English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.GameBase Amiga

Old 09 April 2007, 17:19   #1
jens198

Error running Gamebase [Amiga] 1.3 with WinUAE 1.3.2

Hi,

Problem: When I try to run a game from the gamebase frontend I get the following error message:

My setup:
WinVISTA, Gamebase Amiga 1.3, WinUAE Ver 1.3.2, detected correctly in gamebase with the wizard. WinUAE runs itself runs fine, all Kickstart-ROMs are detected correctly.
Gemus.dat (is the one that came with Gamebase Amiga 1.3) is dated 12.10.2006.

Any ideas what I'm missing?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Jens

Old 09 April 2007, 18:50   #2
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Er..the only reason I can think it would say something like that is it either can't find the directory (if it couldn't find the file it would create it) or it can't modify the file because it's set as read only.
Old 10 April 2007, 07:14   #3
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

I can't really think of anything right now either, please verify the directory exists and directory and/or file aren't write protected.

There could be issues with old Visual Basic programs and Windows Vista, although I haven't heard of any. Could anybody using GameBase (whatever database) on Windows Vista report on how well it works?
Old 30 May 2007, 10:42   #4
GameBase
James

Send a message via MSN to GameBase
vista

It could be Vista's security... try running GameBase as administrator (right click GameBase.exe and select "run as Administrator".

I've had problems like this before with other apps, but not specifically GameBase. I make sure when I perform application installs I run the install programs as administrator. This seems to get rid of that problem.

HTH
Old 30 May 2007, 11:14   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yes, it is Vista security issue (didn't notice OS was Vista)

"Program Files" is read-only in Vista (without full admin). It has "always" been wrong to save user data in Program Files but only in Vista it is enforced. (and in XP in restricted user mode)

Setting configuration (and all other) paths in paths-panel to somewhere else will fix it (or if you are lazy, use "WinUAE default (new)" paths.
Old 30 May 2007, 11:19   #6
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

I'm afraid that config file is generated by GameBase and can't easily be generated anywhere else and the path to it is passed to WinUAE as a command line parameter. So changing WinUAE paths won't solve this particular problem.
Old 30 May 2007, 11:56   #7
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Uninstall GameBase and install it somewhere other than \Program Files\ that will solve the problem.
Old 30 May 2007, 11:58   #8
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

*hits head* duh.