English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 24 July 2001, 09:34   #1
sborat

Operation Thunderbolt

Despite of the Back to the Roots tips I cannot make it work with WinUAE.
The first disk hangs on track 66 ...

could you please help ?
many thanks.

Old 24 July 2001, 10:35   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I can't even remember my experience with this game in emulation and I have a memory intensive task going on right now in Cool Edit Pro, so I can't check the game just now. Off hand, you may want to give some more info like who cracked it (if you can get that far in the game), where you got the adf from (PE2000? your own floppy? etc.) and we can start peeling away the layers...
Old 24 July 2001, 10:43   #3
sborat

Exclamation more infos

right.
I can't quite remember where I've downloaded those ADFs,
not from PE2k for sure.

No intro/crack credits ever shows up before the game hangs.

Dumping the ADF I've found this:

IMPORTED BY GINNIE/AUSTRALIAN CRACKERS UNITED

Old 24 July 2001, 11:11   #4
Walker

Hmmm... I canĀ“t remember running this game in an emulator.

When I try my copy of it, I get the same problem as sborat. Trying the disk(s) from WB throws an Key 880 checksum error in my face.
Old 24 July 2001, 11:22   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Hmmm...I tried the BTTR settings, too (OCS 1.2, Sound=Emulated, Disk 1 in DF0: & DF1:, Disk 2 in DF2: & DF3: <-weird, huh? ), but it locked up WinUAE the exact same way as when I tried it normally under 1.3!

My version is the Oracle crack. It starts with music like an intro on a black screen, then after clicking that away, the Oracle intro appears. After clicking that and it fades out, it dies.

Anyone else?
Old 24 July 2001, 18:38   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Evil grin

ARGH...that hurts me a bit. I was the one who sent this configuration to Bobic in '99, and it worked fine. (tested with 0.8.8 R8)

Well ... NOW I know what you fellas do, you copy the _information_ but you don't use the BTTR config _files_. There's one thing you miss that way: the parallel port is disabled in configuration OCS12, which seems to cause all your lockups.

To disable that beast in 0.8.14 and earlier versions, follow these steps:

either:
- move to 'Game & I/O ports' tab
- delete the 'LPT1' letters from the text field
or:
edit the *.UAE file and set parallel_port=none

---> parallel port is now disabled!

Hope that helps...

Last edited by andreas; 25 July 2001 at 23:05.
Old 24 July 2001, 21:05   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, I'll be damned. It actually worked. I actually used the BTTR 1.2 config file, but when I clicked on the config file there, it just took me to a screen explaining setups, so I did it manually.

At any rate, I saved the working config for my machine, so...

BTW: is this game supposed to have a crosshair? It's quite a bit difficult to shoot enemies with the current method since most of the time I cannot tell where my weapon pointer is!
Old 24 July 2001, 23:19   #8
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Op Thunderbolt strangeness

OK dudes, I know a little about this game!

1. There is no crosshair - sometimes shooting dogs/crates gives you a weapon where you get a red dot on the screen to aim with - other than that, they tried to make it feel real by having no crosshair. If you emulator isn't running it full Amiga speed, shooting baddies will be a nightmare!

2. There are 2 Oracle versions, one with intro and one without. The cleanest crack is the one with NO intro, it just says "cracked by Oracle" on about the 3rd screen of credits.

3. Anyone that is playing the game from an ADF has a crack (even if no intro!) - the original has Rob Northen protection and will hang within seconds.

For all games, the parallel port should be disabled unless you really need it. WHDLoad 10+ will not run properly on emulators with the parallel port working (WinUAE anyway, haven't tried fellow).

Hope that helps!
Old 25 July 2001, 07:44   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks for the info on this very cool game. I'm pretty sure I have played the original (either in the arcades, in MAME or both!) and I just dig it, but it's been awhile so I couldn't remember about the aiming/crosshair thing.

My system isn't all that fast, so playing the game was a little jerky, and yes...shooting baddies is a nightmare!

Can somebody upload the cleaner crack by Oracle? The copy I posted doesn't really have much of an intro, but I reckon that's the lesser version. I hate to ask because I know we are piling on the uploads to RCK's server, but I trust he will be purging the older files...

Good point on the parallel port; for all I know a lot of games that don't work when testing different configs could be due to that. I think I shall re-save all of my configs with that disabled, since I will never use it. Again, thanks for the very useful tip that I'd never considered.
Old 25 July 2001, 23:04   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
@Twistin'

Loriciel's "Entity" is exactly the same thing, freezing up if the parallel port is active. But anyway, it does NOT work in 0.8.8 - you must use the 0.8.14 or later versions.