English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 March 2005, 10:26   #1
Dave_wb

Sony cd-rom CDU-55S

Hi guys,
I have bought a surf squirrel and attatched the above cd-rom to it.However when I use SCSI Mounter to locate the device it is picked up on UNIT 3 - status ready,but when I try to mount it I get the error message ERROR: INVALID RIGID DISK BLOCK.I also have an IDE CD-ROM Drive but could'nt get that to work at all.So SCSI is foolproof I thought - let's get one - it will be a doddle.HAH LIKE HELL IT IS.Please help a rapidly "going nuts" man who is starting to believe that all cd-roms have got it in for him.Yours in deparation Dave
Old 16 March 2005, 11:26   #2
TikTok

I'm sure many people would not describe SCSI as foolproof!

How is your termination set? Any other SCSI devices in the chain? Are you using Workbench 2 or 3?
Old 16 March 2005, 11:55   #3
thomas

Mounter cannot be used to mount a CD-ROM drive, it is only good for HDD partitions (hence the message about an invalid partition table, a CD does not have such).

You need to download and install a CD-ROM driver like AmiCDFS or CacheCDFS.

For the IDE drive you also need an ATAPI driver in addition to the CD-ROM driver because the internal IDE driver does not recognise ATAPI devices. Get IDEfix97 (the software only) for this, it also contains CacheCDFS.
Old 16 March 2005, 15:16   #4
Dave_wb

cd rom

Hi Thomas,
I will do as you suggest and give it a go.Thanks for explaining the error message.It now makes sense - If I can build Pc's and use Bill Gates wares (I know it sucks) then I should get there eventually.I cant believe just how great workbench is.Commodore had a real winner with this O/S and let it all slip from thier fingers.I use my latest PC less and less now - I have swapped the A1200 roms from 3.0 to 3.1 so that I may eventually install 3.5.Thanks again and happy Miggying
Dave
Old 16 March 2005, 18:46   #5
lloyd
Mehh :D

Apart from the fact I use the "classic" Squirrel rather than the surf version, (and a Teac CD 55s not a Sony 55s), my setup seems to be the same as yours.

Have you installed the Squirrel drivers?

Have you installed a CD filesystem driver? (such as Ami CDFS)?

SCSI mounter doesn't need to mount my CD drive, seems like it's auto mounted.... I do have to mount the 4 gig SCSI HD tho......
Old 17 March 2005, 08:29   #6
Jope
-

A CD drive is seldom automounted, you need a dosdriver / mountlist.
Old 21 March 2005, 11:28   #7
Dave_wb

Hi again guys,
I have a 1200 v3.1 kickstart roms v3.1 workbench with 4 meg fast ram and a surf squirrel connected to a CDU-55S cdrom drive.I cant get this drive to run so in desperation I reformatted the hard drive (internal 2.5inch 2gig) and started from scratch.I installed the squirrel software and AmiCDROM software.When I rebooted the miggy it freezes up right at the end of the boot up sequence.If I remove the scsi the machine finishes booting within a quarter of a second.If I plug the squirrel in at any time after boot up it simply freezes up again.I dont know anything about scsi but I have ensured that the unit=3 is the same as jumpered on the back of the cdrom and am now at the end of my tether.I dont have a manual so could it be terminated correctly? I dont know how to do this so could that be a problem?I have a stack of Amiga Format CDs and cant use them.Please help as I am STUCK.Will wait for any replies in anticipation and all that and everything
Dave
Old 21 March 2005, 11:42   #8
thomas

Well, this was a big step into the wrong direction IMHO. You should get back to the point where both HDToolbox and Mounter show your CD-ROM drive in the list. This should happen with the Squirrel software only.

Now install the CD-ROM driver. But *do not* copy the CD0 icon to Devs/DosDrivers but to Storage/DosDrivers, so it will not be activated during start-up.

Up to here the system should not freeze.

Now manually activate the CD-ROM driver by either double-clicking the CD0 icon or by entering mount cd0: in a shell window.

If now the machine freezes, IMHO it is a software problem. You should try a different driver. There are AmiCDFS and CacheCDFS as I mentioned above. Both are more modern than AmiCDROM. Doesn't the Squirrel software contain a CD-ROM driver ?
Old 21 March 2005, 14:27   #9
TikTok

And please - don't plug the Squirrel in with the power turned on - it can't do it any good I'm sure.

Off topic: Though once i saw somebody plugging in one PCI network card after another, while the power was on, wondering why Windows 95 couldn't recognise each one! But that was a PC, and it doesn't matter if they get fried....
Old 21 March 2005, 19:55   #10
lloyd

Wish I could help - my SCSI setup works fine!

