English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 13 November 2017, 21:03   #1
BippyM
Global Moderator

Feature requests for EAB

I thought I would create this thread as RCK is updating EAB hopefully and he is looking at adding some new features. Let's use this thread to suggest some ideas
  • Mobile Notifications
  • User tagging within posts, with notifications (for me when I am tagged at least)
  • A better, more modern mobile skin

Any others??
Old 13 November 2017, 21:31   #2
nogginthenog
Amigan

Usenet gateway. I wanna read/reply to posts on my A4000
Downside is no adverts for EAB.
Old 13 November 2017, 22:01   #3
AmigaBoy

This isn't so much an EAB feature, but more a HOL feature that I've been thinking about lately.

It'd be nice to see UAE configs added to HOL. For instance, I go to Hunter and a ready-to-go working config is there. I download, import into UAE, insert the disk and play.

Points that would need to be addressed:

- Multiple versions of a game: Perhaps tie to a CRC/MD5/SHA.../etc of disk images that are known to be working 100%.
- Time: This would be a lengthy process, but like screenshots and scans, this would probably be a community run project.

I look at something like this as the next step in Amiga emulation. It would greatly simplify things and help everyone that's put time into their own frontend implementations (looking at poor Belgarath and GameBase Amiga). Also easier to answer threads about "I need help getting game xyz working". Point them to the HOL entry.
Old 13 November 2017, 22:02   #4
Amiga1992

I personally don't want any of the features that would turn a bulletin board system into attention-seeking social media. Probably the reason I still come here, is that it's not like social media with its notifications, red dots and bullshit!

My feature requests would be more in line with trying to keep the whole thing as oldschool as possible, but my number one feature request is this:

- Allow for more filetypes to be uploaded to EAB, possibly, all filetypes. So we don't have to compress files just to upload. Most wanted extensions: IFF and MOD
Old 13 November 2017, 22:14   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I personally don't want any of the features that would turn a bulletin board system into attention-seeking social media. Probably the reason I still come here, is that it's not like social media with its notifications, red dots and bullshit!

My feature requests would be more in line with trying to keep the whole thing as oldschool as possible...
Well said, Akira! My sentiments exactly.

Quote:
...but my number one feature request is this:

- Allow for more filetypes to be uploaded to EAB, possibly, all filetypes. So we don't have to compress files just to upload. Most wanted extensions: IFF and MOD
Are you referring to attachments, The Zone or both?

Given that all files uploaded to The Zone are eventually preserved on the File Server as well, Turran might wish to clarify his standpoint on that.
Old 13 November 2017, 22:19   #6
Amiga1992

Sorry, I meant the post attachments.

Uae configs and logs would also be a great thing to be able to add. There's just many more things we can attach nowadays to a post and it would be more helpful to have a file attached to a post than to The Zone. Not only it's easier to search, the attachments then remain in context and searchable online through Google or whatever.

People usually are uploading things to The Zone that are needed by posts, and many times they are key elements that would go better in a post attachment. The Zone was originally intended just to share game and program files, but we usually attach anything anyone needs in a post that doesn't really fir in an attachment because of file size restrictions, file types, or both.
Old 13 November 2017, 22:29   #7
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaBoy View Post
This isn't so much an EAB feature, but more a HOL feature that I've been thinking about lately.

It'd be nice to see UAE configs added to HOL. For instance, I go to Hunter and a ready-to-go working config is there. I download, import into UAE, insert the disk and play.

Points that would need to be addressed:

- Multiple versions of a game: Perhaps tie to a CRC/MD5/SHA.../etc of disk images that are known to be working 100%.
- Time: This would be a lengthy process, but like screenshots and scans, this would probably be a community run project.

I look at something like this as the next step in Amiga emulation. It would greatly simplify things and help everyone that's put time into their own frontend implementations (looking at poor Belgarath and GameBase Amiga). Also easier to answer threads about "I need help getting game xyz working". Point them to the HOL entry.
This is actually a good idea and there is a config maker that creates configs for the WHDload project. I'm sure that could be upgraded to work dynamically with hol. I'll point Horace here and see what he thinks
Old 13 November 2017, 22:33   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I agree with social media but I think notifications are a huge must. Especially as a moderator I think it's important. As I've already pointed out I use my phone a lot more and we shoukd take advantage of the benefits whilst trying to maintain the old Skool feel
Old 13 November 2017, 22:34   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Sorry, I meant the post attachments.

