English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 November 2017, 21:26   #1
Foebane
Banned

Why is HAM so underrated?

I personally think it's awesome! Have Agnus display all 4096 colours with no CPU overheads, and with reasonable quality still images as well! It even looks better interlaced!

What I find baffling is how people say they hate HAM because it can't be used for games. Well, you have 32 out of 4096 colours on screen already, isn't that enough for you? No other platform has so many colours on screen at once, and here you have this amount with sprites and a copper, too! (imagine this conversation in 1985 and you'll see what I mean). It's still progress, but don't demand too much, it's not possible!

Besides, I think a HAM game is perfectly possible on Amiga. At best, you'd have to reduce the horizontal resolution to one/third to accommodate the RGB components of each pixel, and best to reduce the vertical resolution to one/third as well, just to make for square pixels. Then you could achieve all manner of cool results, with animation, but it would just look really lo-res and chunky. Heck, it would be better off if you tried it in HAM8 hi-res! Oh wait, some AGA demos do that already and they look frickin' awesome! "Tint" by The Black Lotus for a classic example that runs on an expanded A1200!

So don't say games aren't possible in HAM! This mode needs more love!
Old 30 November 2017, 21:32   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

There was thread about HAM used in games, like Journey To The Center Of The Earth.
Old 30 November 2017, 21:48   #3
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
There was thread about HAM used in games, like Journey To The Center Of The Earth.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=70527
older:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=5973
Old 30 November 2017, 22:30   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I personally think it's awesome! Have Agnus display all 4096 colours with no CPU overheads, and with reasonable quality still images as well! It even looks better interlaced!

What I find baffling is how people say they hate HAM because it can't be used for games. Well, you have 32 out of 4096 colours on screen already, isn't that enough for you? No other platform has so many colours on screen at once, and here you have this amount with sprites and a copper, too! (imagine this conversation in 1985 and you'll see what I mean). It's still progress, but don't demand too much, it's not possible!

Besides, I think a HAM game is perfectly possible on Amiga. At best, you'd have to reduce the horizontal resolution to one/third to accommodate the RGB components of each pixel, and best to reduce the vertical resolution to one/third as well, just to make for square pixels. Then you could achieve all manner of cool results, with animation, but it would just look really lo-res and chunky. Heck, it would be better off if you tried it in HAM8 hi-res! Oh wait, some AGA demos do that already and they look frickin' awesome! "Tint" by The Black Lotus for a classic example that runs on an expanded A1200!

HAM mode is fine for static images, not so great for a fast action game, hence why all the big HAM mode announcements like Dynamite Debugger were quietly shelved when they realised that HAM mode had its limitations.

Also, 512k Amigas were the norm for quite a while, HAM images are quite large in size, around 76K for one HAM mode screen, which is precious memory on a 512k Amiga.
Old 30 November 2017, 22:35   #5
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Or Time Gal!!!
http://pixelglass.org/TimeGal

FMV of this quality for OCS? Hell yeah! Kinda makes you wish Dragon's lair and Space Ace were made that way back in the days... But yes, only with cd and extra memory.
Old 01 December 2017, 00:12   #6
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Or Time Gal!!!
http://pixelglass.org/TimeGal

FMV of this quality for OCS? Hell yeah! Kinda makes you wish Dragon's lair and Space Ace were made that way back in the days... But yes, only with cd and extra memory.
I'd heard of Time Gal from an AVGN video for the Mega CD, had no idea it had been converted to Amiga!
Old 01 December 2017, 00:13   #7
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
HAM mode is fine for static images
This says otherwise: [ Show youtube player ]

Look around, there are plenty of Amiga HAM demos.
Old 01 December 2017, 00:28   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I'd heard of Time Gal from an AVGN video for the Mega CD, had no idea it had been converted to Amiga!

Have you been living under a rock or something? Time Gal - LaserDisc Anime gets a special Amiga release by ReImagine Games!
Old 01 December 2017, 00:44   #9
Foebane
Banned

DamienD, I honestly did not know about these games until recently, let alone this one! I'm pleased to see at least one 80s Anime laserdisc game for Amiga, in full HAM glory!
Old 01 December 2017, 01:07   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
This says otherwise: [ Show youtube player ]

Look around, there are plenty of Amiga HAM demos.
Thats nice.

but you're not really comparing HAM mode on AGA Amigas when I clearly referenced A500's with 512k of ram are you?
Old 01 December 2017, 06:06   #11
Foebane
Banned

It shows what the hardware is capable of, given enough resources.

Even your modest spec allows games like Pioneer Plague, which is astounding in itself.
Old 01 December 2017, 08:34   #12
britelite

Quote:
It shows what the hardware is capable of, given enough resources.
Yeah, it's capable of a 160x100ish resolution without crawling to a halt...
Old 01 December 2017, 08:42   #13
britelite

Quote:
If you want more HAM-games then start making HAM-games.
Old 01 December 2017, 12:09   #14
NorthWay

I always thought you could do a very nice pinball game in HAM. If most moving parts were hw sprite outlined you could hide the 3-pixels delta needed to get to the pixel value to the right of the sprite.
Old 02 December 2017, 00:44   #15
AmigaBill

Quote:
Earock was nice enough to come on my stream and talk about his projects including TimeGal if you are interested in learning more about it. The TimeGal part is at 51:35 if you want to skip to it. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/205040344
Old 02 December 2017, 12:25   #16
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
I always thought you could do a very nice pinball game in HAM. If most moving parts were hw sprite outlined you could hide the 3-pixels delta needed to get to the pixel value to the right of the sprite.
Sprites are displayed on top of HAM screens without affecting HAM colors.
This means you don't even have to care about the right of the sprite.