English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 June 2011, 10:23   #1
oRBIT
Zone Friend

Some insane(?) WinUAE ideas

1) Seamless integration with Windows, that'd be awesome. Imagine running Workbench applications in your Windows environment.
2) "WinUAE - cloud edition"? Imagine your WinUAE setup stored "somewhere else" and you could access it through a webbrowser (like "LogMeIn" or similar services). I frequently want to access my WinUAE stuff on other computers than my own, but installing WinUAE and setting up everything again is not that funny..
Old 13 June 2011, 15:06   #2
int21h

Ad. 1. I'd imagine you'd have to have some kind of run-in-uae environment at least, with best solution consisting of runtime environment like java for example. Or something like posix/cygnix if you're into drag&dropping and other funky stuff.

I think paragraph above tapped into my creativity in this area and used it all already.

Ad. 2 Hmm.... sounds like something Dropbox was created for. Out of my head, I'd configure it to sync your config, ROM, and hdf directory, or just show him where WinUAE is and that's it.

Of course, in that case you're much better off using windows folders under winuae instead of hdfs as it would sync only changes instead of shuffling those hardfiles between your pc, laptop and android/iphone/tabletlike device/hacked photoframe of your chouice.

There would still be issue of ironing out differences in configs between UAE on various platforms, but that shouldn't be big issue, just some tweaking.

Actually, that's great idea you have! I like it and I think I might have some configuring to do

Will be happy to try to work it out between win 7, android and linux.

You're bad person for having those kinds of ideas when weather outside is so great! Don't you know that winter is for projects?
Old 13 June 2011, 15:34   #3
oRBIT
Zone Friend

I use Dropbox at the moment for syncing my WinUAE harddrive + files and obviously it works. But it would be nice the have the entire environment accessible from any computer with internet access.
Old 14 June 2011, 00:42   #4
laffer
Zone Friend

From what I recall, Toni has stated several times that he wants to focus strictly on things the real machines could do - which is why he hasn't included netplay either.

So I doubt these ideas are likely to make it in there.

This is all from memory though, and my memory is seriously bad - so if I'm dead wrong, I apologize!
Old 02 July 2011, 15:24   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

1) asked few times previously. Can't be done before either Picasso96 or CGFX is opensourced (highly unlikely, apparently there are too big egos and personal reasons and stuff that happened long time ago). There is no information how to RTG internally works.

I guess it is possible with AROS. Maybe someday, maybe not..

2) Not WinUAE's task.
Old 22 July 2011, 04:56   #6
Radertified

Regarding the seamless integration, would a fake seamless be possible?

Virtualbox ( http://www.virtualbox.org/ ) has a seamless mode where all it does is show the entire virtualized machine in a window without the window titlebar. The Windows taskbar is visible so I am able to switch between the host and guest "seamlessly". Half the time I have no idea that I'm in seamless mode because it's done so well. I've made a screenshot at http://i.imgur.com/y0Nwn.jpg . Minimizing all windows in the guest machine will show the host desktop, which is great, but I think that's the RTG problem.

Obviously a full seamless mode would be ideal, but at this point, I guess what I'm requesting is the fullscreen windowed mode in WinUAE, but with the Windows taskbar still visible.
Old 24 July 2011, 16:29   #7
onkelarie

I'm a bit puzzled about 'seamless integration'. I simply made a config with a hardfile for DH0 en a windows folder for the DH1 harddrive. Using DH1, I can easily exchange files between windows and the winUAE environment. On top of that, when hitting CTRL+F12, there's an excellent full-screen mode (when configured right) if the windowed winUAE show a bit too much Win$ skin....

But then again, I might be missing a point here Any insight is welcome!
Old 24 July 2011, 16:38   #8
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

you could take a screengrab of the windows desktop and then use that as a backdrop in the Amiga Environment!
Old 28 July 2011, 10:46   #9
o1i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oRBIT View Post
1) Seamless integration with Windows, that'd be awesome. Imagine running Workbench applications in your Windows environment.
You can do this in AROS. Running classic AmigaOS applications on the AROS desktop. Every AmigaOS window (and screen) gets its own AROS window (and screen).

Here you can see both a native AROS Jano editor and the same editor as AmigaOS application, both look equally native:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ypaUlffYZr...dergadgets.jpg

If you use the same fonts, you can't easily detect the differences.

In theory, you could also implement something like that in WinUAE. But of course, it is "easier" to map AmigaOS OpenWindow() calls to AROS OpenWindow() calls, as they use (more or less) the same API/menu system/border gadgets. And it is a hell to get it stable .

Janus-UAE is also based on the old e-uae sources, so no clean and easy merges into winUAE either.