English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 14 March 2020, 07:35   #1
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Floppy disk Where did the Underground-Gamer / bitGamer community go?

Lost my interest in retro a decade ago but was wondering lately, what's up and how does it look like now.

Maybe I could help seed some shit now that I'm on fiber, too, who knows...

Link me.

Last edited by Shoonay; 14 March 2020 at 09:42.
Old 14 March 2020, 14:02   #2
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Some people of BG are on Gazelle Games. It has collections of retro stuff contained within its numerous collections.
Some people from UG are also there and might help you find your way to a place closer to what UG was.
Old 14 March 2020, 15:17   #3
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I am a proud member of PleasureDome tracker with a very favorable ratio (12), it has many romsets as you may know. I don't rebuild MAME each time a new version comes out, so most of the times, I just idle there, uploading latest MAME romset. Did grab Amiga TOSEC there, probably in a relatively incomplete state. As an aside, would be grateful to someone putting me the whole shebang on a USB flash drive. If you have too much time on your hands, maybe you can participate in SETI@home project.
Old 15 March 2020, 09:43   #4
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Some people of BG are on Gazelle Games. It has collections of retro stuff contained within its numerous collections.
Some people from UG are also there and might help you find your way to a place closer to what UG was.
And per usual is locked for newcomers without a way to sign up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
I am a proud member of PleasureDome tracker with a very favorable ratio (12), it has many romsets as you may know.
Oh yeah pleasuredome, I totally forgot about it. It is probably a godsend for new people who want to get into emulation, although very confusing with it's numerous different namings (merged/non-merged/split), but for those who already played everything, the individual and very, VERY detailed approach on UG was like a journey to the candy store - every new torrent was like xmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
If you have too much time on your hands, maybe you can participate in SETI@home project.
LOL, what's that got to do with anything?

It's the exact opposite of "having time on your hands", it's for people who leave their home and the computer on idle, not those who actually want to use it.
Old 15 March 2020, 17:01   #5
SquawkBox

Code:
  • In Non-merged sets every ZIP file contains every file needed to run the game stored in the zip file. Any game can be pulled out of the set and stored by itself and it will still work. Non-merged sets stamp the biggest storage footprint of the three types.
  • In Split sets the files are split into parent machine and software sets and clone machine and software sets. Parent sets contain the files common to their child clones. The clones contain only the files that differ from the parent set. This saves storage space but both the parent and its clones are required for the games to work. If you want to share a game with a friend you need to share the game’s parent set and its clone (or clones) that you want to share.
  • In Merged sets the parents and clones are bundled together in the same ZIP file. Merged sets take a little less storage space than split sets but have the advantage of related files being packaged together which means they are easier to find and share with friends.
Explained another way, with non-merged sets, even when games A, B and C share some of the same files required for them to run, each game is still packaged with its own copy of all the files required for it to run. If each game has 3 files in common + 1 unique file then each game still ships with 4 files as a self-contained unit (that would be 12 files total for the 4 games). With split sets, when games A, B and C share some of the same files required for them to run, each game is treated as a clone of the other. The unique files required by a clone are packaged into 1 ZIP per clone and the files common to all 3 clones are packaged in a separate ‘parent’ ZIP. If each game has 3 files in common + 1 unique file then each game clone ships with its 1 unique file, and the 3 common files are supplied in their own parent set (6 files needed instead of 12).
Source : journalxtra.com/mame
Old 15 March 2020, 17:31   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Archive.org has tons of Roms and ISOs Full Sets today.
Old 15 March 2020, 18:57   #7
SquawkBox

Despite PD alleged flaws, it might be a good idea to seed for a few weeks latest MAME romset there. Once you have obtained a good ratio, you might try your luck with Gazelle Games invites rules. I've noticed using a SeedBox is recommended too to apply for an invite, best of luck!
Old 15 March 2020, 20:12   #8
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

The-Eye.eu has tons of roms and sets, including complete eXo DOS and Win311 collection. A lot of that is on Archive.org as well.
Old 15 March 2020, 21:07   #9
SquawkBox

Well, I know the-eye, bold attempt at an extensive repository, but not much more than a roms & isos download site, in essence. Also, as a side note, Win 3.1 games are fun and convenient "desk" games, but games from the DOS era is where the meat and bone is IMHO.
Gazelle Games (GGn) has PS4 games for those who care for such things, and maybe our cat lover is eager to join a "l33t" community to participate e.q. seed actively (I am not being ironic). Such privilege would require jumping through hoops as described on the invites trading forum I linked in order to apply for one (he already qualifies for the speed test criteria, that's one out of three, good ratio on some private tracker qualifies for second criteria, so on so forth all the way up to full membership).

Last edited by SquawkBox; 16 March 2020 at 14:54.
Old 16 March 2020, 16:06   #10
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Haha you guys, you've obviously never been active ug members if you think this is about roms...
But enough talk, I got what I wanted, thank you for those who tried and helped.
Old 16 March 2020, 17:31   #11
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Ahh, midget pr0n...
Old 16 March 2020, 20:35   #12
SquawkBox

Btw, Pirate Bay, while seemingly lower on seeders than during its heydays, is still going strong.
Old 18 March 2020, 10:58   #13
dreadnought

The torrent scene is nothing like it was back in the day, and most likely never will be again. Sure, you can find the most common sets here & there, but the really rare and original content is often unseeded, even on the under-underground trackers. Any hostile DMCA motion from the industry would blow even these resources into dust. It's quite a sad state of affairs.
Old 18 March 2020, 12:31   #14
SquawkBox

Even something as common as Japanese PS2 ISOs are nowhere to be found. Last time, I was looking for an ISO of SLPS-25558 aka Japanese version of Neo Geo Battle Coliseum (unlike EU and US version, Jap DVD offers 480p display mode). Only some Chinese web site seems to have it, trouble is said web site requires registration and to install a download assistant. Everywhere else, it's MIA or dead links.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 18 March 2020 at 13:49.
Old 18 March 2020, 13:26   #15
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Oh torrents are out there for sure, they just went deeper underground than that Jamirooquaiguy or what's his name...
Old 18 March 2020, 14:05   #16
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
than that Jamirooquaiguy or what's his name...
Jay Kay.
Old 18 March 2020, 15:37   #17
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Oh torrents are out there for sure, they just went deeper underground than that Jamirooquaiguy or what's his name...
Like I said, it doesn't matter how deep underground you are, the seeders are disappearing or seeding only the most popular stuff.
Old 18 March 2020, 22:30   #18
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I tried grabbing an older mame romset from archive.org for retroarch...

Its been sitting at 97% for a few months now.

Old 19 March 2020, 00:09   #19
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
I tried grabbing an older mame romset from archive.org for retroarch...
Care to mention the romset you're after, maybe I can put my googling skills to use.

@Shoonay
Apply to an account at GGn, and be done with it. Not a big deal I am sure. In just a few clicks, I could come up with official help channel (no idling policy, not made for asking invite, but it should be possible to check in and out quickly) and RED, a possible partner tracker. My guess is should "happy few" EAB members were also on GGn, they wouldn't tell about it anyway. Heck, maybe I will try to apply there subsequently, and let you know folks how it turns out. Only potential issue is that I am not too sure how one is supposed to deal with seedboxes .
Old 19 March 2020, 00:16   #20
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

It was 0.159 around 31gb