Only thing I can think of (else I wouldn't have posted) is: Is there a jumper on the rear of the CD drive that "self terminates" the drive? I have one on my 55S Teac drive, and it NEEDS to be set. Silly question, but can you find anything about jumper settings on the net?
Old 21 March 2005, 21:27   #11
Dave_wb

Hi Lloyd,
That sounds more than plausible but I have now obtained a manual and it states that the cable is self terminating.does that sound right to you as the 50 way cable looks the same at either end.There does not appear to be a switch on the rear of the cdrom drive....eeeeek
Old 21 March 2005, 21:35   #12
Dave_wb

Hi Thomas,
I used the squirrel master disk to install the drivers and the miggy locked up.I cant boot the machine successfully with the squirrel in the pcmia slot.I havent even got to the point of the program detecting the cdrom at all.I cant use scsi mounter coz I cant get that far in the install process.I know what you are thinking...how did England beat us 5-1....it was a fluke - trust me - it was a fluke
Old 21 March 2005, 21:35   #13
lloyd

SONY CORPORATION

CDU-55S

Device Type CD-ROM
Interface SCSI-2
Spin Rate 2x
Formats Supported CD Bridge, CD-DA, CD-XA (mode 2, form 1 & 2),
CD-I (mode 2, form 1 & 2), CD-I Ready, CD-ROM
(mode 1 & 2), CD WO, Photo-CD
View Top

CONNECTIONS

Function Label Function Label

Audio line out CN1 Frame ground terminal CN2

USER CONFIGURABLE SETTINGS

Setting Label Position

Factory configured - do not alter JP1/1 Open

» Allow insertion & removal of CD's by JP1/2 Closed
command or eject button

Prevent insertion & removal of CD's JP1/2 Open

» Parity enabled JP1/7 Closed

Parity disabled JP1/7 Open

DRIVE SELECT ID

Drive ID JP1/4 JP1/5 JP1/6

0 Open Open Open

1 Open Open Closed

2 Open Closed Open

» 3 Open Closed Closed

4 Closed Open Open

5 Closed Open Closed

6 Closed Closed Open

7 Closed Closed Closed
Old 21 March 2005, 21:40   #14
Dave_wb

Thanks Lloyd,
You know how you hear about these thick buggers who just dont get it......I have the jumper setting on the back of the cdrom as 3...are you saying I should have it as 1 and that is the problem....nervous laughter ....which is now close to hysterical...all I want is a cdrom that works....aaaarrgghh!
Old 21 March 2005, 21:43   #15
lloyd

Above (my previous post) is all the data I could find on this drive. Seems like it's quite old, and therefore I wonder if compatibility is a problem.

Termination of cables - well, I think they mean that your cable should be terminated, and yours obviously isn't. A terminated cable has a "box" at one end (the end that goes into your drive) and is basically just a handfull of resistors, and I'm not sure if you can get them anymore.

Still, you'll be pleased to know that there is a work-around. If you attach another SCSI device to your SCSI chain whish IS terminated, then the CD drive will be too. See, you only ever terminate the end of the SCSI chain - so you could attach a hard drive to your SCSI chain, set the jumpers so it's ID is 4 (your CD is ID 3?) and the CD should be terminated provided that the HD is at the END of the chain.
Old 21 March 2005, 21:47   #16
lloyd

To answer your question, no - you can have the CD drive set to any of the 7 available IDs. Looks like our messages crossed in the ether.

I have here an old (triple speed) CD ROM reader. It's an old Creative Labs jobbie and I can assure you it works fine with the Amiga. It's surplus to requirements as I use a Teac SCSI CD writer (a 55s funnily enough) on my Mig. Yours for the cost of the postage. And yes, it does self terminate (heh heh)

The ONLY catch I can see tho is that it uses CD Caddies..... I'll bung one in with the package tho so it ain't that bad. The idea was, you're supposed to store your ROMS inside the caddies and then just bung in whichever caddy held the CD you wanted to look at. Problem with only having one tho is it's a pain in the arse to keep taking out the caddy, taking out the CD you looked at, replacing it with the one you want ad infinitum...
Old 21 March 2005, 22:11   #17
lloyd

Dave, you need to edit that last post and remove your address. you never know who's gonna read it.

PMs are for that sort of stuff dude.

Will have the drive in the post to you by the weekend, and I really don't want anything for it, honestly.
Old 21 March 2005, 22:35   #18
Dave_wb

Hi Lloyd,
Good thinking - i have done as you suggested - but I still must pay you something for it! I have to sign off for tonight now but have a think on how much you would like for it
Thanks again
Dave