English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 02 July 2015, 21:15   #81
adrdesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Please add "trace i" at line 17 in the script and save it. Then launch it from Shell like this:
Code:
rx Convert_Syx.rexx >ram:log
LHA the log file and upload it to this thread.

About filenames, yes some voice names have bad characters. I`ll see if they can renamed before converting.

8svx files should be in the same path where the voices are.
It seems to fail after calculation, when saving in each 4 modes (1-5 octaves single, multi). Note It happens even using ramdrive for the files.

BTW: Could you attach or link that progs you´re using for the script, since It´s possible I´m using some wrong version or different command with the same name...
Attached Files
File Type: lha log.lha (6.2 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by adrdesign; 02 July 2015 at 23:45.
Old 03 July 2015, 17:16   #82
daxb

I see some possible problems.

First, the path that is returned be the filerequester is "DX7_ROM/" what should be a full path "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx/DX7_ROM/". But it seems that a correct filelist for the .syx files is created. Strange, because normally that cannot work.

The header/footer removal seems to work too. Velocity and Lenght values are also correct. Creating the drawer for voices works: "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx/DX7_ROM/rom4b".

Second, if the .voice files are not created or at a wrong place it might be the current directory change doesn`t worked or FMconvert faild for some reason. If there are no files in "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx/DX7_ROM/rom4b" then it faild, else it worked. You should check this. You wrote that current directory with FMconvert didn`t worked for you (docs say it creates voices in current directory and here it works so), what might be a causer.
Refer to log fiel:
Code:
100 *-* CALL PRAGMA('D',path || dirname);
      >L> "D"
      >V> "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx/DX7_ROM/"
      >V> "rom4b"
      >O> "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx/DX7_ROM/rom4b"
      >>> "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx/DX7_ROM/rom4b"
      >F> "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx"
101 *-* fmconvert file '-l' || len '-v' || vel '>NIL:';
      >V> "AMIGADAW:Synths/FMsynth/FMconvert/FMconvert"
      >V> "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx/DX7_ROM/rom4b.syx"
      >L> "-l"
      >V> "254000"
      >L> "-v"
      >V> "100"
      >L> ">NIL:"
      >O> "AMIGADAW:Synths/FMsynth/FMconvert/FMconvert amigadaw:S..."
[...]
You can temporary remove or comment out the string "'>NIL:'" (e.g. /*'>NIL:'*/) in script line 101 to see output of FMconvert and possible problems. BTW. the CALL PRAGMA() is the current directory change. If FMconvert is the problem you should try to reproduce it in a shell and see if it works there or not.

The "---> Converted to voice(s)!" output doesn`t mean that FMconvert has created voices. Its more a progress notice. I can remove or change it to a more proper sense. Unfortunately, FMconvert doesn`t set returncodes for success or fail.

Next, FMsynth seems to start correct, right?

Converting voices to 8svx fails because there is no voice file to convert. At least the filelist is empty.

Commands:
I use OS3.1 as a base. RequestString V1.2 by Thomas Rapp is included. I`m using a bugfix replacement for requestchoice 39.4 but it works also with 39.4.. Further you need:

- rexxarplib.library V3.8 (latest version I think)
- reqtools.library (its more or less a must have library IMHO)

Both are on Aminet:

http://aminet.net/package/util/rexx/ral3p8
http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/ReqToolsLib

WBRun 2.2 is more or less optional. I got it from:
http://aminet.net/package/util/cli/WBRun_fix
Old 05 July 2015, 02:16   #83
adrdesign

Quote:
I see some possible problems.

First, the path that is returned be the filerequester is "DX7_ROM/" what should be a full path "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx/DX7_ROM/". But it seems that a correct filelist for the .syx files is created. Strange, because normally that cannot work.

The header/footer removal seems to work too. Velocity and Lenght values are also correct. Creating the drawer for voices works: "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx/DX7_ROM/rom4b".

Second, if the .voice files are not created or at a wrong place it might be the current directory change doesn`t worked or FMconvert faild for some reason. If there are no files in "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx/DX7_ROM/rom4b" then it faild, else it worked. You should check this. You wrote that current directory with FMconvert didn`t worked for you (docs say it creates voices in current directory and here it works so), what might be a causer.
Refer to log fiel:
Code:
100 *-* CALL PRAGMA('D',path || dirname);
      >L> "D"
      >V> "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx/DX7_ROM/"
      >V> "rom4b"
      >O> "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx/DX7_ROM/rom4b"
      >>> "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx/DX7_ROM/rom4b"
      >F> "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx"
101 *-* fmconvert file '-l' || len '-v' || vel '>NIL:';
      >V> "AMIGADAW:Synths/FMsynth/FMconvert/FMconvert"
      >V> "amigadaw:Synths/FMsynth/Convert_Syx/DX7_ROM/rom4b.syx"
      >L> "-l"
      >V> "254000"
      >L> "-v"
      >V> "100"
      >L> ">NIL:"
      >O> "AMIGADAW:Synths/FMsynth/FMconvert/FMconvert amigadaw:S..."
[...]
You can temporary remove or comment out the string "'>NIL:'" (e.g. /*'>NIL:'*/) in script line 101 to see output of FMconvert and possible problems. BTW. the CALL PRAGMA() is the current directory change. If FMconvert is the problem you should try to reproduce it in a shell and see if it works there or not.

