English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 June 2002, 20:38   #1
DPainter

Floppy disk Help with setting up DMS & GUI

I want to start using DMS on an Amiga to transfer my disks rather than DISK2FDI on a PC, so that real Amigas can get to them easily. Not only that, but DISK2FDI can't handle nonDOS tracks well. I haven't found a FAQ or guide for setting this up, so I'm asking here.

My main questions are what version of DMS (let's assume for OS 3.x) and what GUI for DMS.
Old 20 June 2002, 21:33   #2
§ane

You might want to reconsider using DMS as a dumping method, DP.

I don't want to start another ADF/DMS feud, it is a great format and all, but the fact remains it will produce a different CRC in some but not all cases. I have encountered this phenomenon myself, it may only be a matter of a single byte and you will wind up with yet another alt copy.
Old 20 June 2002, 22:13   #3
DPainter

Quote:
Originally posted by §ane
You might want to reconsider using DMS as a dumping method, DP.

I don't want to start another ADF/DMS feud, it is a great format and all, but the fact remains it will produce a different CRC in some but not all cases. I have encountered this phenomenon myself, it may only be a matter of a single byte and you will wind up with yet another alt copy.
I would prefer to use DISK2FDI because it puts an Amiga DOS disk right on my PC in about a minute, which I can then test with any number of emulated Amiga configurations. Obviously it doesn't work with some games or high density disks, but overall I've had terrific success.

I'm going to be dumping a lot more disks in the near future and I want to make it easy but also beneficial to the Amiga community present and future. Do you think someone is going to make an ADF to DMS tool for the PC soon or is that not technically possible?
Old 20 June 2002, 22:26   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

There already is a tool for doing that:-

ADF Opus

It's not the only one, but it's the only one with a GUI I think, all the others are command line affairs.
Old 20 June 2002, 22:32   #5
DPainter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
There already is a tool for doing that:-

ADF Opus

It's not the only one, but it's the only one with a GUI I think, all the others are command line affairs.
Does it convert ADF to DMS or just DMS to ADF? I want to be able to take ADF files and quickly convert them to DMS so an Amiga user with a CD-ROM can use them.
Old 20 June 2002, 23:01   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

Hmm, you got me there, the old version 0.7 could only do dms to adf's, but I think the new version (or the next version can't remember) can do it both ways, I'll do some digging

Edit: Nope, it just converts DMS to something else, not something else (ADF or ADZ) to DMS, sorry for building your hopes up like that
Old 20 June 2002, 23:03   #7
§ane

Certainly possible, if only xDMS had this functionality, don't know about ADF Opus but you can of course convert your ADFs via WinUAE using amiga version DMS, although this will lead you back to your original question, DMS & GUI, of which I can't tell you anything useful except to check with Aminet.