English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CARE

Old 25 December 2008, 04:09   #1
hitchhikr

Some disassembled games with debug infos.

It may actually interest you or not, here are some more or less reversed games (they should all work perfectly when re-assembled):

- Driller.
- Zool II CD32.
- Spy Vs Spy II - The Island caper.
- Spy Vs Spy III - Arctic Antics.
- Thexder.
- Alien Breed SE. (No debug infos but largely decoded).
- Ultima 3.
- Feud.

I didn't work on them too much but thanks to the debug infos present in the executable files they're nearly completely disassembled already and much easier to understand.

All games has been modified to run from hard drive.

Some more CD32/CDTV games with debug infos:

- Road Kill (CD32).
- Bump' N' Burn (CD32).
- Nigel Mansell's World Championship (CD32).
- Kid Chaos (CD32).
- The Clue! (CD32).
- Defender Of The Crown (CDTV).
- Trivial Pursuit (CDTV).
- Mind Run (CDTV) (Contains the complete AMOS source code).

Last edited by TCD; 04 April 2011 at 20:44.
Old 25 December 2008, 21:36   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhikr View Post
It may actually interest you or not, here are some more or less reversed games (they should all work perfectly when re-assembled):

- Driller.
- Zool II CD32.
- Thexder.

I didn't work on them too much but thanks to the debug infos present in the executable files they're nearly completely disassembled already and much easier to understand.

there are other ones:

- EOB series (resourced by cfou! and converted to AGA)
- Battlechess (ressourced & reassembled by me)

I have written a little "resourcer" which tries to convert jsr -124(a6) to actual LVOs names. Cfou! used it in his EOB conversions, and I use it on a daily basis to resource/understand code when WHDLoad kickemu emulation does not work 100%.
The program is inaccurate, but works most of the time. A cool thing would be to couple this to AROS and a 68k -> C converter (I wrote a very basic one) to make native executables (provided that the game only uses the OS not hardware banging). Mindwalker comes to mind, and other old games.
Old 25 December 2008, 21:41   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Thanks, might get useful for those of us skilled in game making

/me is now waiting for a level&graphics editor for Zool 2
Old 25 December 2008, 22:15   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

If someone is interested by an asm resourced code of any DOS game that I whdified, let me know.
Old 26 December 2008, 14:40   #5
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:

- Driller.
- Zool II CD32.
- Thexder.

You`ve disassembled the hole game executable!
Ive had a quick look and assembled Zool 2 CD32 and runs strate from HD with no slowdown and uses joystick.
I dont know if youve seen this thread.http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=19359.

Edit:It also plays a mod in game and works with Music and FX!
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=41510

One problem i did have was I couldn`t trigger the bomb - What have I over looked?
Also would it be possible to give an example how to change the code back to using a CD32 Pad?

The Code was easy to Assemble just download this file
http://mail.pb-owl.de/~frank/vbcc/20...amigaos68k.lha
and execute makeit.bat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
Thanks, might get useful for those of us skilled in game making

/me is now waiting for a level&graphics editor for Zool 2
That would be great Zool 2 has got a good engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
If someone is interested by an asm resourced code of any DOS game that I whdified, let me know.
Do you have any basic examples of altering game map data?

Last edited by Retro1234; 26 December 2008 at 15:00.
Old 26 December 2008, 14:43   #6
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Zool 2 has got a good engine
*cough*slowdowns *cough*
Old 27 December 2008, 10:12   #7
hitchhikr

I uploaded a new version of the zool 2 source code (same url) and re-introduced the original cd32 joypad reading (there's a switch constant at the beginning of the source), the assembled z2 exe uses cd32 pad.
Old 27 December 2008, 10:52   #8
jotd
This cat is no more

careful when reassembling: use phxass OPT 0 or resolve/dc.b ALL strings and more generally data. Strings have the tendency to disassemble as branch instructions, and if you optimize the re-assembly, all offsets are shifted: the in-game text is corrupt. ORI.L #0,D0 is ok unless optimized away... You can safely replace all ORI.L #0,D0 occurrences by dc.l 0.

Some disassemblers such as IRA / d68k detect ascii strings & data, but it's not 100%

@Boo boo: no, but I guess the maps are loaded in memory, so if you find the map file, figure out where it's loaded (by resourcing AllocMem & DOS Open/Read calls), and you can patch it.
I figured out a part of Chaos Engine CD32 map data. I guess that if I change the data files, I can alter the levels (but maybe only the background images, not the logic around so no great interest)
Old 27 December 2008, 11:59   #9
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
I uploaded a new version of the zool 2 source code (same url) and re-introduced the original cd32 joypad reading (there's a switch constant at the beginning of the source), the assembled z2 exe uses cd32 pad.
Thanks for that quick update Ive checked and all works fine. Maybe you could add spin attack and bomb for those Non CD32 joypad users at some point
Great Work!!!

