English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 January 2019, 12:51   #41
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
If 90% of the world's people use it there will be a reason, I know and use many OS but Windows is the only one that offers me and satisfies my needs
Fine. My favourite icecream is vanilla.
Old 24 January 2019, 12:59   #42
AMIGASYSTEM

I'm not against Vampire, but I do not like how its proponents argue badly about WinUAE as if it were an antagonist, forgetting that without WinUAE the Vampire could not exist.
Old 24 January 2019, 13:05   #43
ShK

Still wrong topic. Apollo core team does not even use Windows and upcoming new Amiga has nothing to do with WinUAE.
Old 24 January 2019, 13:07   #44
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
What's there not to understand? I don't own a Windows PC.
And I clearly said in my post that I understand that plenty of people don't have Windows PCs. I would be one of them too if I didn't have a need for certain Windows-only stuff.

Quote:
However, I do own a PC that suits all my daily computing needs and that is NEITHER a Windows PC NOR an Amiga.
As do I. More than one, in fact.

Quote:
To run WinUAE I would have to either buy Windows or a Windows PC.
In my post I spoke of UAE variants on many different platforms. WinUAE is just one, but even if you felt you had to run WinUAE above any other UAE version, you still don't need to run Windows. My main UAE use is on my laptop, where WinUAE runs very happily under Linux via WINE. I also use FS-UAE occasionally (they share hardfiles), but prefer the winUAE interface.

Quote:
Buying a V4 to do Amiga things (and very fast at that) is an alternative to having to get a Windows PC.
Indeed, if your sole reason for getting a PC was Amiga emulation. That's the bit I find strange... If people don't want to use Windows, it's highly likely they have another main computing device that can run UAE. If they're ok with running Windows on their computer, well they already have it then, and won't need to buy a new PC just for UAE.

Quote:
This is not the same as saying that the V4 will make ANY type of modern PC superfluous.
Exactly my point. Well done.

Quote:
Are you getting it now or are you just here to troll another Vampire-related thread?
Why so defensive? See above. I already understood everything so far, but it's funny that you automatically start getting mad.
Old 24 January 2019, 13:32   #45
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
In my post I spoke of UAE variants on many different platforms.
You were referring to a post that was clearly a reply to someone who has been stressing (repeatedly in this thread and elsewhere) that WinUAE is the UAE to have and superior to any Amiga hardware. That was the context of ShK's post about how a Vampire would render it superfluous to get a Windows PC specifically for running WinUAE. It does not matter that YOU may have been speaking about all UAEs. By making ShK's reply allegedly about ALL UAEs, you took it out of context and tried to turn it into a statement how V4s would allegedly be able to replace Windows PCs altogether.

Your argument is clearly a trolling attempt as you admit to understand all of the above, yet, try to construct a ridiculous statement only to be able to reject it.
Old 24 January 2019, 13:35   #46
Daedalus

I'll quote the bit you either missed or deliberately ignored:

Quote:
My main UAE use is on my laptop, where WinUAE runs very happily under Linux via WINE.
No Windows PC involved.
Old 24 January 2019, 13:37   #47
DamienD
Banned

I really don't have time to deal with people reporting each others posts in these type of threads...

You can't get along and discuss things civilly; quite simple, I'll just close the thread.
Old 24 January 2019, 13:38   #48
grond

Wine requires an x86 CPU.
Old 24 January 2019, 13:39   #49
grond

Yes, great, just give the troll what he wants. This discussion went along really well until people went off-topic.
Old 24 January 2019, 13:40   #50
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Yes, great, just give the troll what he wants. This discussion went along really well until people went off-topic.
I'm sorry, but from what I've read Daedalus isn't being a troll.
Old 24 January 2019, 13:43   #51
grond

He turned a statement how it is not necessary to run Windows/WinUAE into a statement how a V4 would render Windows PCs superfluous. This is called a straw man fallacy: the first step is to turn a statement into something that was not meant nor implied and the second step is then to reject this statement that was never stated. This is a textbook trolling technique.
Old 24 January 2019, 13:48   #52
grond

I would suggest deleting everything from post 19 and just leaving post 23.
Old 24 January 2019, 14:22   #53
Ian
Global Moderator

It's cold across Europe again, and the snowflakes are landing on the forum.

