English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 September 2015, 18:46   #1
aperez

SCSI2SD+microSD bundles in stock and ready to ship from USA

Hi folks,

I recently coordinated with Michael McMaster, SCSI2SD creator, and together, we completed the largest factory production run of compact 3.5" SCSI2SD adapters to date. I have several rev 5.0a bundle options available for sale and shipment from the US immediately.

SCSI2SD with 256MB True Industrial Grade Single-level Cell microSD card $59.99

SCSI2SD with 8GB SanDisk consumer-grade microSD card $65*

Last edited by aperez; 04 April 2016 at 22:13. Reason: Updated Q2 2016 bundle pricing
Old 26 September 2015, 17:17   #2
Yulquen74

Are there any technical spesifications for this device with regards to sustained transfer speeds?

does it work with SCSI 1 controllers using 50pin interface?
Old 26 September 2015, 19:58   #3
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

I applaud the initiative but nowhere on the item description does it explains what the darn kitten does.

I think linking to an external web site for documentation is not sufficient, there should be a proper explanation of the features and use cases of the device directly on the item description.

I will not buy one of I have no clue what it does.

Note: I can deduce what it does, but my point is that I should not have to. Facts above guesses.
Old 26 September 2015, 20:00   #4
tnt23

This is interesting! I was thinking of getting one for my 3000. I would too like to know how does it behave in terms of speed. However speed does not matter that much, but versatility does
Old 27 September 2015, 18:11   #5
aperez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulquen74 View Post
Are there any technical spesifications for this device with regards to sustained transfer speeds?

does it work with SCSI 1 controllers using 50pin interface?
Yes, and yes. The device can speak both SCSI-I and SCSI-II, and can be configured to ONLY speak SCSI-I if need be, with the scsi2sd-util. As for performance, sustained transfer speeds of up to

Read performance ranges from ~2 MBytes/sec to 2.6MBytes/sec, depending on the transfer size. Write performance ranges from 125 Kbytes/sec all the way up to 2.3MBytes/sec.

The device also supports DMA since Firmware version 3.5, which was released back in July of 2014. This is important as we all know, as it has the very real potential to cut down on CPU load significantly in the context of any classic Amiga, when compared to the IDE interfaces. Latency is also very, very low compared to what you can expect from a decrepit rotational hard disk, which also makes a big difference when it comes to things like boot times. Throughput can be important, but it isn't everything.

The boards I have for sale are pre-flashed with firmware version 4.4, the very latest as of this writing.
Old 27 September 2015, 18:22   #6
aperez

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt23 View Post
This is interesting! I was thinking of getting one for my 3000. I would too like to know how does it behave in terms of speed. However speed does not matter that much, but versatility does
In terms of versatility, I don't think I'm overstating when I say this device has everything else beat, at the moment. It can simultaneously emulate up to four SCSI floppy drives, tape drives, hard disks, CD-ROM, and generic removal media (think floptical drives, etc), with user-definable sector sizes, sector counts, parity, unit attention, SCSI IDs, and device sizes.
Old 27 September 2015, 19:15   #7
supaduper

this should well with the CDTV then, ones that have a SCSI adapter , hhmmmm looks like the wallet coming out again LOL
Old 28 September 2015, 07:02   #8
bubbob42

I tried firmware 4.4 yesterday with the old version of the board and my 3000 still detects 7 devices instead of 1. Any suggestions how to fix this?

The only machine working fine with the device has been the CDTV when I bought the device a year ago. Partitioning on the Amiga didn't work, though - only using a card prepped with WinUAE did.
Old 28 September 2015, 07:34   #9
Jope
-

Are they detected as separate SCSI IDs or separate LUNs inside one ID?

First try to reconfigure your SCSI2SD, if that doesn't help, disable the additional LUN support with setbatt. http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/SetBatt-1.2
Old 28 September 2015, 09:54   #10
mikele

do they work with old Macintosh computers like Classic and SE/30?
Old 28 September 2015, 17:41   #11
aperez

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikele View Post
do they work with old Macintosh computers like Classic and SE/30?
Yes, absolutely. They are widely used in the Macintosh retrocomputing community. I just used one to boot several 030-based Macintosh LCs this weekend replacing the loud (and slower than scsi2SD) stock 80MB HDDs with the SCSI2SD.
Old 29 September 2015, 12:57   #12
dirkies
Zone Friend

Cool cheap SCSI alternative!

But how does this behave on a CyberSCSI? Need to disable LUN reselection too? (I have an AztecMonster (CF instead of MicroSD) which does not support reselection, but at least it blows away at 9MB/s on my CSmk2 060 SCSI2)

Some test reports would certainly boost sales with the Amiga SCSI owners!
Old 02 October 2015, 17:26   #13
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Are they detected as separate SCSI IDs or separate LUNs inside one ID?

First try to reconfigure your SCSI2SD, if that doesn't help, disable the additional LUN support with setbatt. http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/SetBatt-1.2
Thanks for encouraging me to try again

- Multiple LUNs were disabled, but the config of SCSI2SD was not saved properly. The device seems to be a bit picky with long USB cables and I had to wait for 20 seconds after connecting it to the PC before my mouse became usable again.

The drive now works fine in my A3000 (stock 030/25). Transfer speed is below 1,3 MB/s, but access times are great. Noise reduction is a welcome bonus.

The Aztec Monster is in another league speedwise, but that monster will only work with my A4000T.

Last edited by bubbob42; 07 October 2015 at 19:08.
Old 06 February 2016, 19:08   #14
matt3k

Anyone try this in a warp engine yet?

If you have a cyberstorm card, please get a acard 2000. Transfer speeds will be around 25 megs per second with a good SSD. For a stock 3k I get over 4 megs, but for the price difference this looks to be a good value.

The Acard doesn't work on a warp engine, so I was hoping to pickup one of these.

Thanks!

Old 10 February 2016, 09:20   #15
kneehighspy

i would love to see some larger, amiga wise anyway,companies pick up and help out selling and shipping products.

i ordered a nice product, from what i could tell from the website, amost 2 months ago, even paying for tracked shipping and their preferred payment option of paypal gift.

after countless number of the emails going unanswered just for an enquiry if my purchase has slipped or shipped, still nothing.

this is the first time of my many many orders from various people and places over the net i have ever had this issue.

i think in the future i will not use paypal gift again and just pay the extra 4 or 5 percent markup, atleast i would have a non gift type payment leg to stand on. with paypal.

i am not gonna share the company, or person for that matter cause i hate to lose money, but i am also sure they would hate to lose business and potential monies, but theres no telling in the future if i stick by that option or not, for much longer anyway, cause i am sure the amiga business is not their main job or income. i wouldnt want to cause this seller any potential income

but its been almost two months. apparently this user has some noteriety in the amiga community. its not that i havent been patient, its been almost 2 months since i ordered, i am really wanting and looking forward to this hardware. even an email on the status would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

kneehighspy.
Old 10 February 2016, 10:08   #16
dirkies
Zone Friend

please share, or do you prefer other people getting scammed like you seemingly are?

(ps: if you talk about kipper2k, please be patient, he WILL get back to you eventually!)