English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 05 September 2016, 21:18   #1
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Dune 1 - WhdLoad Problem

Hi

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...01#post1109701

if you have a look at this thread you can see that there is some issue with the Dune 1 install. Maybe someone can have a look at it? Would be very cool if this could be fixed.

Thanks
Old 10 April 2017, 03:27   #2
kriz

I also get problems with the Dune Whdload 2.5, crash when saving, but not every time... Getting exception access fault .. Will try more options aswell later.. System: OS39 latest whdload 18.3 and 060, preload ..
Old 10 April 2017, 10:06   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

you have to be more specific (access fault isn't going to cut it) and why don't you create a bug on mantis? http://mantis.whdload.de/

If you check the activity you'll see that it's not just a dead end, specially if your report is well documented, with crash log, details on how to reproduce...

in the case of Dune, there are several versions (at least 4), and for instance French version crashes if you leave the intro running, whereas other versions don't have this problem.

So specify the version where the crash occurs.
Old 10 April 2017, 15:47   #4
kriz

Hi. Yes will do a full bugreport later today, played without -preload setting some more yesterday and no problems saving (atleast till now).. Thx for thew fast answer jotd !!
Old 25 December 2017, 23:39   #5
tolkien
AmigaMan

I'm trying the spanish version in a cd32 with fastram and CF and have the error "whdload function resload_diskload called unacceptable argument" when I try to save or load.
In my 1260 seems to go good with nocache and now even without it.
I can upload the files to the zone if somebody want to look for it.
Thanks.
Old 26 December 2017, 10:04   #6
jotd
This cat is no more

that is interesting if you can post the message. Or upload in the zone, but I suspect that in that case a whole savedisk (disk.4) is missing which explains the error.

those random bugs are very hard to fix, plus games has 4+ versions and a lot of self-modifying code, which partly explains why it hasn't been fixed yet. Sometimes I regret not to have created a proper file version (relying on the original disk to file extractor or not) which would have avoided disk access which seems to be a nuisance in this game.
Old 26 December 2017, 10:33   #7
kikems

I use the spanish Dune 1 form retrowiki.es forum and it works when save with my AmigaOS3.5 on my Vampire A600.
I'd use Estrayk link for WBHDload, you can find in this thread for test.
http://www.retrowiki.es/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=813
Old 26 December 2017, 14:16   #8
tolkien
AmigaMan

@kikems I use that version and is ok in my a1200 but fails in the cd32.

@jotd Disk.4 is there. I have tried with Savepath=ram: and it works. Perhaps is a filesystem error? I'll put the exact error later tonight.
Old 26 December 2017, 14:28   #9
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
that is interesting if you can post the message. Or upload in the zone, but I suspect that in that case a whole savedisk (disk.4) is missing which explains the error.

those random bugs are very hard to fix, plus games has 4+ versions and a lot of self-modifying code, which partly explains why it hasn't been fixed yet. Sometimes I regret not to have created a proper file version (relying on the original disk to file extractor or not) which would have avoided disk access which seems to be a nuisance in this game.
Yes, relying the extracted files is the way to go, it loads faster, etc....

What is the problem with this ?
Old 26 December 2017, 16:28   #10
jotd
This cat is no more

the problem is creating an installation, since the disks are NDOS, and do not contain apparent files. They're extracted using the (shitty) custom HD installer which is difficultly integrable in a clean "installer" script.
Old 26 December 2017, 17:44   #11
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
the problem is creating an installation, since the disks are NDOS, and do not contain apparent files. They're extracted using the (shitty) custom HD installer which is difficultly integrable in a clean "installer" script.
You need to use RAWDIC to do that. Ask eventually a hand to Stingray for that
Old 26 December 2017, 21:17   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

you really think I don't know how to extract files from a trackloader diskimage? It's just that I didn't take the time to do it. I'm not asking Stingray to do my work.

I just don't to spend 8 hours doing something when the program already works / can be fixed. On this report, some say it's working some say it doesn't.

history from 2014 (last release):

- fixed crash after save in the french version when clicking on the planet
(warning: french version still has the intro bug, see notes below)

so AFAIK there's no other issue (the other thread ends with "copied the disk.4, seems to be ok")

So yes, quitting by powering off the amiga after saving may not save. You have to quit whdload. That's not a specific issue. Are there any users with issues? @tolkien waiting for your report & files.
Old 26 December 2017, 21:32   #13
tolkien
AmigaMan

The thing is that It can only reproduced in the CD32 setup but this is the error.

Function 'resload_Diskload' called unacceptable arguments
$FEAF9E00 PC=$9FB8EA (Slave $3E2)

The game is in the zone.
Old 27 December 2017, 09:21   #14
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
but I suspect that in that case a whole savedisk (disk.4) is missing which explains the error.
Missing save disk doesn't produce this error, WHDLoad would complain about a missing file in this case. It must be something else.

Quote:
Sometimes I regret not to have created a proper file version (relying on the original disk to file extractor or not) which would have avoided disk access which seems to be a nuisance in this game.
Out of interest I checked the original installer and quickly created a RawDIC imager which saves all files (DOS files and "hidden" NDOS files). I'll attach the binary and source to this message so you can use it if you want.
Attached Files
File Type: 68k Dune.islave.68k (3.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: s Dune_ImagerSlave.s (17.7 KB, 84 views)
Old 27 December 2017, 12:20   #15
jotd
This cat is no more

I'll certainly use that to create a new version of the install since it's already created. I'll create an install script which proposes both versions. Thanks.
Old 27 December 2017, 13:31   #16
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

My pleasure. While checking the different versions of the game I have noticed there are 3 files which have a different name depending on the language. I have updated the imager to support this and tested it with all 4 available SPS versions. I believe there is at least one more version of the game as the "ID" numbers are 1,2,3,5. 4 is missing and I guess that's a version with a different language.

Anyway, updated imager and source attached.
Attached Files
File Type: 68k Dune.islave.68k (3.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: s Dune_ImagerSlave.s (18.5 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by StingRay; 27 December 2017 at 16:18. Reason: Updated imager with support for Spanish version
Old 27 December 2017, 13:49   #17
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Spanish DIC images zoned.
Old 27 December 2017, 16:19   #18
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Thanks Retro. Spanish version has ID 6 and I updated the imager to support it. ID 4 is still missing so I suppose there are at least 6 different versions of the game.
Old 27 December 2017, 17:35   #19
daxb

Now someone have to come with a version that has ID 7. Sorry.
Old 03 January 2018, 18:16   #20
jotd
This cat is no more

@Stingray I tested your extractor and it works but some files are corrupt / not with the proper name.

I have zoned the install I did with the original install (what a shitty program it is, making you change disks 10 times) + your files (french version)

Some files are clearly corrupt (cygnus temp ... strings) instead of what appears to be packed data

file dir.0 is named dir.1 for instance (fortunately: allowed me to detect that the files you created are corrupt)