English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 11 January 2005, 20:21   #1
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

Networking file share problems

Having problems sharing files between my amiga and pc. I have set up a network and have miamidx running. I can use the internet on the amiga and ping the amiga to pc and pc to amiga. Everything works perfectly but I've tried using amiga explorer to network the amiga and pc. All I get when I run amiga explorer on the pc is (Error connecting with the amiga server: TCP/IP socket not found. I have miamidx and amiga explorer running on the amiga all configured according to the help pages on the cloanto web site.

I'm using a router to network the amiga to the pc connected with a cross over cable, I've also tried connecting a normal cable to my hub with no luck. Also I've tried an ftp program recommended on the amiga board, I've had no success with this either. I don't want to really try a program like samba because it looks good, but hard to set up. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Old 28 November 2006, 15:21   #2
jimbo100

I now have the exact same problem, set it up perfectly on a wireless connection on an old 40MB drive. Whacked a 1GB in my 1200 and now for the life of me I can no longer get them to connect at all. They ping but Amiga Explorer refuses to start on the PC side.
Old 28 November 2006, 16:38   #3
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Have you started the AExplorer on the Amiga side? If not, that could be your problem.
Old 29 November 2006, 15:45   #4
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Ok, not at home so I cant post the link for configuring Samba (it *is* easy), but in interim:

If you can ping the machines from each other, then at the network itself is working fine:- always troubleshoot from the wire up (check wires/wireless connectivity, check IP connectivity, check TCP/UDP etc etc).

In your cases, the network (cabling and IP, note IP not TCP) is fine; the machines can see each other.

This means that the fault is due to one or more of the following

a. The other machine is firewalled, either the port is closed off, or the firewall is not allowing traffic between the two machines. Check Xp firewall is disabled.

b. The softare is not running - has it been installed correctly? has it been configured correctly?

I have a very good guide at home, but for life of me cannot find it. Will dig out the link and find later.
Old 02 December 2006, 00:59   #5
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

'K, link for the guide is

http://www.birrabrothers.com/tiger/data/samba/

Most excellent, some will be irrelevant to you (such as setting up PC, the cabling - dont use a coax cable! - and perhaps the IP stack on the Amiga)