English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 December 2011, 04:14   #1
MoreBITS

Need help with GVP Tekmagic 68060 and A2000

I have an A2000 with motherboard version 6.x, it has a Megachip on it.

The computer also has a video accelerator, Commodore SCSI card with 40mb drive, and the Tekmagic card with a 40mb scsi drive.

I have been using it for a few weeks playing around with the software etc.

I haven't used it in a little over a week, and after moving it to a different room last night I decided to fire it up.

It wouldn't boot, even from a floppy.

I removed all the cards, and the computer booted from a floppy.

I put the Tekmagic back into the machine and it still wouldn't boot from the floppy.

The card has two 8mb pc memory cards in it. I tried booting with one, and with neither.

I double checked all the jumpers, and they are set to the factory configuration.

I don't believe anything changed since the last time I booted the computer other than the location in the house.

I thought maybe the power supply might be an issue, or maybe even the mother board so I put it into a stock A2000 with a 6.2 motherboard. The stock machine boots without the Tekmagic, but doesn't boot with it installed.

I have done all of the testing from the floppy, and haven't had the SCSI drive connected to the card.

Are there common failures in these Tekmagic boards?

What else can I check?
Old 20 December 2011, 04:21   #2
source
Zone Friend

Mine had a problem with clean contacts. I reseated all chips as well cleaned the 86 pin header. I assume you did not change any of the jumpers when you last had it working. with the 060 ther eis a jumper to change it from 5 volt (040) AND 3.3 volt (060). if you switched that jumper you will likely need a new cpu.
Old 20 December 2011, 04:25   #3
MoreBITS

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Mine had a problem with clean contacts. I reseated all chips as well cleaned the 86 pin header. I assume you did not change any of the jumpers when you last had it working. with the 060 ther eis a jumper to change it from 5 volt (040) AND 3.3 volt (060). if you switched that jumper you will likely need a new cpu.
Thanks, you are correct, none of the jumpers were changed through out this.

When you say that you reseated all the chips, do you mean the ram, or every removable module on the board?
Old 20 December 2011, 13:22   #4
MoreBITS

Last night I went through the board and pulled the two rom chips, cpu, and the four pin metal chip near the CPU.

I re-seated them all, and still no boot.

I didn't clean the contacts with anything, let me know if you have a suggested process for cleaning them.

Is there any way to boot into a test mode with this card?
Old 20 December 2011, 16:01   #5
source
Zone Friend

I don't think there is a way to put in test mode. What I did for mine was

1) removed all chips that were socketted. and used a tooth brush with rubbing alcohol and scrubbed the legs of each chip and socket, then patted dry with gauze.

2) the edge connector and edge connector each of the simms were cleaned with rubbing alcohol. the edge of the card with alcohol soaked gauze and the sockets with a tooth brush.

3) for mine, I found that the back plane around the HD scsi port did not fit in the 2000 case. When I tried to fit it in as it was, the card would bend and I think the stress was causing intermitant contact problems as well. I removed the back plate and installed the card in the case. once the card was seated. I replaced the back plate, but on the outside of the case - not the inside like it is suppose to. I threaded the screws that would hold the card in place, but the screws went through the back plate and the screw would then go into the screw hole in the case. I would not secure the card properly, but it would still help hold it from shifting.

I am not sure if it was the cleaning of the chips or if it was the bending of the card, but it worked after that.

Joe at software hut does have contact with the person at GVP. He might be someone to email.

hope it helps