English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 July 2008, 23:30   #61
seuden
uber cool demi god

Sorry I didn't explain very well. After you have done the relevant hacking as per the links above you can use this method to backup your EEprom.bin and EEprom.cfg once you have backed it up to the xbox HDD (I used slayers auto installer to back it up to the xbox hdd). I couldn't use the network method unfortunately.
Old 01 August 2008, 00:51   #62
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Alexh

you know I think it would be great if you did a write up on XBox Soft modding on Old Skool

lots of pretty pictures please
Old 01 August 2008, 14:17   #63
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Well, I got what is known as bad luck.

First, I found one of the games (Splinter Cell) for $12.99, ol' original copy second hand. Then while checking one bin with cheap games I found another original copy for 1.99 (the same store ). Of course, I got more expensive one... NOT! (so far good)

They sold out all AR and memory units, so I got one old xBox gamepad and I have USB extension that I never used. (got it cheap many months ago ) I always wanted to have one good gamepad for PC emulation, so this was great oportunity, as I intended to create USB port for X-Box. That went fine, after a bit of work I got my old 64MB memory stick formated and recognized by xBox, but problem is that every time I insert it, it re-formats it?! My other memory stick won't work (1GB), still I might try it again.

Then I noticed (I never checked it) that they (place I got X-Box from) or previous owner openned it. They apparantly didn't have correct screw driver.

And finally, after I checked the game I got, f*ckers gave me Platinum Hit DVD in Original case.

So I'll pay them a visit today again. They said that they might have one memory unit for x-box today (not completely sure) and if not, there are couple other stores that I will check.

At least I have my save from Halo trasfered to my PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@Alexh

you know I think it would be great if you did a write up on XBox Soft modding on Old Skool

lots of pretty pictures please
That would be nice! I support this idea!
Old 01 August 2008, 15:59   #64
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

First of all do not take it back. Splinter Cell Platinum edition works AFAIK. At least the PAL one does.

The software you need to transfer the (unzipped) save files is called the Mega X-Key. I think the last version was v2.03

There is a detailed list of all USB sticks which work with the Xbox here

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_...atibility_List
Old 01 August 2008, 16:18   #65
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
First of all do not take it back. Splinter Cell Platinum edition works AFAIK. At least the PAL one does.

The software you need to transfer the (unzipped) save files is called the Mega X-Key. I think the last version was v2.03

There is a detailed list of all USB sticks which work with the Xbox here

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_...atibility_List
My memory stick is on the list that works. (Micro Advantage 64MB (4008 blocks) )

I still would like to have correct game in the box, but I might first give it a try with this. Searching for Mega X-Key.

BTW, now that I have USB on X-Box is there a chance to use USB keyboard and/or mouse for some of emus? (now, that would be cool , but I doubt that as I didn't see any reference on this)
Old 01 August 2008, 16:22   #66
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Yes you can use a keyboard and mouse in some emulators with the right cable. I personally have a wireless keyboard and glide pad.

You can get Mega X-Key software from #xbins
Old 01 August 2008, 16:23   #67
seuden
uber cool demi god

More details of XBMC USB compatibility can be found at these two sites.

http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=USB_Mass...upport_in_XBMC
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/xbox...ible-xbmc.html
Old 01 August 2008, 17:42   #68
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Thank you.

I might get wireless keyboard.

ATM, MXK is not recognizing my memory stick.

Funny thing is that AR software after I changed driver will recongize it.
Old 01 August 2008, 21:12   #69
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You running then??

Xbins is down for some strange reason
Old 01 August 2008, 21:18   #70
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
You running then??

Xbins is down for some strange reason
I noticed that. Their FTP is down.
Old 01 August 2008, 21:25   #71
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Eurasia offers alot of XBOX apps/emus.
Perhaps you can find what you need there.
At least until #XBINS is back.
Old 02 August 2008, 01:46   #72
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Well, today I got correct DVD (original DVD) for Splinter Cell (shit I just remember I have unopened PC copy as well ) and I got 2 xbox memory units for 2.99, so I'm under budget of 5$ for softmod.

Once everything loaded it did took ~5 min to backup eeprom, copy it to memory unit (nice way to additionaly secure it) install mod and setup networking.

I'm off to get bigger HD, so tonight I will be creating HD from scratch. Now I'm not sure if I should get 160, 320 or 500 GB drive. (that idea of loading games and everything from X-Box sounds really good )
Old 02 August 2008, 02:17   #73
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

I too am going to go the soft mod way (alexh is very compelling) so now I have to run around to some used game stores to find one of the games that can be used for the task and a memory card. The other question in my mind is if anyone knows of a good online place to find XBOX games? I've looked at a few torrent sites and most of the XBOX games are stale with no seeders.
Old 02 August 2008, 03:57   #74
r.cade

I didn't read all responses, but if you have one of the 3 games that are used in the exploit, and an adapter to use USB flash drives on the XBOX (it converts it to memory card) then it's dirt easy.

