English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 04 November 2018, 22:04   #301
mcgeezer

Today I got myself stuck back into some coding and what I'm really pleased with is that I have just about managed to get the Disk Armour working which is a big part of the game.

The way I've coded it is quite nice too as it supports all the weapons upgrades when I come around to coding them.

I do have a small graphical glitch bug and it needs some positional work but it's just about there now.

Great to be back coding after being away for a month.

Here's Damien's fix!

http://109.228.4.199/rygar15.avi

and a crappy Youtube version.

[ Show youtube player ]

Enjoy.

Geezer
Old 05 November 2018, 00:25   #302
DamienD
Banned

Nice

...thanks for the "fix" my friend; I feel relieved now

One thing; and I'm totally aware that the arcade behaviour is the same as in your video... but it would be cool if when the weapon is spinning above your head you could see the "chain" attached.

Not sure how easy this would be to implement though (and there probably aren't sprites available from the arcade version); so not worth the trouble... just thinking aloud...
Old 05 November 2018, 09:07   #303
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
oh god it looks so nice !!!
Old 05 November 2018, 09:52   #304
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Nice

Not sure how easy this would be to implement though (and there probably aren't sprites available from the arcade version); so not worth the trouble... just thinking aloud...
Painfull because of this exact reason, i could do it easily if i had the sprite assets.
Old 05 November 2018, 12:10   #305
DamienD
Banned

All good, just thought I'd ask
Old 05 November 2018, 13:58   #306
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Painfull because of this exact reason, i could do it easily if i had the sprite assets.
you have them, i have sorted all the arcade sprites. I gave them with the backgrounds tiles
Old 05 November 2018, 14:12   #307
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
you have them, i have sorted all the arcade sprites. I gave them with the backgrounds tiles
No i dont have the extra assets that would be required that damien is talking about.

Someone would need to draw them, and it defo aint me (because i know my limitations).
Old 05 November 2018, 15:11   #308
van_dammesque

I'd be happy to be a playtester. I am a Rygar arcade veteran!
Could help with secret tombstone positions etc...

Have you thought about the monkey stacks from level 2 onwards?
Old 05 November 2018, 16:05   #309
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_dammesque View Post

Included this secret bonus:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 November 2018, 17:40   #310
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@Don Adan
Soundtrack covers it so far
Old 05 November 2018, 18:01   #311
mcgeezer

Quote:

Sure, they don't bother me at all.

Plenty of the other enemies do though as they'll be very tricky to get right while keeping it at 50hz.

Why the F**K Commodore didn't upgrade the blitter in the 1200 is beyond me.... even a few more sprites wouldn't have hurt.

The games we could of had if the hardware was more flexible like giving up 8 64x sprites for 16 32x sprites - it would have made a massive difference.
Old 05 November 2018, 20:11   #312
van_dammesque

Quote:
Sure, they don't bother me at all.

Plenty of the other enemies do though as they'll be very tricky to get right while keeping it at 50hz.

Why the F**K Commodore didn't upgrade the blitter in the 1200 is beyond me.... even a few more sprites wouldn't have hurt.

The games we could of had if the hardware was more flexible like giving up 8 64x sprites for 16 32x sprites - it would have made a massive difference.
Which ones? Big Rhino (horiz) or the bosses (vertical)? I imagine that level 13 would be tough, no not the parchment 1 mill bonus, the riding big rhinos multiples of them!

I am also interested in the gameplay aspect: the delicate twitch of the vertical (power up no.5) and long range (power up no.1) to extend vertical hits, have you thought about it yet?

Also I always was disappointed with AGA as it seems it was only a colour increase over every other specs.

EDIT: Sorry to be pedantic, but I am sure you will appreciate this, which arcade version will you mimic? Apparently the Japanese version has more stars, where the US version has more bonuses and explosions. This info is via MAME.

EDIT 2: Do you have a strategy for the "Ribena man", the big ghoul after time out? Some conversions have him going straight but I have seen an arcade clip where he can be dodged almost indefinitely. IMO it would be good if this exploit could be [ Show youtube player ]quashed.

Last edited by van_dammesque; 05 November 2018 at 20:44.
Old 05 November 2018, 20:53   #313
mcgeezer

Quote:
Which ones? Big Rhino (horiz) or the bosses (vertical)? I imagine that level 13 would be tough, no not the parchment 1 mill bonus, the riding big rhinos multiples of them!

I am also interested in the gameplay aspect: the delicate twitch of the vertical (power up no.5) and long range (power up no.1) to extend vertical hits, have you thought about it yet?

Also I always was disappointed with AGA as it seems it was only a colour increase over every other specs.

