English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 21 August 2013, 12:01   #21
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

What is interesting is that the developers are made up of Argonaut Software guys. So I wonder if they will re-do StarGlider?

http://www.heavyspectrum.com/
Old 21 August 2013, 12:23   #22
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
That is really bad web
Old 21 August 2013, 13:53   #23
wanderer
I want an A1000

Kind of OT, but do you guys remember a webpage that had the story of all three games together? I mean, the background history of the game character. Looking for it.
Old 21 August 2013, 13:56   #24
s2325
Zone Friend

It must some trend - do you remember how they changed Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th 2-10? He was bigger, had more muscles and occupied some underground lair...
Old 21 August 2013, 18:59   #25
s2325
Zone Friend

commentary on youtube [ Show youtube player ] as you can see he is not very good gamer
Old 21 August 2013, 20:21   #26
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Thats what I call important video...
Old 21 August 2013, 22:48   #27
capehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Kind of OT, but do you guys remember a webpage that had the story of all three games together? I mean, the background history of the game character. Looking for it.
This one?
Old 22 August 2013, 08:34   #28
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
Yes!
Old 23 August 2013, 00:54   #29
dex
Eat Electric Death

Hey Wanderer, it's great that the site is still of some use to you! (hmmm, my grammar was horrible back then, hope you don't mind ) Actually, I do hope they try to implement some of the art and vision of the original. Especially those arks and weird mountains Roger Dean likes to paint in his pictures. If you look at that (extremely) old picture of my Beast-remake project using the Dungeon Siege engine, you can see that I tried to get the player extremely close to such landmarks, even on top of them. I am curious about what they can achieve with this reboot, utilising current technology, tools and industry experience (really, some of the Argonaut guys are part of this?)

I am a bit sceptic, though. Same with that Chaos Engine remake (which is my favourite game of all time). No wait - actually I am highly sceptic concerning that one.

Last edited by dex; 23 August 2013 at 01:01.
Old 23 August 2013, 13:41   #30
wanderer
I want an A1000

Love the site! Too bad FB blocks it from sharing for some reason. I like your pic, I know what you mean about the eerie landscapes... Are you still working on it?
(What's the deal with Chaos Engine? It looks like the Amiga version.)
Old 24 August 2013, 01:17   #31
dex
Eat Electric Death

Well, as said on the page I tried various things to get the Beast into the third dimension. The most "recent" version of this was actually a side-scroller (still using the Dungeon Siege engine and heavily modifying the scripts). Turned out that it wasn't very fun to play after all. The most important thing to get right is the gameplay, the original Beast had almost everything except fair and coherent gameplay (not to say that it's unplayable or something but the developer once stated themselves that it wasn't actually tuned and tested enough to sort everything out, for example the often strange collision detection). So I went on to work on some other games such as T4 Funeral, Mods for games like Shadowgrounds and my current projects. As of now I am not sure if "3D" really is the way to go, though.

I wonder if they really went the God of War path. The original God of War was good and there were several "inspired" games who successfully used the formula to create something enjoyable (Castlevania: LoS, the "Next Gen Now Last Gen" Conan or Dante's Inferno - at least partially).

About The Chaos Engine, well. Maybe it's not entirely hopeless, but one thing that bothers me is that they used the AGA graphics. Why? Oh why? The original 32 colour palette was just perfect - PERFECT. The use of 32 colours in the original Chaos Engine is exemplary. In my opinion those saturated forests from the AGA, SNES and Remake version are slightly inferior. Would love to hear the original artists talk about the AGA version, though. Maybe it's what they had in mind when creating the game? I doubt it, however. Also, I hope they do not include that animated intro from the CD32 version but that's a matter of personal taste I guess.
Old 24 August 2013, 01:25   #32
lesta_smsc

A clone of GoW. Shame it's only releasing on the PS4. They would do well to port this to Wii and Xbox as well.
Old 24 August 2013, 12:39   #33
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Only just watched Sony's Gamescom conference and was shocked to see SotB announced! Not a lot to go on except some pre-rendered stuff, which is a shame. It did give me a GoW vibe, which I really hope doesn't turn out to be the case as I hate that shallow QTE crap. I really hope they don't mess it up and keep it true to it's roots :/

Fingers crossed, but I won't get too excited.
Old 27 August 2013, 18:47   #34
amuleth

I've always dreamed the re-imagination of Beast triology with a high-end technology. I know the fact that the remakes or whatever you called them don't always have the same impact. It resembles to resurrect your dead friends or family members using their DNA's. They are not the same! But in the Beast case, I don't care if it will be good or bad, because it is more important to see that a dream becomes true.

Last edited by amuleth; 27 August 2013 at 19:29.
Old 27 August 2013, 19:38   #35
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 1 View Post
I agree with s2325 it's not the same character at all, he was a frail slave not some all action war machine
While agree with your first points, I don't agree with you and s2325 here.
Yes, he was a slave, but I never thought of him as frail....

He kicked @ss!!!
Yes, the games were really hard, but not because he was a wimpy character... More because there were LOTS of bad guys!!

I can easily see him becoming the character in the trailer....
And they might even improve gameplay, as was mentioned.. ;-)

That said, I'm not a console buyer so I won't be picking it up...

If they had a PC version, it would be tempting; except my PC is really old and couldn't play it anyway.. ;-) :-)

desiv
Old 28 August 2013, 06:08   #36
Paul_s

Well it's unoriginal for starters and looks pretty much like every other game from this kind of perspective/era.

What next? Lemmings?

Yawn.
Old 29 August 2013, 00:55   #37
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

I haven't got high hopes for this game to be honest, according to this article (below) the dev team have only made two games for mobile platforms, doesn't fill me with confidence but hey I`m happy to be proven wrong. If they give me the option to punch a wasp I may be swayed.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...-british-soul/

Last edited by lordofchaos; 29 August 2013 at 00:57. Reason: Loss of focus
Old 29 August 2013, 10:04   #38
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
While agree with your first points, I don't agree with you and s2325 here.
Yes, he was a slave, but I never thought of him as frail....
He kicked @ss!!!
desiv
Hands up, you are correct, recently read dex's web site and he wasn't frail he just felt frail in the game.

"Bl0ody hell!! you took a hit for that, he only brushed passed you!!"

but he wasn't some all powerful big killing machine either as they have represented, but I suppose they have to sell their new machine don't they and things do move on.

I agree with the other points on here too, I hope the art work is represented well on this new game, to play in a sand box type game in those original environments would be fantastic.

Also they need to dust off those old pan pipes to write some more lovely atmospheric music for it

PS Kitty that Avatar isn't from the Black Hole Sun video is it, it's from an Alton Towers advert. I saw it whilst refuelling the other day

Last edited by Rob 1; 29 August 2013 at 11:31.
Old 29 August 2013, 10:36   #39
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 1 View Post
Hands up, you are correct, recently read dex's wed site and he wasn't frail he just felt frail in the game.
Congratulations to dex and his wife!
Old 29 August 2013, 11:26   #40
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
If it aint broken why fix it?
Because its easier to fix something that isn't broken