca for the initial design and tips on what program to use in order to create this

... now just to add in the Znes emalutor stuff and edit the SETUP.EXE to copy across the selected options. After that I think we are close to the final product! Watch this space...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AutoRun.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	10818  
Old 17 April 2006, 16:38   #94
Macca
Zone Friend

Hi mate.

Seems excellent - it'll be a sad thing to see it completed in a way as it was a great project to help with (sadly not many people nowadays require help with old dos commands - lol)

Be great to have the definitive update!
Old 17 April 2006, 16:38   #95
SexyWayne
Zone Friend

Are you still taking requests for the DVD?? If so I wouldn't mind a copy, pretty please, or is it close to being uploaded?
Old 17 April 2006, 16:50   #96
DamienD
Banned

No problem SexyWayne. As you've mentioned though I'm sort of close to updating it again with the new stuff like Zsnes.

This will take me a while to get everything all setup / tested
Finally, I also need the assistance of sarek2k to setup all the PS2 remapping. As said above I'm unable to dop this myself as I gave away my PS2 USB adapter...
Old 17 April 2006, 17:06   #97
StarEye
Zone Friend

Weird, tried to burn an updated version of the disc but when I tried reading it afterwards on the exact same drive I get "Access denied".
Old 17 April 2006, 17:13   #98
SexyWayne
Zone Friend

Quote:
No problem SexyWayne. As you've mentioned though I'm sort of close to updating it again with the new stuff like Zsnes.

This will take me a while to get everything all setup / tested
Finally, I also need the assistance of sarek2k to setup all the PS2 remapping. As said above I'm unable to dop this myself as I gave away my PS2 USB adapter...
That's OK, I'll wait till you get it exactly as you want it
Old 17 April 2006, 17:28   #99
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
Weird, tried to burn an updated version of the disc but when I tried reading it afterwards on the exact same drive I get "Access denied".
Hey StarEye,

Hmmm, let me think about this. "Access denied" is when running the setup.exe?

You did use the file modified3.zip and followed the instructions exactly as specified in post #75?

Say you copied everything to the D: partition, you can test the setup.exe out before burning to make sure it works.

Can you e-mail me a screen capture of your directory structure where you copied the whole DVD to and after all the update?
Old 17 April 2006, 17:56   #100
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Hey StarEye,

Hmmm, let me think about this. "Access denied" is when running the setup.exe?

You did use the file modified3.zip and followed the instructions exactly as specified in post #75?

Say you copied everything to the D: partition, you can test the setup.exe out before burning to make sure it works.

Can you e-mail me a screen capture of your directory structure where you copied the whole DVD to and after all the update?
I followed the instruction. I think there's something wrong with the burning, haven't tried again later.

But the Access Denied is when I try to read the actual disc, I can't even get in to see the contents.