EDIT: Sorry to be pedantic, but I am sure you will appreciate this, which arcade version will you mimic? Apparently the Japanese version has more stars, where the US version has more bonuses and explosions. This info is via MAME.

EDIT 2: Do you have a strategy for the "Ribena man", the big ghoul after time out? Some conversions have him going straight but I have seen an arcade clip where he can be dodged almost indefinitely. IMO it would be good if this exploit could be [ Show youtube player ]quashed.

If you have a look at this post you'll see what I perceive to be difficult/easy etc.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...7&postcount=24

I haven't thought about the Ribena man, at the moment I'm purely concentrating on getting the engine up and running with minimal bugs.

After I do the sprite clipping I'll do the Rygar -> Object interations... then I can move on to the enemies of the first level.

There's a particular enemy where the arms stretch out across the screen... I havent figured that one out in my mind yet of how I will do it.

The version I'm working to is Rygar US Set 1.

There's still loads to do in the game, I doubt I'm even half way there yet - it's quite a mammoth under taking.

Edit: I have all the power-ups in hand... the way I've done it that I can create any animation I like using the disk armour.
Old 05 November 2018, 20:54   #314
van_dammesque

Quote:
If you have a look at this post you'll see what I perceive to be difficult/easy etc.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...7&postcount=24

I haven't thought about the Ribena man, at the moment I'm purely concentrating on getting the engine up and running with minimal bugs.

After I do the sprite clipping I'll do the Rygar -> Object interations... then I can move on to the enemies of the first level.

There's a particular enemy where the arms stretch out across the screen... I havent figured that one out in my mind yet of how I will do it.

The version I'm working to is Rygar US Set 1.

There's still loads to do in the game, I doubt I'm even half way there yet - it's quite a mammoth under taking.
Old 08 November 2018, 23:49   #315
mcgeezer

In game coding, sometimes what appears to be the simplest of things can all of a sudden start to be a bit of a brain teaser, and by gum did this one make me think.

Consider when playing Rygar, have you noticed how the items that you can pick up always seem to land on a platform? Well that's no coincidence... it would be pointless if the items fell through the floor as you wouldn't be able to collect them.

This update shows that I've dealt with that. Basically I (fairly efficiently) check the tiles from the right part of the screen and look downward for a platform, if it runs into an obstacle or can't find a platform in that vertical line then it simply goes further along to the right and starts again at the top looking for a platform... when it finds the platform it push the item in there.

The video shows items being placed at particular frames.... notice how the items never fall off the edges.

[ Show youtube player ]

The code to remove them is also done, it's just not shown... I guess I'll save that for the collision stuff.

Geezer
Old 09 November 2018, 09:54   #316
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
No i dont have the extra assets that would be required that damien is talking about.

Someone would need to draw them, and it defo aint me (because i know my limitations).
I gave ALL the arcade assets here on EAB. I have reassembled all the sprites.

I'll send them to you, no need to draw anything.
Old 09 November 2018, 12:11   #317
DamienD
Banned

You're missing the point Denis... in the arcades when the weapon is spinning 180º above your head i.e. <Up> and <Fire>, there is no "chain" attached.

I was asking Graeme if this could somehow be added to the Amiga version; but there are no sprite assets for this in the original arcade so would need to be drawn...
Old 09 November 2018, 15:03   #318
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
You're missing the point Denis... in the arcades when the weapon is spinning 180º above your head i.e. <Up> and <Fire>, there is no "chain" attached.

I was asking Graeme if this could somehow be added to the Amiga version; but there are no sprite assets for this in the original arcade so would need to be drawn...
Damien, i know that the weapon is spinning 180° above the player's head.

you'd need to start from the chain weapon 8x8 tile included in the sprites set, and make it turn 180° in a drawing program, generating the parts you want.

but, then if it doesn't exist in the coin-op, why including it inside the Amiga version ?

Just my 2 cts
Old 09 November 2018, 15:28   #319
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
you'd need to start from the chain weapon 8x8 tile included in the sprites set, and make it turn 180° in a drawing program, generating the parts you want.
I thought out doing that; if you guys give me the specific tile I'll do it in Photoshop

Quote:
but, then if it doesn't exist in the coin-op, why including it inside the Amiga version ?
I hear ya, and would usually say just stick with the original but think this would be a very small adjustment / improvement
Old 09 November 2018, 16:00   #320
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
I thought out doing that; if you guys give me the specific tile I'll do it in Photoshop

I hear ya, and would usually say just stick with the original but think this would be a very small adjustment / improvement
Well i'm afraid that this could slow down the amiga..... let's give the speech back to McGeezer on that matter.

what do you think of this, can it be done without slowing done the computer ?