The "---> Converted to voice(s)!" output doesn`t mean that FMconvert has created voices. Its more a progress notice. I can remove or change it to a more proper sense. Unfortunately, FMconvert doesn`t set returncodes for success or fail.

Next, FMsynth seems to start correct, right?

Converting voices to 8svx fails because there is no voice file to convert. At least the filelist is empty.

Commands:
I use OS3.1 as a base. RequestString V1.2 by Thomas Rapp is included. I`m using a bugfix replacement for requestchoice 39.4 but it works also with 39.4.. Further you need:

- rexxarplib.library V3.8 (latest version I think)
- reqtools.library (its more or less a must have library IMHO)

Both are on Aminet:

http://aminet.net/package/util/rexx/ral3p8
http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/ReqToolsLib

WBRun 2.2 is more or less optional. I got it from:
http://aminet.net/package/util/cli/WBRun_fix
Sorry for long delay, I will check it ASAP, huge thanks for your support and patience. Really.
Old 09 July 2015, 17:24   #84
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrdesign View Post
Sorry for long delay, I will check it ASAP, huge thanks for your support and patience. Really.
I did a small update version: Spaces in path/filenme shouldn`t be a problem now. Voices filenames that contain unwanted charackters will renamed. Overall a bit more robustly. Let me know if it works for you or if something should change for better use.
Attached Files
File Type: lha Convert_Syx.lha (5.3 KB, 189 views)
Old 09 July 2015, 17:44   #85
adrdesign

Quote:
I did a small update version: Spaces in path/filenme shouldn`t be a problem now. Voices filenames that contain unwanted charackters will renamed. Overall a bit more robustly. Let me know if it works for you or if something should change for better use.
It worked at first! Just tried with Yamaha original ROMS, max size. It gave me no problems.

Thanks you a lot DAXB, If you need something just say!

BTW: Im going to play with some SYX for deep-testing
Old 09 July 2015, 21:56   #86
daxb

Nice to here that it works for you. Some deeper tests are good. I`ve only used the syx stuff for testing you provided. So it could be an issue with other syx. Also have a look if renaming works in a good way (output says file renamed to...). Sometimes there are really stupid names with only unwanted chars. Then result is an empty name. Empty names are just numbered atm (1.voice, 2.voice, 3.voice, ...). However, report if there are issues.
Old 28 May 2018, 17:16   #87
Lisiak4

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
good news. thanks to amigafuture.de we now have a full version. archive comes with key file.

thanks AndreasM.
Great, thanks!
Old 05 February 2019, 10:58   #88
StrangeVoyager

Hi all,

Sorry to necro/bump such an old thread, but I'm walking this same path right now trying to convert sound banks from DXEditor, but FMconvert can't read anything it makes (or anything that DXEditor can read). The sound bank produced by DXEditor is 6796 bytes. Is the DXEditor SBank file structure documented anywhere?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 05 February 2019, 14:40   #89
daxb

I haven't found a file format description of DX7 voice bank. FMconvert doc only says it supports "32 and 33 voice banks without SysEx header and checksum (size 4096 or 4224 Bytes)." So with removing header and checksum you might get a step forward.
Old 05 February 2019, 15:33   #90
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

The information is out there for the DX7 SysEx format (it's in the manual, IIRC - Lord do I miss the days when manufacturers included a full breakdown of their MIDI implementation right out of the gate!) I actually wrote a specialized deduplicator for DX7 patches back when I first got mine, since like 60% of the publically-available voice libraries are renamed copies of the same patches. Really ought to pull that out...

Anyway, the real question is, as StrangeVoyager points out, the custom bank format that DXEditor uses. Looking at the file size is probably a good start, but I'd go one better: dump the same bank from a DX7 into both programs, save it, and then poke around the resulting files with a hex editor to see what the result is like.
Old 11 February 2019, 04:51   #91
StrangeVoyager

It seems the voices have 220 bytes for a single voice file, and 6796 for a 32-voice bank. The 32-voice bank has a 12 byte header, and each voice is 212 bytes. The last 50 of each 212 bytes is all zeroes except one byte. I have the DX7 file format, but haven't had much luck in finding the same voice in both the raw format and the DXEditor/Transponder Tools format. I downloaded some raw voices where the readme claimed they could be opened in DXEditor 0.93, but when I did that nothing appears to change. No voices populate the voice list.

I emailed the author of the Transponder Tools, and if nothing else I will just use the raw ones that FMconvert can handle, with the 8-byte chop.
Old 28 February 2020, 01:21   #92
AmiClassic

Hi

Where can I find full version of FMSynth?

Thank you in advance.