English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 20 September 2018, 15:03   #21
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Still love XP sorry Customizing Start Menu List is a step backwards on Win10.
Old 20 September 2018, 15:15   #22
gulliver
BoingBagged

I hate Windows 10.

It is my main main OS since launch day. It is bloated as hell, crippled in many aspects.

I wanted to switch to Linux, but since Linux sucks on notebooks unless you want to spend a week hacking your kernel to make all things work, it was a big NO.

Windows 8.x still sucked and was bloated, but not so bloated as Windows 10 is.

Windows 7 was a step in the right direction. I loved it. Corporative greed from Microsoft took us from seven to 10 without any real improvement. Only marketing buzzwords.

I wish I had a choice.
Old 20 September 2018, 15:31   #23
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

I'd say hack away, anything to avoid 10.
Old 20 September 2018, 15:34   #24
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
I hate Windows 10.

It is my main main OS since launch day. It is bloated as hell, crippled in many aspects.

I wanted to switch to Linux, but since Linux sucks on notebooks unless you want to spend a week hacking your kernel to make all things work, it was a big NO.

Windows 8.x still sucked and was bloated, but not so bloated as Windows 10 is.

Windows 7 was a step in the right direction. I loved it. Corporative greed from Microsoft took us from seven to 10 without any real improvement. Only marketing buzzwords.

I wish I had a choice.
Ok, explain what u mean by bloated as hell?

Windows 10 is better than every previous version of windows. I’ve had this argument from others in the past most of whom read shit computer magazine headlines and are afraid to make the jump themselves.

To be running xp nowadays is criminal.
Old 20 September 2018, 17:33   #25
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Download "Wise Registry Cleaner", install, run, click "System Tuneup", click "Optimize". You're done.

You can also make some extra tweaks according to your setup, like:
Turn off Hibernation
Code:
powercfg.exe /hibernate off
Change TDR delay
Code:
 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers" and create a key of type "DWORD (32-bit)" and name "TdrDelay" with a value of 10 as Decimal value
Disable dynamic ticks
Code:
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
Disable High Precision Event Timer
Code:
bcdedit /set useplatformclock no
Disable Automatic Driver Updates
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001
Disable Swapfile
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"SwapfileControl"=dword:00000000
Disable GamePresenceWriter
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsRuntime\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Gaming.GameBar.Pres enceServer.Internal.PresenceWriter

Set "ActivationType" to 0 (to modify this key you will need to modify the owner and permissions of the key. I won’t tell you how to do that, as you should have a general knowledge of PC’s if you are messing with the registry)
Disabled Game Bar
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\ApplicationManagement\AllowGameDVR
        DWORD "Value" = 0
Disabled Full Screen Optimization
Code:
(doing it this way saves me having to change the Compatibility properties per EXE file)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore
    DWORD "GameDVR_FSEBehavior"
    0 = Enable
    2 = Disable

Last edited by Shoonay; 20 September 2018 at 17:41.
Old 20 September 2018, 17:55   #26
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Everytime I see some "Windows optimizer" program, the alarm bells goes off.

Are those registry settings persistent or do they revert back to default settings after an update ?

Last time I tried 10 (Pro), everything I changed like getting rid of Cortana, Edge, OneDrive, all the bloat crap apps like Candy Crush reinstalled automatically and all my default program settings went down the drain as well.

Last edited by Retroplay; 20 September 2018 at 22:53.
Old 20 September 2018, 18:23   #27
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
You started a thread about Windows 10 in a forum dedicated to retrogaming. It's been moved to a more appropriate location now (Off-Topic - Technical), so it's all good.
Thanks.
Old 20 September 2018, 22:29   #28
van_dammesque

https://www.getblackbird.net/documentation/
Old 21 September 2018, 00:22   #29
Leandro Jardim

Thank you Shoonay and van_dammesque. Thank you everyone which is making this thread alive.
Old 21 September 2018, 02:21   #30
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
On my rather crappy cheap Laptop anything over build 1607 just kills it, just to slow.
Also I heard that I might be better off with the 32bit version as they run the same but 32bit version requires less ram.

