English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 August 2003, 19:54   #41
khephren

Quote:
You don't have a clue about what you're saying. DPaint cannot be replaced by a photo editing tool nor by a vector drawing tool. Yer barking up the wrong tree. Those who have really used DPaint know that it cannot be matched
So what can you do in Deluxe Paint that is so impossible in Photoshop? Would love an example of what "cannot be matched"?

Deluxe Paint is antiquated, slow, clumsy, and should have been consigned to the bin of history a long time ago.

Quote:
Price and space excuses are lame. An Amiga is smaller than a PC, you can set it up almost anywhere without compromising any space
I have four PCs running which I use for work so very little room here for an Amiga to be set up. Then again, it's easier to load WinUAE than unplug the video, DVD, get the amiga out, power supply, plug it all in, stretch the cable from Amiga to the stereo, etc etc It just not worth the hassle for the piss poor things Deluxe Paint is capable of.

Cosmigo Pro-Motion is a pretty cool replacement as well for the PC it you are dedicated to pixel graphics.
Old 10 August 2003, 23:29   #42
JudasEZT

I make graphics for commercial GameboyAdvance games and now also for Movile Phones. I use DpaintV to make graphics.

I tried to get into ProMotio.. I wasnt able. it works to manage palettes and tileset of maps. but I must to draw things in Dpaint.
And promotio is a pixel program.. but refering Photoshop. Impossible to do good pixel works. You have no control of palette and it suuuuuuucks.. the control of the palette is very important
because you usually must to do sprites or smthing with determined amount of colours.

Dpaint is the tool. and must to be amiga version becoz peecee versions sucks.

I make my work in WinUAE. but if I would come back to draw pictures or logos for demoscene,.. I would must to use it on my amiga 1200 becoz, as Akira says, the mouse feels different.

btw, PPaint is also very good, and Brilliance was used for Cyclone/Abyss
Old 11 August 2003, 17:15   #43
Amiga1992

Judas beat me to it. I also TRIED to use ProMotion, but I ended up hating it.

About Photoshop.. please....

The fact about space is that you It's not that you CAN'T dedicate space to an Amiga setup, it's just that you can't be arsed.
Old 11 August 2003, 17:20   #44
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Oh I'll just add that even on the PC, I'm don't like Photoshop very much. Dunno why actually, but I prefer Paint Shop Pro any time.

On the amiga I'm into Cloanto's PPaint. I think it does the job.
Old 12 August 2003, 00:03   #45
khephren

Well why the fuck would I want to load Deluxe Paint for a sodding drawing when Photoshop does it all any way, and then some.

@ JudasEZT.

Fair point about palettes, but I have used photoshop to draw graphics for Amiga things I've been pissing around with and they've been pretty good.

@ Fisken Uno

Never got on with Paint Shop Pro, just used to Photoshop since version 3 now.
Old 12 August 2003, 03:52   #46
lordsnooty

Quote:
Originally posted by khephren
[B]Well why the fuck would I want to load Deluxe Paint for a sodding drawing when Photoshop does it all any way, and then some.
This sums it up, crudely but effectively!

I've drawn stuff in Photoshop that I'd have no hope of achieving in something as antiquiated as DPaint. I loved it back in the good old days, but it just doesn't compare with Photoshop. You might say that Photoshop helps me to compensate for the fact that I have no artistic ability whatsoever. So what it could do for a real artist... it beggars belief.

As for Paint Shop Pro... I use it for browsing thumbnails and basic conversion, but I'd rather have my fingers crushed beneath a falling anvil than draw in it. But then again, I have been using Photoshop for a long time now.
Old 23 September 2003, 18:35   #47
tin

just reverse your own sentence!

Quote:
I've drawn stuff in Photoshop that I'd have no hope of achieving in something as antiquiated as DPaint.
I'VE drawn stuff in Dpaint that I'd have no hope of achieving in [...ok it's not antiquated...] Photoshop.

Horses for courses and all that. Pass me the PC bitmap graphics manipulating software? Oh there is none?
Old 23 September 2003, 18:40   #48
lordsnooty

Quote:
Originally posted by tin
Horses for courses and all that. Pass me the PC bitmap graphics manipulating software? Oh there is none?
But... er... surely Photoshop is bitmap graphics manipulating software?
Old 25 September 2003, 16:35   #49
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Stick out tongue

Quote:
Originally posted by JudasEZT
I make graphics for commercial GameboyAdvance games and now also for Movile Phones. .

Eh? What is that a new Nokia device for use in Transylvania, JudasEZT?