English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 01 December 2006, 17:17   #1
Bloodwych

ClassicWB Xmas updates

I'll be updating the classicwb packs around xmas time as usual guys. Hopefully a similar time to KG's WHDload packs, so updates can be done at the same time.

As well as the normal file updates (SFS, WHDload), there will be an extra new feature that will increase performance, especially on 030+ systems but 020 users will benefit too!
  • Under the tools menu will be a new option to enable or disabled FBlit and FText (see below). This function allows some blitter functions to be moved to the CPU and speeds up the display considerably (depending on your CPU)! It also saves chipram by allowing certain graphics into fast, especially on the ADVSP version and any other folders with Newicons (like WHDload games).

It wasn’t installed before as I had some issues using it with Scalos – now all seems well. If you have any issues with it, it can easy be disabled (from the tools menu). After a reboot the normal blitter will once again be used.

• Dual boot. The right mouse boot feature has been improved - you can now boot into a Scalos free environment running no patches, only standard workbench similar to a default install (see below). FBlit and Ftext will remain active or inactive, depending on what you have selected in the tools menu, but all other patches will be gone. You can run whatever screenmode and fonts you want in this standard workbench without affecting your normal Scalos environment as it saves settings in a separate folder.

This is great for compatibility issues, or if you want easy access to a workbench with maximum resources and chip/fast ram (AGA games)!

One tip about launching AGA/CD32 games – drag its icon onto the main workbench and close down ALL windows to run with max chipram. Seems obvious, but I have witnessed people leaving windows open when a game needs all 2MB. Or of course launch it from the pure shell/cli mode.

The pure cli mode from the left mouse button will also remain.

I'll post in the update thread once the packs are ready.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClassicWB_fblit.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	12642   Click image for larger version

Name:	ClassicWB_rmb.png
Views:	362
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	12643  

Last edited by Bloodwych; 01 December 2006 at 17:53.
Old 01 December 2006, 19:30   #2
Marcuz

it sounds cool, and it's always great news the ones regarding you working on ClassicWB. my question is will these tweak bring improvements under winuae too?
Old 02 December 2006, 00:07   #3
Bloodwych

Absloutely - any configs using native AGA graphics emulation will gain from a faster workbench, especially those running without JIT cpu's. Saving chipram under emulation only comes into play if you have problems running the extra winuae allows (4mb chip vs 2mb on a standard Amiga).

FBlit and Ftext are not required for P96 workbenches, so it won't affect those versions, but I will be releasing a new UAE pack for running WHDload games at the same time as the above updates.
Old 02 December 2006, 09:06   #4
Ultron
Something

nice
Old 22 December 2006, 12:59   #5
Bloodwych

I've moved some posts from here to the Feedback thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=14640
Old 26 December 2006, 14:05   #6
Anubis
Retro Gamer

This is great!!!