Using Android Studio or BlueStacks any kind of Microsoft upgrade or similar running in the background would just bring it to a halt
I use Bluestacks on my Windows 10 Pro machine with many updates and have not had this issue, well so far at least
Old 21 September 2018, 02:58   #31
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
  • Firstly, registry defragmentation : Safe, while registry "optimization" (massive deleting of unused entries) : Not so safe.
  • Secondly, do not fill up too much your system (OS) drive. In a ideal situation, about 20% free HDD space
    should remain unused. Defragment it (Auslogics Disk Defrag is a classic, but any similar tool would do) from time to time,
    or better yet
    make it auto-defragment itself (Diskeeper 2011 Pro, although not free, has my recommendation). Windows' own
    defrag assistant (Optimize Drives, or whatever it is called these days) is subpar, avoid.
  • Thirdly, apparently, one has the opportunity to use PowerShell commands to get rid of Windows 10 so-called bloatware,
    at least some of it, here, feel free to check it out
On a side note, may I suggest you try to ease up a little Leandro, acting in such a defensive manner won't do you any good.
Thing is, having been through that myself, I ought to know the feeling... and the remedy (mostly, not overreacting
to what can be sometimes resented as unfair treatment). Good luck, and happy orphan files wiping!

Last edited by SquawkBox; 21 September 2018 at 04:57.
Old 21 September 2018, 06:36   #32
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Ok, explain what u mean by bloated as hell?

Windows 10 is better than every previous version of windows. I’ve had this argument from others in the past most of whom read shit computer magazine headlines and are afraid to make the jump themselves.

To be running xp nowadays is criminal.
I agree that running xp is criminal nowadays. I never spoke about xp.

It is not about computer magazines or any type of pseudo-journalism.
It is about loosing control of my own computer:

By default Windows 10 updates interrupt the user whenever they want.
By default Windows 10 sends personal information.
By default uses Edge browser instead of my own browser which I already set up as default.
If I set my own applications for opening files, Windows 10 "rectifies" this, and I need to fight with it over and over to force it to use my choices.
From time to time it nags me with advertising!
And it wants my email and email password to send me more spam.

By default installs a lot of apps I dont need, and if then I remove them, it surely finds a way to download and install them again. And this is not minor: I have Candy Crush Saga all over the place, six Xbox applications when I dont have an Xbox, Groove when I use another application, Windows Store, and the list goes on and on.
Old 21 September 2018, 10:18   #33
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
On a side note, may I suggest you try to ease up a little Leandro, acting in such a defensive manner won't do you any good.
Thing is, having been through that myself, I ought to know the feeling... and the remedy (mostly, not overreacting
to what can be sometimes resented as unfair treatment). Good luck, and happy orphan files wiping!
Yes, I agree, and I say I learned my lesson because it was embarrassing for me.
Old 21 September 2018, 13:41   #34
Cubemon

Quote:
Windows 10 is microsofts best OS to date.
Quote:
Windows 10 is better than every previous version of windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
BY FAR MS's best OS.
I've seen people saying this, but nobody is actually telling WHAT in particular is better. It always makes me think that there are hired MS shills, who are paid to praise Windows 10 without any substance.

Anyway. What you have to understand about Windows 10 is that it is not an operating system in the conventional sense. Sure, it handles I/O and other system stuff like a normal operating system, but that's not the point.

Microsoft themselves refer to Windows 10 a service.

While you can install a conventional operating system on a computer, and it will stay the same, Windows 10 is constantly changed, controlled and in a way "streamed" from Microsoft. There are constant major updates that control the software you can use (they block old software and force install their own software with the updates). And what's best, you can't disable, skip or pick these updates. You just have to accept whatever Microsoft tells you to accept.

Like Android, Windows 10 is trying its hardest to be an advertising platform. Even when you start up the computer, the lock screen is suggesting booking a trip with a link on a picture of a tropical island. This is what interests Microsoft these days. The further you go, the more adverts there will be, and many things you do with Windows 10 will be analyzed for potential commercial gain. That is the way everything is on the web pages already, with hundreds of trackers taking note when you visit a major web page. Microsoft is also trying to bring this feature to the OS level.

When the advertising and tracking is limited to a piece of software, for example to browser, it is in most cases easy to control. Close the browser, and you won't get anymore tracking cookies. But when you bring the same functionality to the OS, it can't be controlled, except by not using the whole computer. That really doesn't make a lot of sense for someone, who wants to be in control of what their devices are doing and have sense to care about privacy.

Now my problem with this is, that I use my computer as a tool. I wouldn't want a hammer or a piano to constantly change and be unavailable because of an update, that is beyond my control. I want it to be exactly how I like it, because that's what I'm used to and that's how I do my work.

In the cell phone industry we're already pretty much screwed. Android and IOS don't give a damn about privacy, and even newer TVs have started showing ads of their own.

Computers are however a lot more than either a TV or a phone. They can be used to create, transform, combine, dream, entertain, provoke thoughts or whatever you can come up with. That's what pulled me in to the world of computers in the 80s. Please, PLEASE don't mess them up by accepting corporate control over your OWN hardware!
Old 21 September 2018, 17:08   #35
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Just updated to RS5 (RTM candidate) build 17763.1 and all is good.
Almost all settings I tweaked (privacy, hibernation, sound, graphics) were kept, half of the setting tweaked by Wise Registry Cleaner were reverted, will wait for an update.
Old 21 September 2018, 19:21   #36
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubemon View Post
I've seen people saying this, but nobody is actually telling WHAT in particular is better. It always makes me think that there are hired MS shills, who are paid to praise Windows 10 without any substance.

