English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 30 November 2009, 10:14   #61
s2325
Zone Friend

Goblins 2 - You can still call wizard through the window of his house even if door are already open. If you exit his house he is still in the window.
Old 06 December 2009, 01:57   #62
Dan Locke

Final Fantasy VI (III outside of Japan): Why do the characters become castle-dwarfing giants when they wander around on the world map?

The Wipeout games: How is it that an officially-sanctioned racing series with enormous exposure and popularity can provide weapons to drivers for the purpose of killing each other - somehow using X-shapes on the racetracks to do so - and not be illegalized after its inaugural race?
Old 06 December 2009, 02:04   #63
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Locke View Post
Final Fantasy VI (III outside of Japan): Why do the characters become castle-dwarfing giants when they wander around on the world map?
Easy : Because it was like that in Final Fantasy 1...
Old 06 December 2009, 06:18   #64
ancalimon
Supernormal

Adventure games in which you can say the same thing to someone over and over again, and yet he doesn't get pissed and punch you on the nose.

In Crysis I sometimes die because of a small box. Go figure.
Old 06 December 2009, 12:05   #65
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
I think you just answered your own question in the same sentence. They're on a world MAP. They're not out in the world.

The real question is, how can they be attacked and magically transferred to the world when they're just moving pieces around on the map?

Or how come a Phoenix Down only wakes you up from a knockout? And when everyone's knocked out, how come it's game over and you're supposedly dead? I thought knockouts usually only lasted for some time. Unless they're put in a coma which you can't get out of?

But these are things that player's really shouldn't need to question, since it's a fantasy game after all. It's much worse with games like The Getaway. When you get shot, and you're limping and your clothes are drenched in blood. I supposed a visit to the hospital and sending the clothes to a cleaner should help with that. But no, in this game you just need to lean against the wall for a minute, then the blood stains will magically disappear, and your health will be back to normal. I assume also that the bullets you took magically disappear from within your body as well, since you're healthy and all after resting for a minute.
Old 06 December 2009, 12:32   #66
ancalimon
Supernormal

I have something in mind. I think real life defies logic more than any game. People make wars and kill each other.

Think this: They could do the same war on simulators, they could play Cannon Fodder, Crysis, Command And Conquer etc. And there wouldn't be need for any real war. When you think about it this way, I think any game makes more sense than real life.
Old 06 December 2009, 16:25   #67
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
I have something in mind. I think real life defies logic more than any game. People make wars and kill each other.

Think this: They could do the same war on simulators, they could play Cannon Fodder, Crysis, Command And Conquer etc. And there wouldn't be need for any real war. When you think about it this way, I think any game makes more sense than real life.
Peace and luv, peace and luv.

/hippie mode

:P
Old 06 December 2009, 22:26   #68
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
yay thats got some true setiment there ancalimon

spyhunter
change from a car to a boat in no time at all
Old 07 December 2009, 04:16   #69
JGolden

Assasin SE - Cool game but how does he fire those missles out of his but when he gets mad?!?!?

Conan for the Apple. He's CONAN dang it! What is with the throwing daggers and no big sword?!?!?

Last edited by JGolden; 07 December 2009 at 04:21. Reason: forgot Conan ;)

Old 07 December 2009, 07:58   #70
Dan Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Easy : Because it was like that in Final Fantasy 1...
Ah. I have absolutely no experience with the Final Fantasy series outside of VI, although I'd imagine that the Mode 7 effect makes it much more noticeable on the SNES than on the NES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
I think you just answered your own question in the same sentence. They're on a world MAP. They're not out in the world.
Really? I thought that the 3D effect was intended to make it literal. I called it the "world map" because that's the colloqial expression.

Quote:
The real question is, how can they be attacked and magically transferred to the world when they're just moving pieces around on the map?
Don't forget the turn-based battles. Turn-based battles never make any sense from a practical point of view, and it's no different there.

Quote:
Or how come a Phoenix Down only wakes you up from a knockout? And when everyone's knocked out, how come it's game over and you're supposedly dead? I thought knockouts usually only lasted for some time. Unless they're put in a coma which you can't get out of?
Also, Aeris.

