English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 19 September 2018, 14:08   #1
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Tested Subary WRX

While I was looking for new car, tested this little car. Little boxed engine with tubro... almost like living racing video game.

I drove few racing cars, but never something this interesting... and to prevent me loosing my license in first few weeks, have to opt for outback instead.
Old 19 September 2018, 23:57   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

Obviously an older model, but I used to own a 2l Impreza WRX STI.

Best car I've ever had. Shame you didn't mid life crisis into one, you'd have loved it as a daily car, although they drink the jungle juice.

Once I managed about8 miles per gallon lol. Got it tuned though, made about 80 more BHP and started using less petrol. Those were the days.
Old 20 September 2018, 07:33   #3
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Fuel is one of issues for me, as I drive ~250-300 miles per week.

I really like handling, gears and engine sound, and almost had middle age crisis kick, just like couple of friends who have one.

Not sure about EU market, but they are much better priced compared to rest of imports. Of course, as sport car, not much of extra in there, like BSM.
Old 21 September 2018, 02:23   #4
jmmijo

I just have a standard 2007 Legacy Sedan with a Sport Shift and the standard 2.5l engine.

In some ways I wish I had gotten the GT model but really I just don't drive enough to really have fun with it
Old 24 September 2018, 08:14   #5
Cpt. Hindsight

I'm no friend of turbo engines with a high power output per liter displacement/big turbo charger. Most, if not all of them are only fun, if you drive fast.

Drive around in last gear with 2000 rpm, put the pedal down and...nothing. You will most likely get passed by a Yugo.

It's no wonder those cars have a reputation as a license killer. They are crap driven slowly.
Old 24 September 2018, 09:58   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

You don't have to drive then fast, you just have to drive them with your brain engaged.

Anyone who owns one will not be putting their foot down in top gear and expect it to shoot off.

Although you have probably watched the episode of top gear when they tested the fq-400 evo.

Let me tell you first hand, the turbo on mine started to work at about 1500 rpm so at 2000 it would spool up pretty quick, but also at about 2000 rpm in top gear I'd already be doing about 90 so little chance for yugo boy to pass me lol
Old 24 September 2018, 22:48   #7
Cpt. Hindsight

I'm not talking about a Top Gear video.

I once had a Audi TT Mk.1 with a 220 hp 1.8l turbo engine as a hire car for two weeks. That engine was utter crap compared to the 3.2l 6 cylindre engine for the same car.
Old 25 September 2018, 00:28   #8
Ian
Global Moderator

Is not a 280 bhp Subaru engine either. But the fact remains no one who owns a turbo car drives in the manner you suggest. If power is required they will change down. Any car can be driven wrong.
Old 25 September 2018, 17:30   #9
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Subaru 2.5l engine in WRI STI produces just bit more than 300hp. I think that base model is bit over 250hp from the same size engine.

It is very responsive from what I saw in my test, but you can have fun and still not run over speed limit and get ticket. Actually it is more fun @ what time it reaches speed limit compared to really fast driving overall.

Still much more reasonable priced compared to all other cars. (~$30k - $38k for sti limited)

You can drive even Yugo wrong... and fly off the bridge... into death.

https://www.tctimes.com/news/remembe...1deb9664f.html

Last edited by Anubis; 26 September 2018 at 14:09.
Old 26 September 2018, 00:39   #10
grelbfarlk

Uh... yeah, even an automatic transmission has enough sense to downshift if you put your foot down when it's in the last gear, usually someone driving a manual would do that too. But what you're talking about with a 1.8L Turbo, is pretty common nowadays.

Various auto manufacturers decide they have a selection of engines which are either too small, too large, too fuel inefficient or too slow, to make up for it they slap a turbo on a smaller engine. This doesn't turn an econobox into a fast car, it just makes what some might consider an intolerably slow car into a slightly more tolerable one.

And since it's often not doing much at low RPMs they get to claim lower emissions overall than a larger (and I would argue properly sized) engine.
Old 26 September 2018, 13:38   #11
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
I once had a Audi TT Mk.1 with a 220 hp 1.8l turbo engine as a hire car for two weeks. That engine was utter crap compared to the 3.2l 6 cylindre engine for the same car.

That's comparing apples and oranges! 4 cylinder engines have a completely different characteristic compared to 6 cylinder ones and the 1.8T definitely is not "utter crap" as you claim! I've been driving 4 cylinders and 6 cylinders and both can either be fun if you know how to handle them or "utter crap" if you don't know how to deal with them.
Old 26 September 2018, 20:47   #12
Ian
Global Moderator

I think Cpt Hindsight was comparing the v6 TT to the turbo, 1.8 underpowered version.

of course it's not going to be as good as the 3.2, the 3.2 version makes more power, and it's the top of the range.

Do yourself a favour, get yourself a go in a proper turbo car, and not an accessory for hairdressers, and have a laugh.

Even putting your foot down, in totally the wrong gear is fun, waiting until the boost comes in and thumps you in the back,
Old 26 September 2018, 21:19   #13
jmmijo

Interesting as I have only the standard 2.5 four cylinder engine in my Legacy but it has an Automatic with Sport Shift, I use the Sport Shift most of the time as it comes with a tac.

The tac also shows a redline of 6500 and I have yet to ever reach that level even when stomping on it in a lower gear.
Old 27 September 2018, 13:52   #14
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Found little video with gopro recording of WRX STI.

[ Show youtube player ]