English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 16 May 2020, 11:27   #1
Quaxo76

Setting up 8GB hdf with ClassicWB

Hello,
I'm trying to setup a 8GB partitioned image file for my Amiga system. I would like to have an image that I can then also use on my A1200 with accelerator card. Ideally I would like to partition it with a 500MB system partition, and a 7.5 GB partition for games and data.

So far, I have successfully setup ClassicWB Full, with my WHDLoad key and the kickstarts, and it works very well if I use my computer folder as a second HD. (by the way, I'm running Linux exclusively at home, so no Winuae)

I have created a partitionable 8GB hdf file, but now I'm unsure how to proceed. Ideally I would like to partition the 8GB file, copy the small working partition into the first partition of the 8GB file, then copy all the data from the PC folder into the second partition of the hdf. Does this make sense?
But I have a problem, that is, the HD tools I tried report no drives present. Not just unformatted: not present. I tried doing the "loadmodule scsi.device" with the 44.20 version of scsi.device but it doesn't appear to work.

Any suggestion? I've read many guides, but almost all of them rely on winuae or other windows programs (which I don't have).

I was thinking: since an empty hdf file isn't a copyright issue, wouldn't it be nice to have some blank, partitioned images available for download? Being blank, they should compress to a tiny zip file, and that would make things easier for all the people who have trouble creating them...

Thank you for any advice,
Cristian
Old 16 May 2020, 12:47   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi Christian, I can do you a prepped blank 8gb image, no problem. Note that if you want to us this on a real CF card then the image will need to be a bit smaller to fit as you don't get the whole 8gb of space.

Edit, sorry I wasn't able to do it, it wont let me partition the HDF after creating (error type 7 in description) I can't remember how to get around this.

I tried to copy and reformat one of my own images of a CF card which worked however it only compresses down to 4.5gb which I assume means the data still exists and can be recovered therefore I can't share that and I'm sure nor would you want to use 4.5gb of bandwidth to get a blank image!

Hopefully the advice below helps you.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 16 May 2020 at 13:31.
Old 16 May 2020, 13:19   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

If you need to create the Hardfile you have to set it to WinUAE RDB and the native Amiga HDController. To avoid problems with partition sizes, start WinuAE with a 3.9 based OS, done this with HDToolbox initialize, partitions and formats.

Another tip is to use a more robust Filesystem like SFS or PFS this will prevent you from invalidating the Hardisk as is often the case with FFS.

On WinUAE you can also directly connect the CF/HD so you can take advantage of all the space, once initialized, partitioned and formatted always on WinUAE you can clone the CF/HD and create a HardFile.

--- Italiano ---

Se devi creare l'Hardfile devi impostare su WinUAE RDB e l'HDController nativo Amiga. Per non avere problemi con le grandezze partizioni avvia WinuAE con un OS basato 3,9, fatto questo con HDToolbox inizializzi, partizioni e formatti.

Altro consiglio è di utilizzare un Filesystem più robusto come SFS o PFS questo ti eviterà di invalidare ll'Hardisk come spesso accade con FFS.

Su WinUAE puoi anche collegare direttamente la CF/HD in modo da sfruttare tutto lo spazio, una volta inizializzato, partizionato e formattato sempre su WinUAE potrai clonare la CF/HD e creare un HardFile.
Old 16 May 2020, 14:19   #4
Quaxo76

Thanks, but I can't use Winuae... Linux only here, I'm using FS-UAE!
Anyway, I'll try with 3.9 and see if I can figure it out. If I can partition it, how do I choose the SFS file system?
Old 16 May 2020, 14:24   #5
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaxo76 View Post
I can't use Winuae... Linux only here
WinUAE runs quite well with Wine.
Old 16 May 2020, 14:32   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

See the documentation at https://fs-uae.net/docs/hard-drives

(Short version is that you need to tell HDToolBox about uaehf.device, or change the the HD controller used by FS-UAE to IDE or SCSI depending on the Amiga model, but read the section "Using HDF files in RDB format" for more information)
Old 16 May 2020, 15:33   #7
Quaxo76

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post

Thanks. I'll read that and report back.