Quote:
But these are things that player's really shouldn't need to question, since it's a fantasy game after all. It's much worse with games like The Getaway. When you get shot, and you're limping and your clothes are drenched in blood. I supposed a visit to the hospital and sending the clothes to a cleaner should help with that. But no, in this game you just need to lean against the wall for a minute, then the blood stains will magically disappear, and your health will be back to normal. I assume also that the bullets you took magically disappear from within your body as well, since you're healthy and all after resting for a minute.
I love the whole "walk it off" health mechanic that permeates the FPS genre like a sword blade permeating the length of Agafnd's ribs. (Eye of Argon woo!) It's so nonsensical - although health packs aren't much better.

Quote:

That's actually the premise behind the Saturn racing game Cyber Speedway, only it's hovercraft races instead of computer games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGolden View Post
Conan for the Apple. He's CONAN dang it! What is with the throwing daggers and no big sword?!?!?
The same thing that's with the I, Robot movie having absolutely no connection to the book - it's a completely unrelated product with a license hastily slapped on at the last minute.
Old 07 December 2009, 12:06   #71
TCD

Quote:
Ah. I have absolutely no experience with the Final Fantasy series outside of VI, although I'd imagine that the Mode 7 effect makes it much more noticeable on the SNES than on the NES.
The Mode 7 effect indeed makes it even more ridiculous. I think Ultima was the first game to introduce the 'world map'. Since then it only got copied. Anyway, I don't mind it at all
Old 07 December 2009, 16:20   #72
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Zeewolf and Zeewolf 2: why you get one energy point for each hostage you rescued and carried back to the safety?
Old 08 December 2009, 02:25   #73
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Gunship 2000 - why, after you landed on the carrier ship - you altitude meter shows the number 400m?
Because your altitude is measured by air pressure, to get a Above/Below Sea Level reading, and thus if you put any aero-vehicle down on land, or on an Aircraft carrier (themselves 74 meters above sea level) you'll get a figure differing from zero... 400m at sea may be a bit high, but I don't know how high it thinks the carrier is in game, it's been too long
Old 16 December 2009, 01:46   #74
marcfrick2112

Awesome thread! I can only think of 2 OTOH....

Anyone play Drakken on the miggy? My entire party got wiped out by a FOUNTAIN!!! The scary part is that I have 3 small fountains in my house.....

Super Mario 3, in the 'ice level'... the ice is slippery as hell, but the frozen snow on the ground is fine.... hmmm, they must have special snow......
Old 16 December 2009, 10:58   #75
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
In Crysis I sometimes die because of a small box. Go figure.
Hey, a penny can kill you, if it is dropped from enough height onto your head.
Old 16 December 2009, 11:11   #76
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Carrier Command - great game, but how come when you're kicking the enemy carrier's backside, if it decides to retreat it can actually outrun your Manta Attack Aircraft?!

The Settlers - I have 50 experienced and very well endowed knights - he has a poorly trained farmboy in a hut with a rusty sword. Why is he killing all my guys, and why can't I fight unfairly instead of this one at a time malarkey?

Space Invaders - how come those little guys never once attempted a negotiated settlement?
Old 16 December 2009, 11:21   #77
s2325
Zone Friend

Behind the Iron Gate - screaming robots
Alien Breed Tower Assault - smaller auto-turret on wall can not destroy alien, I don't know if bigger one can do it
Old 23 December 2009, 16:19   #78
onkelarie

Any game from 3000ad (or more notably from Derek Smart).... Even the accompanying manuals of 120+ pages can't explain what the hell is happening in his games....
Old 24 December 2009, 02:52   #79
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

I liked the game where my physical power leaked out of my knee and formed a whirlpool around my waistband. My soul became an iron as I flattened the clothes of Jehova.

The leaderboard quivered in my righteous flash of self. Everything was colour and thought.
Old 24 December 2009, 10:07   #80
s2325
Zone Friend

Exploding trees in Unreal.