English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 06 October 2017, 11:47   #1481
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
I could start working on something you are asking for though. Simplest way is to just disable the "ftp" account and have everyone register an upload account. I would need a way to get the list of registered users on the forums though so that I can cross reference that with that users are trying to register to the FTP with. No match, no go.
I think this would be a good idea

...or even doing what amiga_Forever has suggested would work:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga_Forever View Post
only registered uses (which would do away with the ftp password access that anyone can know) to must provide your own (as in the case with uploading) to apply this to download as well, seems like a good idea.
Old 06 October 2017, 11:59   #1482
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I think this would be a good idea

...or even doing what amiga_Forever has suggested would work:
That would be the same thing right? I mean, I can't use the EAB forums for authentication, but I can use it for verifying that the username does exist when creating an upload account (Which would be used for downloading as well).

Although, using the memberlist to verify that you have an EAB account is just asking for people looking through the 5000 list of members and creating an upload account for a random user. Very exploitable.

Best thing would be to create the upload account from the EAB forums so that you would have to be logged in to EAB to create one. Not sure how that would be accomplished though =) Unless the EAB forums can run bash scripts and a FTP client connection. Then it would work.

That would actually be the easiest way for me to do this.
Move the eabadduser webpage to the EAB forums and lock it behind "registered members only". Then just disable the anonymous FTP account.
I would need to have a chat with someone running the boards for that I guess.

But then again, number of people leeching is not the problem to begin with as far as I can see.

Last edited by Turran; 06 October 2017 at 12:05.
Old 06 October 2017, 12:08   #1483
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Best thing would be to create the upload account from the EAB forums so that you would have to be logged in to EAB to create one. Not sure how that would be accomplished though =) Unless the EAB forums can run bash scripts and a FTP client connection. Then it would work.

That would actually be the easiest way for me to do this.
Move the eabadduser webpage to the EAB forums and lock it behind "registered members only". Then just disable the anonymous FTP account.
I would need to have a chat with someone running the boards for that I guess.
RCK is the man, you should drop him a PM and I'm sure he can work with you to implement this somehow

Quote:
But then again, number of people leeching is not the problem to begin with as far as I can see.
At the end of the day it's your FTP. If you don't think it's an issue and are happy for all the internet / various other forums to be linking too / leeching from it then don't do anything and ignore this request...
Old 06 October 2017, 12:25   #1484
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
At the end of the day it's your FTP. If you don't think it's an issue and are happy for all the internet / various other forums to be linking too / leeching from it then don't do anything and ignore this request...
I dont, but I'm only hosting it. If EAB as a whole do not want that sort of thing, we'll change it =) Perhaps have a chat with the powers to be?
Old 06 October 2017, 13:29   #1485
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I dont, but I'm only hosting it. If EAB as a whole do not want that sort of thing, we'll change it =) Perhaps have a chat with the powers to be?
Let's see what all our members think; "poll" thread created

See Should the EAB File Server be locked down to members only?...
Old 06 October 2017, 17:41   #1486
Turran

I would be interested to know if anyone feel they are not getting the speed they should from a 1000/1000 FTP. There are no restrictions in place today, so if you feel that you are not getting the speeds that you get from the big scene sites (Tihi, same system runs EAB), let me know.

Try one of the bigger files, like \Commodore_Amiga\WHDLoad_Packs\Games_WHDLoad

I'm just curious if there is something else holding us back, hardware wise, at my end, cause it should for sure not be slow!
Old 06 October 2017, 17:44   #1487
Leffmann

For what it's worth, the site has always been super fast for me. Thanks for hosting it.
Old 06 October 2017, 18:23   #1488
Amiga1992

I have no complaints over the speed, really. Even if it was slower than what it is, it's still a valuable resource that I have access to.

My main problem usually comes when trying to browse and download a file at the same time, many times I go over the connection limit and I get blocked from doing so. Other than that, I appreciate very much your work on the FTP, Turran, and I think it runs brilliantly.
Old 06 October 2017, 18:32   #1489
Amiga4000

If bandwidth is the main issue here, you could always restrict download access to the primary FTP server based on logon credentials and contribution yet, allow unrestricted downloads to an FTP mirror. That way, even if members are not contributing, they could be redirected to the mirror. BTW, when a couple of members where populating their mirrors from the primary FTP server recently, probably at full bore, I never noticed a slowdown on the primary, anyone else notice? Oh, and thanks so much for this extremely valuable resource!
Old 10 October 2017, 11:25   #1490
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Is there a reason why i cannot access mirror via web ? Connection timed out. I could get ftp client to connect a second time, but no transfers could take place.
Old 10 October 2017, 12:54   #1491
DannyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga_Forever View Post
Is there a reason why i cannot access mirror via web ? Connection timed out. I could get ftp client to connect a second time, but no transfers could take place.
Connections to mirror are restricted to one per IP address. Using a web browser might not be very convenient. For instance, if you try using multiple tabs to browse directories and download at the same time it's not gonna work very well.

I think best way to use is with FTP client. Just queue up stuff you want and download them in batch after you're done with searching.
Old 11 October 2017, 16:52   #1492
Turran

Change on primary FTP. The anonymous "ftp" account is locked to 500Kb/sec.

You are still able to log in twice with it, but no longer can someone anonymous take up the whole gigabit link. 500Kb/sec is still pretty generous.

Also, the "site who" command is locked once again for the anonymous "ftp" account. Registered upload accounts can still use it.
Old 11 October 2017, 17:09   #1493
Dunny

I have no issues with download speed, it's browsing directories that takes an absolute age.
Old 11 October 2017, 17:13   #1494
ross
Defendit numerus

Some test, from my account:

download: 500kbyte/sec (so is locked also for registered)
upload: 5mbyte/sec (from a 100mbit connection)
[second try: ~7MB/sec, with peak to 10MB, so near full bandwith]
[yes, and browsing is slow]

(not that i need to download too much )

Thanks for the service Turran!

Last edited by ross; 14 November 2017 at 22:42.
Old 11 October 2017, 17:38   #1495
Turran

Try browsing now and see if its better (log out and back in if you're still online).

Ross, I'm PMed you about your username. Registered accounts should not have a speed limit.

Edit: Ross, never mind. Found you and for some reason, the limit was set to you too... removed

Edit2: Found the reason. All "new" upload accounts was limited to 500Kb/sec down for some reason. What "new" means, I do not know since I do not remember doing that change...

All upload accounts reset to unlimited.

Last edited by Turran; 11 October 2017 at 17:47.
Old 11 October 2017, 18:02   #1496
ross
Defendit numerus

Better in download (1,5MB, also from a 60mbit line).
Even saturated the 100mbit in upload.

[i'll try tonight with another 100mbit: same]

Last edited by ross; 14 November 2017 at 22:41. Reason: [more tests]
Old 11 October 2017, 18:07   #1497
Turran

Goodie. Thanks for testing. Browsing still just as slow?
Old 11 October 2017, 18:19   #1498
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Goodie. Thanks for testing. Browsing still just as slow?
Seems to work better.

But better if someone else confirms it.

Old 11 October 2017, 19:32   #1499
Dunny

Tested on Mac and Windows, both Chrome browser - sits for about 5 to 10 seconds waiting for a connection when clicking folder links. Faster, but nowhere near as fast as the mirror, which is near instant.
Old 11 October 2017, 21:19   #1500
Genlock
Out to Grass

Tested for zool in advanced search = 1 sec..
access to Index of ftp://ftp@grandis.nu/ listing = 7 sec
and each link from there in the tree was = 7 sec

using firefox in linux.