If someone makes a post on a public forum, then they inviting responses, good and ones they judge to be bad or trolling.

Like Damien, I do not see any trolling in this thread. To most others this is just another thread where someone has disagreed that a Vampire is not the be all and end all and now the defence force has been called into action.

You guys need to stop being so defensive, every single thread you call the troops into action, and basically turn everyone else against you with pointless post reporting and argumentative responses.

If you cannot take criticism, or know how to deal with it then don't read the threads.

I am not interested in protecting your reputation by removing posts you don't like (Beside you do far more damage to it yourself responding to people that don't drink the cool-aid in the way you do), this is not an advertising platform and people are free to discuss your product as much as they want as far as I'm concerned, good and bad.

If a line is crossed then sure, feel free to indicate to us the specific section of a post that you think is out of order.

We all have jobs, and I don't think I can spare the time to fix problems you create by your inability to see another point of view and deal with it appropriately.
Old 24 January 2019, 14:24   #54
ShK

I agree, please clean up the thread back to Vampire 4 Standalone.

You can't even use any traditional accelerator or any emulator to test a new instruction set of 080 processor or a new Amiga chipset's features like Pamela.
Old 24 January 2019, 14:32   #55
grond

So you are saying that deliberately misinterpreting a statement for the sake of argumentation is just disagreeing? There even is a wikipedia article about this technique: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Why do you think that I cannot take criticism when I explicitly stated that none of UAE, WinUAE nor the Vampire are the "cool aid" (as you called it) for each and everyone, that UAE was a very useful tool to me and how I explicitly suggested #23 to remain which is a critical comment?
Old 24 January 2019, 15:42   #56
Ian
Global Moderator

Most of your posts are off-topic in this thread, the topic is who's looking forward to a vampire 4.

I would expect the responses in this thread, some are some aren't. Yet we have windows bashing, false accusations of trolling, pointless links to wikipedia articles that don't apply, unless you can point the the exact part of the posts you reported that contain false information.

In a topic as generic as this, surely there isn't a lot that is off-topic if the discussion remains about the vampire 4 and if people want it or not.

I suggest you take your own advice and agree to disagree. If someone has said something that is false about your product address it by all means, but there is little point engaging in everyone that doesn't like the product, or the team. It will take up far too much of your time.
Old 24 January 2019, 16:13   #57
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShK View Post
Still wrong topic. Apollo core team does not even use Windows and upcoming new Amiga has nothing to do with WinUAE.
Are you sure ? the Gold3 has been released to be tested on WinUAE, read Here.
Many Vampire users (almost all) use WinUAE to initialize, install and partition CF, SD and Hardisk, even the distributions ApolloOS and CoffinOS were created and distributed on HardFile native WinUAE, you want it to continue !!!
Old 24 January 2019, 16:44   #58
ShK

Apollo core team does not use Windows. Testers and public alpha users uses also WinUAE. But as good as WinUAE is, as a tester, you will need a real Amiga to confirm your tests. In that way testers have also offered the bug fixes to WinUAE.

But this thread is not either of Gold3 or V2 boards but Vampire 4 standalone.
Old 24 January 2019, 16:51   #59
AMIGASYSTEM

ShK, AMiGA Real AGA or RTG there are few around, most OS3 and Vampire developers use WinUAE to develop and test, AGA bugs on WinUAE are rare and winUAE is a great tool to test AGA and RTG.
Old 24 January 2019, 17:15   #60
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
The Vampire if it is not very different from an Emulator, since it starts more OS and uses a similar strategy to the emulator
No.