English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 October 2016, 17:07   #1
Cammy

Lightbulb AmiGameJam 2016 (The Festive Amiga Game Making Competition)

Hello everyone! In co-operation with the other members of Underground Arcade, I would like to announce "AmiGameJam 2016" (previously The Annual Festive Amiga Game Making Competition) has begun!

AmiGameJam is our annual game creation contest, which has been a huge success in previous years, providing creative developers a chance to sharpen and prove their skills and giving the community some top-notch games to enjoy. This year the name is different, but the contest is pretty much the same as before. You have three months to create a new Amiga game (or at least a single-level demo of a game) either on your own or in a team, that fits the chosen theme. The game can be coded or built with game creation software such as SEUCK or Backbone.

The theme this year is "TV Shows and Movies", so you are asked to choose a show or movie that you think would be fun to adapt into a video game. Try to choose one that doesn't already have an Amiga port. If you're not interested in the main theme you are allowed to enter a festive/Christmas-themed game instead.

Entries should be submitted by the 31st of December 2016, and judging will begin in January. As well as online voting, we hope to get some celebrity judges involved and the prizes this year will be better than ever before (and delivered on time, too).

As always, there are two categories: Classic OCS/AGA Amigas and Next-Gen Amigas (Aros, MorphOS and OS4) so anyone in the community can get involved.

More details will be added when we have confirmation from the judges and sponsors. Feel free to ask any questions, and good luck!

Last edited by Cammy; 01 October 2016 at 17:27.
Old 02 October 2016, 16:57   #2
Amiga1992

Good to see you around Cammy! It's been a while.
Am very glad you are organizing this, looking forward to see what comes out of it.
Old 20 October 2016, 22:04   #3
zapiy

Is there a website charting progress and so on?
Old 21 October 2016, 12:48   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapiy View Post
Is there a website charting progress and so on?
I think cammy, is still working on site.
Old 24 October 2016, 04:37   #5
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Cammy is working on a site, but we have also set up a jam page here - https://itch.io/jam/amigamejam

We will be working on a game together as an example but won't enter it into the competition. This way we can show the progress so others can see how they might go about it. We'll probably use Backbone as it suits the style of game that our chosen movie is best adapted to.
Old 24 October 2016, 08:45   #6
wXR

Wonderful idea and good luck to the competitors!
Old 24 October 2016, 17:48   #7
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Really cool to see a competition! But I would not recommend making games based on movies for copyright reasons. Better go for Christmas games then.

I will not compete myself because I can't code or draw graphics. And I refuse to use Backbone for more games. Now I'm waiting for the new game creator software - RedPill! Once it is finished, I'll start making games again.

A bit of topic,

The author of RedPill has posted some videos on YouTube recently showing some example games you can do with RedPill. It seems that you can create many different types of games with this software.

Pang: [ Show youtube player ]
Pacman: [ Show youtube player ]
Gravity: [ Show youtube player ]
Platformer: [ Show youtube player ]

He is looking for beta testers. So just contact him and he is willing to send you a copy. Perhaps is it already good enough to make games for the competition?

As I said, I'm very interested to make more Amiga games. But I really need a graphican to work with. If you are interested, PM me
Old 24 October 2016, 18:06   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Really cool to see a competition! But I would not recommend making games based on movies for copyright reasons. Better go for Christmas games then.
There's plenty of B type or unknown movies and shows I am sure should be fine as inspiration. You don't have to go for the big names.

Redpill looks intreresting, is it AMOS based? Good job.
Old 22 November 2016, 19:01   #9
tw1sted1981

I am still hoping to enter something this year.

Anyone else posting updates of their progress so far?

-C
Old 05 February 2017, 20:35   #10
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've seen a couple of spanish games presented a week ago. I would like to know a bit about all of the games that have been presented and also when it's going to be the "ceremony" to decide which is the winner