English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 November 2004, 22:12   #1
Boot_WB
Novice in the Black Arts

blizzard 1230iv scsi no longer registers :(

I have an a1200 with blizzard 1230iv & scsi controller.
For one reason or another I ended up plugging the scsi cable in the wrong way round (pin 1 into socket 25, etc) on the internal header.
Eventually realising my mistake I reversed the cable, but now the SCSI bus will no longer register when I run the supplied software (scsi tools disk from phase 5) - there's just nothing there.
Strange thing is the ram still registers (which is great, but would like scsi bus aswell).
Any ideas? Have I blown the scsi bus or some chip on the 1230 board itself? Is it repairable?
Surely Phase 5 - leaders in their field - would have protected their product against eeediots like me?

All help appreciated.
Old 20 November 2004, 22:13   #2
lloyd
Mehh :D

Ok, can you test the SCSI devices? Either try the SCSI drives on another controller (PC etc) or try a different SCSI device on the Blizzard? That'll identify which device is buggered. Cos, if ya blow the SCSI chip, the RAM WOULD still show up in WB cos the SCSI controller is just that - a controller.....

You're not an idiot, I've done this before with floppy drives - not blown anything up tho thankfully...
Old 23 November 2004, 21:16   #3
Boot_WB
Novice in the Black Arts

Hi,
Thanks for replying, advice much appreciated & followed

"Ok, can you test the SCSI devices? Either try the SCSI drives on another controller (PC etc) or try a different SCSI device on the Blizzard?"

Tested scsi devices on another machine - they work fine. Have also tried other scsi devices on the bus - no worky.

"Cos, if ya blow the SCSI chip, the RAM WOULD still show up in WB cos the SCSI controller is just that - a controller....."

The blizzard scsi controller is a seperate plug-on module which adds onto the accelerator, and has its own 72 pin simm socket on it, additional to the socket on the accelerator itself.
Before the accident the scsi bus registered as a device (device #0 - I think) in the configuration software, but it no longer shows up - this suggests that it is 8u99ered, but I was hoping someone may have done this themselves before.
Strangely the ram attached to the scsi module is still present, suggesting that in some way the device is registering.
I'm confused..... know anyone who worked for Phase 5 in R&D on these things?
Old 23 November 2004, 22:01   #4
lloyd
Mehh :D

Wish I did dude! I suppose you could try re-installing the drivers, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. Can ya buy another controller? I'd hate to be without my Squirrel and the Cd drive.......
Old 24 November 2004, 02:11   #5
Galaxy

Are you able to test the board in another A1200?
Old 24 November 2004, 02:26   #6
Boot_WB
Novice in the Black Arts

Hey all,
Thanks for all advice, have tried & failed.

"I suppose you could try re-installing the drivers"
It autoconfigured the first time I put it in, have tried removing & rebooting using just the floppies (ie fresh workbench) - nogo. Also tried running the scsi config software, still nogo :¬(

"Are you able to test the board in another A1200?"
Fortunately I am lucky enough to have a spare 1200 motherboard (all praise to ebay), and tested it on this, alas nogo :¬(

I count my blessings that everything else still works ok, and will try to get a zorro scsi board as a workaround.
Have fitted spare mobo into a compaq deskpro - fits fine, except backplate needs taking off, psu needs moving, and case needs raising to accomodate zorro cards. Still, cost me £0 so far, and it's an extremely relaxing pastime....

....have just customised an AT psu to run the micronik busboard (can't afford a mediator). And to think how happy I was in 1991 with my 1 meg upgrade for my A500....