@JOTD Hi thanks for your reply - Id like to have a little look at moving some tiles in a platformer even a PD one - but I guess moving the collision data/tiles and repositioning enemies would be hard work and thats just a Dos game - but just look at Exl`s SF editor. Keep digging into Chaos Engine:-)
Old 27 December 2008, 12:08   #10
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
@JOTD Hi thanks for your reply - Id like to have a little look at moving some tiles in a platformer even a PD one - but I guess moving the collision data/tiles and repositioning enemies would be hard work and thats just a Dos game - but just look at Exl`s SF editor. Keep digging into Chaos Engine:-)
If you want to move tiles/create levels, check my Gods remake (in Java): editor included

I'm more and more motivated by a Chaos Engine remake, and I'd like to learn more about CE data files. But I hope I won't have to resource the game. It's one thing to change controls in a game / add a trainer / remove the protection but it's another thing to understand the game mechanics and change it. Even with the source code it would be difficult.
Old 27 December 2008, 15:10   #11
BlueAchenar
Not dead yet!!! :D

Quote:
Do you have the asm resourced code to Shadow of the Beast?

I'm interested in converting it to portable SDL.

Edit: Centurion, Leander, Immortal, Z-Out would also be nice

Edit2: Dune!!!! I didn't see that one in the list at first. Please, please!

Last edited by BlueAchenar; 27 December 2008 at 15:23.
Old 28 December 2008, 16:46   #12
hitchhikr

Modified Zool 2 options screen to allow the player to select cd 32 pad/two buttons joystick or 1 button. I don't know if this work as planed though.
Old 28 December 2008, 19:27   #13
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Modified Zool 2 options screen to allow the player to select cd 32 pad/two buttons joystick or 1 button. I don't know if this work as planed though.
Had a little play - its turning into a Deluxe Zool 2
Maybe the bomb could be triggered by the Space Bar for joystick users.
I think it was the "B" key on the original.
Old 28 December 2008, 22:18   #14
hitchhikr

I forgot about the smart bomb, now it's fixed: when using 1 or two buttons joysticks the space bar can be used to trigger it (as a matter of fact the keyboard wasn't handled at all).
I also fixed a bug with the cd32 blue button when having several smart bombs. Same url.

I think the colors of the background planes should be a little bit darker so the action would be less confusing, also the pc and jaguar version have much better gfx.
Old 28 December 2008, 22:44   #15
Exl

Quote:
I'm more and more motivated by a Chaos Engine remake, and I'd like to learn more about CE data files. But I hope I won't have to resource the game. It's one thing to change controls in a game / add a trainer / remove the protection but it's another thing to understand the game mechanics and change it. Even with the source code it would be difficult.
I've dug into the Chaos Engine level format too before, but ended up getting stumped on a lot of the data. A shame, because aside from that I had everything in place for a remake. It really is far more complicated than I had ever imagined...

I've attached most of the stuff I found out (along with a bunch of some map's data tables dumped). I have a program that can view and explore pretty much all the maps, and display the things described in the tables, as far as I've figured them out. The only thing not described in it are the music transitions, but they're pretty simple stuff.
Attached Files
File Type: txt tabs.txt (32.4 KB, 738 views)
Old 28 December 2008, 22:56   #16
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
I forgot about the smart bomb, now it's fixed: when using 1 or two buttons joysticks the space bar can be used to trigger it (as a matter of fact the keyboard wasn't handled at all).
I also fixed a bug with the cd32 blue button when having several smart bombs. Same url.

I think the colors of the background planes should be a little bit darker so the action would be less confusing, also the pc and jaguar version have much better gfx.
Thats Great!!! -I never seen the pc or Jaguar version and always thought the AGA version was very good but I think what your doing/done is great.

@EXL I was just wondering if in the future you planned to expand frogger to support and other games?
Old 28 December 2008, 23:07   #17
Exl

Quote:
I was just wondering if in the future you planned to expand frogger to support and other games?
Not really. If I find another game that I can dissect I'll probably use Froggy and build on it from there to make something separate.
Old 29 December 2008, 14:02   #18
hitchhikr

Added the hi-scores saving and darkened the background colors a bit so it should be complete now.

Last edited by hitchhikr; 29 December 2008 at 14:29.
Old 30 December 2008, 22:19   #19
BlueAchenar
Not dead yet!!! :D

Sorry for the persistance, but could you make those sources available JOTD?
Old 31 December 2008, 10:08   #20
hitchhikr

If it's the source code of dune II you're looking for i've disassembled that one some times ago (no debug infos) but for some reasons it crashes when starting a game after the title sequence, i can try to fix it and put it online if that's the one you're interested in (unless it has already been disassembled and reconstructed before).

Last edited by hitchhikr; 31 December 2008 at 10:30.