English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 September 2016, 05:05   #1
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

IDEFix97/Max required for 4-Way IDE adapter on A4000?

Is it possible to use the 4-Way IDE adapter on the A4000 (OS 3.9) without using IDEFix97/Max?

The only reason I'm asking is because I've encountered some strange issues with the DVD-RW drive needing to be on IDE channel 2 (second Master) on cold/power on boots, but on IDE channel 3 (second Slave) on warm/reset boots.

I've resolved that issue with changing my startup-sequence around a bit but it makes me wonder if the scsi.device was grabbing it at some point and then IDEFix was at another?

My original startup-sequence section and then the corrected one that always puts the DVD-RW drive on IDE channel 3 (second Slave).

Shifting IDE channels:
C:LoadModule LIBS:Layers.library L:Shell-Seg L:Ram-Handler NOREBOOT
Sys:MuTools/MuMove4K PREPAREEMUL A1200
C:SetPatch SKIPROMMODULES "ram-handler,shell" >NIL: QUIET
C:LOADIDE RESET QUIET

(noticed I forgot to exclude "scsi.device" from the SKIPROMMODULES line above)

Staying on IDE channel 3:
C:LoadIDE START QUIET
C:LoadModule LIBS:Layers.library L:Shell-Seg L:Ram-Handler NOREBOOT
Sys:MuTools/MuMove4K PREPAREEMUL A1200
C:SetPatch SKIPROMMODULES "ram-handler,scsi.device,shell" >NIL: QUIET

I'd like it to be on IDE channel 2 (second Master) as it is the only device on that IDE chain. (CF Card is channel 0 (primary Master) and SSD drive is channel 1 (primary Slave).

Well, another reason I'm asking....with scsi.device loading (even 43.43) I see my 256 GB SSD drive as 238 GB. With IDEFix loading (119.16) it sees it as 128 GB device.

I was wondering if it's possible to use the latest scsi.device (43.45??) to see all 4 IDE channels? Just curious as to me it looks like on a cold boot, scsi.device was being used (IDE channel 2) and then on a warm reset IDEFix was grabbing it (IDE channel 3). Or I could just be completely off base.

Short version...possible to have CD/DVD drive on IDE channel 2 with updated/patched scsi.device under OS 3.9
Old 05 September 2016, 07:31   #2
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
The only reason I'm asking is because I've encountered some strange issues with the DVD-RW drive needing to be on IDE channel 2 (second Master) on cold/power on boots, but on IDE channel 3 (second Slave) on warm/reset boots.
This cannot be. Master/slave selection is a hardware thing done by a jumper on the device, it must not be changed while the computer is running.

Quote:
Short version...possible to have CD/DVD drive on IDE channel 2 with updated/patched scsi.device under OS 3.9
You need IDEfix software to access the second channel. But for a CD/DVD drive it is sufficient to use atapi.device in the DosDriver, no need to run LoadIDE.

Anyway your "corrected" version is better as it does not reset twice. LoadIDE RESET does a reset and SetPatch does one, too. So running LoadIDE START first and then let SetPatch do the reset is more efficient.
Old 05 September 2016, 10:22   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Thomas

I have to admit my friend, I am a little confused, I have had four devices on my A4000 - it has a passive 2 IDE port adaptor for four devices.

I have never had to use the IDEFix software for this adaptor - unless this comes default in OS3.5/3.9

Most common set up I used was a 20GB Samsung Spin-Point (IDE 0:0) Generic DVD-RW Optical drive (IDE 0:1) and a front panel compact flash card adaptor (IDE 1:0).

Sadly I found that the CF adaptor doesn't play well with others, and does support Cable Select either.
Old 05 September 2016, 11:23   #4
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@Thomas
I have never had to use the IDEFix software for this adaptor - unless this comes default in OS3.5/3.9
Didn't the installer ask for if you do have a 4way adapter?
Old 05 September 2016, 11:36   #5
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@zipper

Hello there, that vaguely rings a bell, however I didn't have an IDEFix Express installed, just passive two channel adaptor -

Its pretty much identical to this one

Just without the branding and a tad older =)
Old 05 September 2016, 15:39   #6
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I admit it's very strange, I know devices are jumpered as Master or Slave or use Cable Select (not supported on A4000} but this is a Slim DVD-RW with a 40 pin adapter and neither device or adapter have jumpers.

The OS was originally installed on the CF Card in WinUAE as I had a dying floppy drive and a few bad floppy disk in my 3.1 set. I was using a standard size DVD-RW drive at the time as well and used IDEFix97 under 3.1 to mount the drive.

I may do another rebuild on another CF Card and see if it makes a difference. I vaguely remember being asked on the 3.9 install about using a 4-way adapter but at the time I was not. It's the same adapter as pictured in the the post above.

*EDIT
It's installing IDEFix97 that asks if you are using a 4-way adapter. I just installed OS3.9 without IDEFix97 this time but can only get 2 IDE devices to work (0/1). I'm going to wipe it all again and do another install with IDEFix97.

