English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 29 October 2010, 07:31   #1
Clark Kent

Some problems with WHDLoad games again...

I've some troubles with some WHDLoad games again (all from KGWHDLoad site):

*) Turrican 1 (Turrican_v1.0_0092)
*) Z-Out (ZOut_v3.2_0609)
*) Zool AGA (Zool_v2.0_AGA_1675)
*) Zool 2 AGA (Zool2_v1.0_AGA_0415)
*) Arkanoid (Arkanoid_v1.7)
*) DeluxeGalaga AGA (DeluxeGalaga_v1.1_AGA)
*) Chaos Engine AGA (ChaosEngine_v1.2_AGA_1324)
*) Chaos Engine 2 AGA (ChaosEngine_v1.2_AGA_0173)

In Turricane it works until the title screen where I press fire button to start, then I see the blue bar in the lower third of the screen - but the game does not start.

Z-Out starts correct but as soon as I start playing the background graphics are damaged and the ship keeps hopping around.

All AGA games in the list do not load at all. Zool AGA, Zool 2 AGA, DeluxeGalaga AGA, Chaos Engine AGA and Chaos Engine 2 AGA. I tried several different configs but I can not find the right one to start them. The Non-AGA versions work perfectly!

In Arkanoid I can not see the paddle. The game would run without problems but without seeing the paddle I can not play it...

Any ideas how to run them with WinUAE 2.3.0? Are there any special settings I didn't consider?
Old 29 October 2010, 08:45   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Are there any special settings I didn't consider?
What are your settings to begin with? Do you use WinUAELoader for this?
Old 29 October 2010, 09:01   #3
Clark Kent

Sorry, I didn't mention this - I use WinUAELoader for this.

Most games are using this config:
collision_level=playfields|cpu_speed=real|immediate_blits=false|cpu_compatible=false|cpu_cycle_exact=false|blitter_cycle_exact=false|cycle_exact=false

The AGA games are using this one:
collision_level=playfields|cpu_speed=max|finegrain_cpu_speed=max|immediate_blits=false|cpu_compatible=false|cpu_cycle_exact=false|blitter_cycle_exact=false|cycle_exact=false

It's interesting that e.g. the AGA version of "Brian The Lion" is working ok with this settings but the games mentioned above not.

Edit: We can cross out "Turrican" - with the setting "immediate_blits=true" it's working!
Edit: We can cross out "Arkanoid" - it was set to NTSC but it's a PAL game.

Last edited by Clark Kent; 29 October 2010 at 09:26.
Old 29 October 2010, 09:33   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

WHDLoad patches try to fix bugs occurring on fast CPUs (68060), fast memory, etc.
Using WinUAE fast blits and/or CPU JIT can show other bugs that we possibly could not fix because it could not occur on a real Amiga, although personnaly I try to fix all self-modifying code and try to make all patches work with JIT. Sometimes it's just too time consuming

Example: I have fixed Gods for 68060 (SMC) and WinUAE. But if you leave JIT on, there's a puzzle that does not work (big treasure chest at level 3). It works flawlessly on 68060.
I'd like to fix that but I think it would take me a zillion years.

The idea when playing games with WinUAE would be no fast blit and no JIT.

bye
Old 29 October 2010, 10:12   #5
Clark Kent

OK, it seems I solved most problems by myself! AGA chipset was not switched on - I really overlooked that...

Unfortunately Zool 1 AGA has a slightly destroyed sprite of the main character. And Zool 2 AGA seems to run about half the speed of the Non-AGA version.

And Z-Out is still not working. I can change every setting in WinUAE - but it still do not work. Any idea?