Anyway. What you have to understand about Windows 10 is that it is not an operating system in the conventional sense. Sure, it handles I/O and other system stuff like a normal operating system, but that's not the point.

Microsoft themselves refer to Windows 10 a service.

While you can install a conventional operating system on a computer, and it will stay the same, Windows 10 is constantly changed, controlled and in a way "streamed" from Microsoft. There are constant major updates that control the software you can use (they block old software and force install their own software with the updates). And what's best, you can't disable, skip or pick these updates. You just have to accept whatever Microsoft tells you to accept.

Like Android, Windows 10 is trying its hardest to be an advertising platform. Even when you start up the computer, the lock screen is suggesting booking a trip with a link on a picture of a tropical island. This is what interests Microsoft these days. The further you go, the more adverts there will be, and many things you do with Windows 10 will be analyzed for potential commercial gain. That is the way everything is on the web pages already, with hundreds of trackers taking note when you visit a major web page. Microsoft is also trying to bring this feature to the OS level.

When the advertising and tracking is limited to a piece of software, for example to browser, it is in most cases easy to control. Close the browser, and you won't get anymore tracking cookies. But when you bring the same functionality to the OS, it can't be controlled, except by not using the whole computer. That really doesn't make a lot of sense for someone, who wants to be in control of what their devices are doing and have sense to care about privacy.

Now my problem with this is, that I use my computer as a tool. I wouldn't want a hammer or a piano to constantly change and be unavailable because of an update, that is beyond my control. I want it to be exactly how I like it, because that's what I'm used to and that's how I do my work.

In the cell phone industry we're already pretty much screwed. Android and IOS don't give a damn about privacy, and even newer TVs have started showing ads of their own.

Computers are however a lot more than either a TV or a phone. They can be used to create, transform, combine, dream, entertain, provoke thoughts or whatever you can come up with. That's what pulled me in to the world of computers in the 80s. Please, PLEASE don't mess them up by accepting corporate control over your OWN hardware!
Blah de blah blah.

One massive improvement is the speed. Games run quicker in 10 than anything else.

You just sound like your typical Linux user who thinks they have more control over what goes on.

We have computers that will sit there for weeks without installing any updates but the fact is most dumb dumbs never update and leave themselves open to attack because of it, this is why updates are forced by default.

Yeah ads, boo hoo, have you not used any other os in the last 10 years?

If you know how to config Windows 10 you can pretty much disable everything you've moaned about through lgpo.
Old 21 September 2018, 19:42   #37
Retro1234
Bo Bo

The more low end PCs probably shouldn't of come with Win 10 if you have a middle of the range PC or high end then no problem, But Windows is meant to be for the masses if your not someone who want to mess about with tweaking and have a lower end PC then having to mess around with Turning off updates etc can be a pain etc.

I stay with Windows because of so much software but I would seriously consider Android in the future.
Old 21 September 2018, 20:03   #38
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
The more low end PCs probably shouldn't of come with Win 10 [...]
Define low end.
Last weekend I formated & installed W10 on a friends old laptop that had a XP sticker on, dualcore intel t7200, 2 or 3GB's of RAM and some ATI GPU. Due to HP releasing Vista drivers for it everything worked on these in W10, all she needs for Office, Browser (YouTube & Facebook )
It's slow as fuck without a SSD but works good enough once you boot it and run the desired app. It even runs FullHD videos without a hassle... adjusted to the matrix real resolution which is somewhere between hd & fullhd that is.
Old 21 September 2018, 20:08   #39
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Define low end.
Last weekend I formated & installed W10 on a friends old laptop that had a XP sticker on, dualcore intel t7200, 2 or 3GB's of RAM and some ATI GPU. Due to HP releasing Vista drivers for it everything worked on these in W10, all she needs for Office, Browser (YouTube & Facebook )
It's slow as fuck without a SSD but works good enough once you boot it and run the desired app. It even runs FullHD videos without a hassle... adjusted to the matrix real resolution which is somewhere between hd & fullhd that is.
I've never had a problem but I bought one of these cheap laptops with 32GB EMMC and this should not have been sold with Win 10 because after it updates past 1607 it's unusable.
Old 21 September 2018, 21:11   #40
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

SSD and Windows 10 LTSB

http://www.techproresearch.com/artic...right-for-you/