English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 25 October 2003, 20:00   #1
Mr.B

WinUAE - HD, and WinUAE Beats me

I just cant get this to work, im on WinXP Pro, running WinUAE 8.22 R9, and i have a separate drive for it.. now how the heck do i do to get WinUAE to use it as a drive, and NOT a harddrive file?

I looked around on the forum, just cant get anything, followed two links, both just showing ya how to harddrifve file it... no good for me, trying to set up the drive for use with my actuall amiga... rumor has it it will work, so i wanna try...

Any help..Please..
B!

Old 25 October 2003, 23:58   #2
thomas

Well, this only works if the drive is really empty from the PC's point of view (e.g. bought new from the store or formatted in an Amiga before). It must not contain a MBR.

Then just open WinUAE, go to Hard Drives tab, click on Add Harddrive and choose your hdd.

After booting AmigaOS, tell HDToolBox to use uaehf.device instead of scsi.device (edit the tooltypes or use it from the Shell).
Old 26 October 2003, 00:19   #3
Mr.B

So, simply removing the partition table wont do i guess..?

Low level format? if thats even available for the 2.5" drives from IBM... i might still have some old PC with bios low level, somewhere... Any other ideas?

Thanks, good advice is worth more solid gold.
B!

Old 26 October 2003, 01:32   #4
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
yeh ive had this problem! i found one of my old 1.2gig drives recently and after hooking it up to my pc it was fat32 formatted! strange how it was still holding workbench aswell tho... lol

I put the same drive in my spare 1200 and up pops workbench!
Old 26 October 2003, 01:34   #5
Mr.B

That means it should work i guess, just gota figure out how...

Keep shooting ideas, if you get any.. im trying here..
B!

Old 26 October 2003, 01:37   #6
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Mr B, does HBG mean Helsingborg?
Old 26 October 2003, 01:38   #7
Mr.B

yup, Why, you close?
B!

Old 26 October 2003, 01:40   #8
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Lund. Not that far away then

Good to see some fellow amiga lovers in our crappy country.
Old 26 October 2003, 01:42   #9
Mr.B

Yupp... to bad you "so far off" i need to get that darn drive running, saved all my floppies to CD, cant put em back to floppie without a running amiga, and offcourse my Workbench floppies have died...

Sucks, but thats life...
B!

Old 26 October 2003, 01:46   #10
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Yea, sorry but I can not assist you. You see, I am a sorry emu guy these days because I was such a moron and sold my amiga many many years ago. And since then I haven't been able to find a new one.
Old 26 October 2003, 01:52   #11
Mr.B

Awww.. sorry to hear that.. i'll get my stuff sorted, sooner or later.. just hope you get hands on with a Amiga some day...

Best wishes!
B!

Old 26 October 2003, 04:02   #12
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

The best bet to return an ENTIRE DRIVE back to pre-purchase state is to go to the manufacturers homepage and download their "Drive whipe" program that turns it to all theoretical Zero's.

Not even MBR or partitioning survives. (Most IDE drives THESE days, when you try to LOW-LEVEL will say they have, but infact WILL NOT because of the destructive nature of LOW LEVEL format and IDE)
Old 26 October 2003, 07:12   #13
thomas

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.B
So, simply removing the partition table wont do i guess..?

Removing the MBR should do I think. There are only a few bytes that make the MBR recognisable. If you've got Linux (e.g Knoppix) you could erase the first few blocks of the hdd with a simple dd command.

Perhaps Toni can say more because he has built in this protection. IIRC he also wanted to add a hidden option to allow recognition of MBR hdds (allowing you to destroy your main Windows hdd).
Old 26 October 2003, 10:55   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Zero first 100 or so blocks or run WinUAE with -disableharddrivesafetycheck -command line parameter

WARNING: don't accidentally partition/format your Windows drive..
Old 26 October 2003, 11:15   #15
Mr.B

Great, one step ahead, two steps back, now i can add the harddrive, easy to identify, DSOA-21080 Only ide drive that claims to run on a scsi chip... in my PC that is.. and i guess thats why its still failing? It dont show in workbench, and the hardware tools, dont find it, partition fails, after trying to partition both ide and scsi drives...

No luck, ideas plz? can it be the Gigabyte custom raid / ata chip that does it? raid is offcourse turned off, but it still shows as a scsi drive, might it help if i disconnect a cd burner, and hook the drive to the secondare chipset ide? Any other ideas?

Great big thanks guys, you done good so far, its just me i guess...
B!

Old 26 October 2003, 11:45   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Interface type does not matter, all drives that Windows has driver support are automatically detected.

Remember to use uaehf.device ("hdtoolbox uaehf.device"), not uaescsi.device.
Old 26 October 2003, 11:56   #17
Mr.B

Hhum, nope, no go, um.. lets see, i think i did like this...

Run with the - thingy parameter, added the correct drive only, started with "WB3 - install" disk in df0 so far, no go, mounted idefix97, and reset the emu.. ran the finddevice thing, only option in the list is the uaehf.device so no problem there, still no drive shows, click in show all... and there it is, tell it to use, and thats it, dont show anywhere, still cant partition it or anything, ideas? am i a big pain in the backside? sorry if so...

Again, Great thanks.
B!

Old 26 October 2003, 12:57   #18
devilstar

Gothenburg is speaking

Good to see atleast some swedish amiga freaks here!!

Hade gött!
Old 26 October 2003, 15:33   #19
thomas

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.B
Hhum, nope, no go, um.. lets see, i think i did like this...

Run with the - thingy parameter, added the correct drive only, started with "WB3 - install" disk in df0 so far, no go, mounted idefix97, and reset the emu.. ran the finddevice thing, only option in the list is the uaehf.device so no problem there, still no drive shows, click in show all... and there it is, tell it to use, and thats it, dont show anywhere, still cant partition it or anything, ideas? am i a big pain in the backside? sorry if so...

Again, Great thanks.
B!

Do you have another hdf or directory configured as hdd ? I've epxerienced that HDToolbox of OS3.1 and below only sees the first hdd in the list.
Old 26 October 2003, 17:49   #20
Mr.B

i got the idefix thingy as second harddrive, mounted that folder from c:\program files\WinUAE\Idefix

Thats it
B!