Last edited by prowler; 06 September 2016 at 00:29. Reason: Removed direct signature.
Old 06 September 2016, 00:37   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm going to wipe it all again and do another install with IDEFix97.
That should work. It works for me with a very similar adapter to the one shown in Zetr0's picture. Hard drive on Port 0 and CD-ROM drive on Port 1.
Old 07 September 2016, 04:56   #8
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Looks like I'm stuck with IDEFix97/Max if I want to use the additional channels....so my 256 GB drive is not ideal..... (IDEFix97 limits drive size to 128 GB).

Same issue though....if I don't have two "resets" (MuMove4k PREPAREEMUL A1200 and then Setpatch) the DVD-RW bounces between IDE02 and IDE03.

I actually didn't experience the bounce until I added the MuMove4k piece...as it was doing a double reset with SetPatch and then LoadIDE RESET. Adding in MuMove4k added another that created the IDE02 to IDE03 bounce on reboot.

Getting LoadIDE in first with out a reset, then MuMove4k resetting then SetPatch resetting keeps the DVD-RW at IDE03. Adding NOREBOOT to MuMove4k and just having SetPatch do the reset, the DVD-RW is IDE02 on coldboot and IDE03 on warm boot/reset.

IDE00 - CF Card reader
IDE01 - SSD drive (SATA with adapter)
IDE02 - x
IDE03 - DVD-RW

I can live with that....though I will probably replace the SSD drive with a 128 GB one since that's the max size it'll see anyway.

I have a Slim SATA DVD-RW I need to try in place of the Slim IDE DVD-RW drive. Maybe it'll work better...just need another adapter.
Old 07 September 2016, 07:52   #9
thomas

I already told you that you don't need a fully installed IDEfix if you only have optical drives on the second channel. It is sufficient to use atapi.device in devs/dosdrivers/CD0.

The first channel will run with OS3.9's scsi.device.

But be aware that OS3.9 has a 128 GB limit, too, unless you install this patch: http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/SCSI4345p
Old 07 September 2016, 12:43   #10
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I tried that, the DVD-RW drive never mounted. I then patched scsi.device and that allowed it to mount the drive....but my SATA drive partitions don't mount anymore. I can see the drive in HDToolBox (238 GB) and see my partitions but they don't mount on boot.

I'll need to play around with it some more. I'll probably have to put the drive on WinUAE and copy the data off, re-partition (with updated scsi.device), copy the data back then move it over to the A4000.

As noted earlier, I could see the full 256 GB SSD (238 GB) with scsi.device 43.43.

My A4000 is weird. It may be that when originally setting up the SSD it was my boot drive and I configured it under WinUAE with 43.45. I then added the CF Card reader as the boot drive and deleted all the partitions and created new ones under 43.43 while on the A4000.

Last edited by SnkBitten; 07 September 2016 at 13:36.
Old 07 September 2016, 18:58   #11
thomas

Quote:
As noted earlier, I could see the full 256 GB SSD (238 GB) with scsi.device 43.43.
43.43 will crash when it tries to read something from a partition above the 128 GB limit.

Quote:
I'll need to play around with it some more. I'll probably have to put the drive on WinUAE and copy the data off, re-partition (with updated scsi.device), copy the data back then move it over to the A4000.
The version of scsi.device has no influence on the contents of the partition table. Repartitioning with another version does not change anything.

Quote:
my SATA drive partitions don't mount anymore. I can see the drive in HDToolBox (238 GB) and see my partitions but they don't mount on boot.
Most likely the CF card has the "last drive" flag set. Boot with both drives attached, then check the CF card in HDToolbox and let it save the changes.

Quote:
I tried that, the DVD-RW drive never mounted. I then patched scsi.device and that allowed it to mount the drive....
Which patch was this?
Old 07 September 2016, 19:05   #12
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Most likely the CF card has the "last drive" flag set. Boot with both drives attached, then check the CF card in HDToolbox and let it save the changes.
I'll give that a go and see...

Quote:
Which patch was this?
The patch for scsi.device 43.43 to 43.45 (scsi4345p.lha)
Old 15 September 2016, 23:22   #13
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Issues, lost everything on the SSD, reconfigured in WinUAE with latest scsi.device (43.45), partitioned out but then could not successfully format the partitions (PSF3aio). Moved to the A4000 and same issue. Finally gave up and went back to IDEFix97 and seeing it as a 128 GB drive. If I don't have two resets on boot the Slim DVD-RW will bounce between IDE2 (cold boot) and IDE3 (warm/reboot). Two resets (LoadIDE reset and Setpatch, removed the move4k and prepareemul) and it shows up as IDE3. A software initiated reboot (like AmiReboot15.lha or changing/saving settings in Picasso96mode and exiting) move the device I'm assuming to IDE2.

Using scsi.device for the DVD-RW as "find ide" from IDEfix shows it on both scsi.device and atapi.device so just using scsi.device (IDEfix's 119.16).

It could be a combination of the CF Card, SATA>IDE adapter on the SSD and the Slim IDE to 40pin IDE adapter on the DVD that's creating the weird issue.

But..everything is working for the most part. I just have to do a Ctrl-A-A whenever I get prompted with a "click to reboot" requester.

(I've got a Slim SATA DVD-RW I may try, just need an adapter (slim sata to 40pin IDE...heck slim sata to sata to ide if I must).

Wish those SCSI>SATA ACard's weren't so pricey....would love to throw the SATA SSD in that and connect it to the WarpEngine SCSI.