English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 15 March 2018, 18:31   #1081
Akira

https://cd32.monroeworld.com/CD32FAQ/CD32_FAQ_2000.htm
Quote:
Custom controller based (not IDE or SCSI).
AKIKO controls the CD-ROM.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 March 2018, 19:54   #1082
spudje

However, IDEfix can emulate CD32, does that include CDaudio? That would open up some possbilities, no?
Old 15 March 2018, 20:01   #1083
Akira

If it was open source it would, but it isn't.
I'm not sure, but I am guessing here that yes, it should work with CD Audio.

You still need the CD-Rom for this though.
Catching the calls for playing a CD track is not a problem I think, all the Amiga does is tell the drive to play a track and then the drive does that on its own. If you have to play an audio file, who's gonna deal with the overhead of that and how are you gonna fit that with the game's Amiga audio?

Seems impossible to fix on a CD32, possible maybe with a beefy Amiga running a 14-bit software mixer (and enough grunt to play an audio file while playing a game).
Old 15 March 2018, 20:57   #1084
spudje

Too bad, good I bought some backup lasers
Old 27 April 2018, 21:48   #1085
jotd
Cat freak

BTW I've zoned cd32load v0.34. not much happening there but a few fixes

- fixed: gb_ChipRevBits0 wrong value stored
- fixed: wrong previous state memory in joypads
- improved: properly detect joystick / joypad connected (avoids that pressing 2nd button joystick resets the game)
- improved: if HD mode, detect used filesystem & block size. Exits if blocksize isn't 512 and filesystem is exotic like PFS, SFS
(not perfect as it doesn't detect FFS mounted through uaehf.device yet)
- fixed: reload_GetFileSize/GetFileSizeDec now test D0 before returning (some games only tested CCR): Midnight Resistance works when
files are RN-packed

I'm not done with playing the audio while playing games (adapting music/sfx only games to CD32). But that'll be a tough project

Last edited by jotd; 27 April 2018 at 22:12.
Old 27 April 2018, 23:52   #1086
amigoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I'm not done with playing the audio while playing games (adapting music/sfx only games to CD32). But that'll be a tough project
Do not give up please it would be worth it
Old 02 May 2018, 07:32   #1087
earok

Having some problems with slam tilt - menu loads perfectly, but it crashes when I go to load a table (cd32load v33).

I'm working on an update of the previous disc and I'd be happy to run with WHDLoad for it, except WHDLoad has a lot of OS flicker. I'm assuming that the 2MB slave should always be used, even when there's Fast Ram present?

Old 02 May 2018, 21:27   #1088
jotd
Cat freak

I'll have a look at this SlamTilt issue.

CD32load doesn't use fastmem (except for the startup), and doesn't cache files in fast either (or kickstart). If you have fastmem & want joypad redirection, use JST (well, wait, as I'm trying to fix some bugs... but you can have a try)

I've used JST on my Terrible Fire CD32 board and it worked well, with joypad redirection and all. I could run AGA games. I suspect the board is faulty as I get random crashes/gfx corruption on many games (even with whdload), but at least it's cool to test stuff.
Old 02 May 2018, 22:36   #1089
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I suspect the board is faulty as I get random crashes/gfx corruption on many games (even with whdload), but at least it's cool to test stuff.
I messaged you before about this but you said you had no issues, I guess you did more testing since. You have the same board that I do (same revision chips and all), I wonder if it's the slightly off-spec RAM I guess we'll never know since nobody really cares.
Old 03 May 2018, 07:31   #1090
jotd
Cat freak

Yes, I had a long test session this weekend to test JST + joypad controller remap (which work well, now that I'm using working joypads!!)

It may be the RAM, but one of the gfx corruption I encountered was in a whdload game running fully in chipmem (apart from the whdload slave & data files, but corruption occurred in a part which was working a second ago).

I'll try to do more tests, using only/mainly chipmem. That's where cd32load will come in handy, but I'm waiting for more CF cards that I've ordered to FFS-512 prep whem
Old 03 May 2018, 17:05   #1091
Akira

I don't think the RAM chips are bad at all, from all the testing I have done I think there's a timing issue in the firmware that makes this specific RAM batch be slightly incompatible. Yes, it represents itself as Chip RAM corruption from my experience. If you are interested in going through the same tests I did, let me know by PM and I'll let you know.

Not that it matters much though as development has stopped on this, unless someone else picks up the gauntlet as it is open source.

But in general, my card runs really good and I don't experience these issues except in a very specific scenario.

Well sorry, we went OT.
Old 03 May 2018, 18:26   #1092
jotd
Cat freak

Off topic only slightly. My son played Silkworm jst with the TF and also project x and it worked perfect. I am interested by tests yes
AdSense AdSense