I run XBMC as the frontend and it plays pretty much any audio/video format, upscales DVD's to HD (1080) and lets you play internet radio, picture slideshows, etc. It's really great.

Plus you can get most emulators running pretty easy.

I've never upgraded my hard drive, so the box was never opened. I don't use it to copy games, only XBMC and emulation and all of those work with Samba networking (Windows file sharing), so you don't really need local storage. I had a friend who changed the drive and it and it looked like a huge pain in the ass with locking/unlocking the drive (you had to enter long hex codes and double check your typing).
Old 02 August 2008, 06:01   #75
Anubis
Retro Gamer

OK, so far everything works. At the moment I'm backing up my original disk, copying everything to a backup folder (which in the end I plan to burn to DVD and ZIP to DATA hd. (in other words, I like to have more then one backup)

I'm reading instructions how to create xboxhdm disk with my files. I will have to decide to either create original configuration and then apply softmod or to add already modded C and E drives. (I didn't install CBMC yet)

Also, if is there a problem to use XBMC and AutoInstall Deluxe DVD?? (which I didn't download yet )

Tonight, before I'm done I am planning to try couple of emulators (SNES and GEN), to see how that works.
Old 02 August 2008, 08:59   #76
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.cade View Post
I had a friend who changed the drive and it and it looked like a huge pain in the ass with locking/unlocking the drive (you had to enter long hex codes and double check your typing).
It's really simple to do if you use xboxhdm, you don't even have to type any keys as there is an option to use the info from your backed up eeprom which you burn to disk when creating the xboxhdm cd.
Old 02 August 2008, 09:34   #77
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Once everything loaded it did took ~5 min to backup eeprom, copy it to memory unit (nice way to additionaly secure it) install mod and setup networking.
Good for you. I told you it was easy.

Quote:
I will have to decide to either create original configuration and then apply softmod or to add already modded C and E drives.
I always create original configuration and then re-softmod. Why? Mainly because I could never be bothered to learn how to use the PC tool Ndure 3.1 OR the tweak which reveals your REAL C: for FTP instead of the virtual one.

NOTE: FTP access to xbox C: whilst running Ndure softmod accesses the virtual C: drive and so you are copying the original configuration and NOT copying any of the softmod files!

Quote:
(I didn't install XBMC yet)
I always use XBMC as the dashboard. Download XBMC and unRAR. FTP the XBMC dir over to the xbox to E:/APPS/ directory.

Then go to _tools (on the PC) and rename "SHORTCUT by TEAM UIX.xbe" and "SHORTCUT by TEAM XBMC.cfg" to default.xbe and default.cfg respectedly. Edit default.cfg and make sure that the path matches yours E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe

Now FTP the two files over to the xbox to E:/dashboard (you might want to move the files which are already there to E:/APPS/UnleashX).

Now is the butt clenching moment as you reboot and fingers crossed you've got XBMC in front of you!

Quote:
Also, if is there a problem to use XBMC and AutoInstall Deluxe DVD?? (which I didn't download yet )
I've not used any of the Autoinstaller / Slayers for a LONG LONG time... they are always out of date and tend to screw up every now and again... I much prefer to use #xbins and manually install everything.

The program on the PC that will become your best friend will be Qwix by TeamAVALaunch, the best tool for transferring X-box ISO images to the X-box. Even includes FTP acceleration when used with the AVALaunch FTP server (just load AVALaunch from XBMC before FTP).

The program on the X-box that will become your best friend (apart from XBMC) will be DVD2XBOX which rips games from disc to hard drive.

Last edited by alexh; 02 August 2008 at 09:58.
Old 02 August 2008, 11:50   #78
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

*ahem

I stuck a disk in.... told it to do a complete non-retail first install.... .. 15second drive prep... reboot.... then installed ALL the apps / emus on a larger Hard Disk.... 20 mins....

i clicked.... maybe 2 buttons
Old 02 August 2008, 13:31   #79
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You are leaving out the £100+ you spent on a hard mod, soldering iron + solder + braid, multimeter etc.

And you are leaving out the 20 minutes removing all the screws and the motherboard, 10 minutes soldering, another 10 minutes screwing everything back together... followed by 30 minutes to fix something when you first power it on and the box fragged with red/yellow flashing LED.

If you wanted a "retail to non-retail hard drive" race... a softmod would win hands down.

Hard mods were cool... in the old days but on the X-box platform they are obsolete and strictly for old timers

Last edited by alexh; 02 August 2008 at 14:21.
Old 02 August 2008, 15:27   #80
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

*wibble*

you called me an old timer.....

*wibble*

why i ought to..... if it wasn't for this damn cane... dodgy hip..... *wibble*

damn Zimmer Frame.....

*wibble*