Cristian

EDIT: Provided I can get it running with UAE, is it transferable with dd or similar to a physical CF?
Old 16 May 2020, 16:14   #8
Quaxo76

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post

(Short version is that you need to tell HDToolBox about uaehf.device, or change the the HD controller used by FS-UAE to IDE or SCSI depending on the Amiga model, but read the section "Using HDF files in RDB format" for more information)

Following that document, I moved forward a bit - now HDToolBox sees the drive. I had created it from within FS-UAE as a RDB drive, so apparently no need to use the hard_drive_type option.
I can enter the drive partitioning page, and I can create partitions. But the size indicator under the drive rectangle wraps around after 4GB. I thought this was a file system problem, but the partitioning comes before the file system choice, right? Should I just go ahead and make a small and a large partition, and then set the file system of the larger one to SFS?

Cristian
Old 16 May 2020, 16:37   #9
thomas

Every software on OS 3.1 has this issue. But it's only the display. If you use the right file system it's safe anyway.

If you want to display numbers larger than 4 GB then you have to use OS 3.5, 3.9 or 3.1.4.

You should use the same file system for all paritions. You first add the file system using Add/Update. Remember to change the identifier, it's not right by default. Then you can select the new file system from the selector on the Change page.

If you start creating partitions before you add the file system then you have to enter the identifier manually and later make sure that you use the same one for the file system.
Old 16 May 2020, 17:17   #10
Quaxo76

OK, so to be clear:
- As soon as I can access the drive in HDToolBox, I have it detect the drive settings (they are detected correctly);
- I remove the partitions that are present;
- I add a file system;
- I create the partitions.
Is this right?
If I try to add a file system, with the Add/Update button, I can see the current file system is FFS; should I remove that or just add another one? If I try to add one, it asks for a filename. Is that the file I find in the LargeHD/8GB_Support/SFS_SCSIDirect_v184/L folder, named "SmartFilesystem"? I tried using that file, but HDToolbox still calls it "FastFileSystem", though the reported version is 1.84 which is correct. I assume this is because of the wrong identifier; but what is the correct identifier to use?

Sorry about all the questions, but I'm pretty confused. I hadn't messed with Amiga file systems in 20 years, and things have changed a lot in the meantime...

Cristian
Old 16 May 2020, 19:15   #11
Quaxo76

Update: I found this identifier number: 53465302. This changed the file system name to SFS/02. I applied the changes and rebooted, but on reboot, I can see the new partition (which I called DATA) on the desktop, but as NDOS. If I try to format it, the formatting utility still sees its size as slightly more than 3GB (I suppose it's 4GB minus the size of the smaller partition)...

EDIT: Sorry for these incremental updates. I went ahead and tried to format it with FFS, and it is now reporting more than 7GB. What does this mean? Did it work, or am I going to get into problems with data corruption?

Cristian

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1200classicwbfull-crop-2005161923-01.png
Views:	128
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	67364  

Last edited by Quaxo76; 16 May 2020 at 19:31.
Old 16 May 2020, 19:43   #12
thomas

Quote:
the formatting utility still sees its size as slightly more than 3GB (I suppose it's 4GB minus the size of the smaller partition)...
No, it's the remainder of dividing the real capacity by 4GB. I told you, *all* software in 3.1 has the wrap-around issue.
Old 16 May 2020, 22:42   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
If I try to add a file system, with the Add/Update button, I can see the current file system is FFS; should I remove that or just add another one?
Cristian

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19aN...5We6peYa-/view
Old 17 May 2020, 11:35   #14
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
EDIT: Provided I can get it running with UAE, is it transferable with dd or similar to a physical CF?
Yes! Works fine with dd.
Old 17 May 2020, 17:13   #15
Radertified

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
No, it's the remainder of dividing the real capacity by 4GB. I told you, *all* software in 3.1 has the wrap-around issue.
Are there no patches for 3.1 (and potentially below) that fix this, or are 3.1.4/3.5/3.9 the only options?
Old 17 May 2020, 17:56   #16
thomas

Each software which has this bug has to be fixed/patched individually.
Old 17 May 2020, 18:02   #17
Radertified

That's a shame. I guess that's more incentive for people to upgrade.

Thanks, thomas!
Old 18 May 2020, 19:28   #18
Quaxo76

So, after following different pages referenced here, I may have been successful. Or at least, I have two partitions, one of which *appears* to contain all the 6GB I copied into it. I haven't tested all the copied files, but I've tested a few in random positions and they all worked. Apart from some glitches that are unrelated.

Now a side question: how do I copy over my System partition to the first partition of the newly created HDF?

Cristian