Uae configs and logs would also be a great thing to be able to add. There's just many more things we can attach nowadays to a post and it would be more helpful to have a file attached to a post than to The Zone. Not only it's easier to search, the attachments then remain in context and searchable online through Google or whatever.

People usually are uploading things to The Zone that are needed by posts, and many times they are key elements that would go better in a post attachment. The Zone was originally intended just to share game and program files, but we usually attach anything anyone needs in a post that doesn't really fir in an attachment because of file size restrictions, file types, or both.
Thanks for the clarification. I am in favour of everything you have requested, though I am not totally opposed to notifications for moderators, if they wish to enable this feature.
Old 13 November 2017, 23:03   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
I agree with social media but I think notifications are a huge must. Especially as a moderator I think it's important.
But... you erased Tapatalk, which gives you those features!
Old 13 November 2017, 23:10   #11
Devlin
Bane of Magic

I think the one feature i'd like the most is a nice looking theme that's compatible with the common browsers (IBrowse etc)
Old 13 November 2017, 23:28   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin View Post
common browsers (IBrowse etc)
IBrowse and "common" cannot go in the same sentence

I feel the nearest you will get is the "mobile" skin. Anything new would break on those shitty old browsers, and anything old might bring problems to EAB.
Old 13 November 2017, 23:33   #13
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
But... you erased Tapatalk, which gives you those features!
Tapatalk was incredibly inconsistent and just... Shit.. That's the reason I deleted it.
Old 14 November 2017, 00:23   #14
emufan

Quote:
keep the whole thing as oldschool as possible

#1) somewhere I already request a way to downscale embedded images, if they kill the layout.
with the option to click on them, to see the big version.
Old 14 November 2017, 00:55   #15
DH
Global Moderator

There is a plugin that resizes the image and you have the option to enlarge it to full size if you so wish, can't remember the name and can't find out what it is until I'm back on main PC tomorrow. we used it on CiA and iirc Amibay use it too.
Old 14 November 2017, 00:56   #16
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
#1) somewhere I already request a way to downscale embedded images, if they kill the layout.
with the option to click on them, to see the big version.
That's a good one. If you try to upload an image to your Profile page Album space, it will automatically be downsized or compressed until it is below the maximum file size and/or dimensions (97.7kB and 600x600 pixels), if appropriate.

Excessively large embedded images are annoying and difficult to moderate, and ought to be limited to, say, 800x600 pixels, IMHO.
Old 14 November 2017, 01:00   #17
emufan

yep. there are some addons for the vbulletin software.
RCK did reply to my request earlier, maybe he still does remember on his own, considering this feature
Old 14 November 2017, 09:09   #18
meynaf
son of 68k

Minor annoyance, but not there before and easy to handle : my small feature request is a permanent removal of that damned cookie warning that appeared recently and forces me to close it every time i return here (going to another page, even logging in, does not remove it). Yes cookies are deleted on my machine everytime i close the browser and no i don't want to change that because i don't want to be tracked - so don't tell me it goes away the first time you close it, that's not true for me.
As i said, minor prb, but nevertheless.
Old 14 November 2017, 10:01   #19
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Minor annoyance, but not there before and easy to handle : my small feature request is a permanent removal of that damned cookie warning that appeared recently and forces me to close it every time i return here (going to another page, even logging in, does not remove it). Yes cookies are deleted on my machine everytime i close the browser and no i don't want to change that because i don't want to be tracked - so don't tell me it goes away the first time you close it, that's not true for me.
I agree about this, and it's such a bullshit warning plaguing the web.

Since the dawn of internet the cookie warning has been an optional setting in the browser where it belongs, it makes no sense doing it server side.
Old 14 November 2017, 10:34   #20
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
I’m pretty sure that cookie warning is an EU directive.