English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 27 August 2009, 11:35   #1
DoneYone

Floppy disk Installing M1230 in Classic WB

Hello guys,

Got an 030 accelerator board from a friend of mine with 128mb! it's this card:

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/mbx1230

I use the ADVSP pack on my A1200 with CF HD, Kickstartroms 3.0. When we tested it yesterday the amiga booted and displayed '030' in the taskbar at the upperleft side (where it normally states '020') so that works (right?). The only problem is that the fastmem isn't recognised (0mb fast). I looked at the above link and found a .dms file as installdisk but I don't know what to do with it and/or how to use it. There's another thread about this subject but I didn't quite understand. I also tried two different 8mb SIMMS (wich I know work) and got the same result = 0mb fast.

So the only thing I think is possible is that the board is dead or I have to do a install of some sort. In the latter case what are the steps I have to follow to make this work (keep in mind I'm a true n00b)? Is 128mb too much for classic wb?

If someone could help me I would be forever greatfull (or at least till the weekend).
Old 27 August 2009, 11:37   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

You shouldn't need to do an install of any sort as the 030 uses the same instruction set.

Does the card have any jumpers on it?
Old 27 August 2009, 11:51   #3
thomas

Quote:
I use the ADVSP pack on my A1200 with CF HD, Kickstartroms 3.0.
Quote:
under Kickstart 3.1 the RAM is autoconfigured, under 3.0 it's configured by software
So you either need 3.1 ROMs or your should install the software to get the RAM active.

This program can be used to write DMS files to floppy disk: http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/dms111
Old 27 August 2009, 11:57   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Ok...

Cheers Thomas
Old 27 August 2009, 13:59   #5
DoneYone

Ok so the .dms a kind of imagefile just like .adf? Then I'll just follow the instructions from the supplied manual (same link). Will report back later. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 27 August 2009, 14:02   #6
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yep, a dms is a essentially a compressed adf. There are plenty of tools to use them.

Just let us know if you have any difficulty with it.
Old 27 August 2009, 21:36   #7
DoneYone

Well I tried it and guess what.... It didn't work. Like the manual states you have to put two files from the installdisk in the 'utilities' and 'wbstartup' folder (one per folder). You need to do this when you have KS3.0 (wich I have). When I startup workbench loads up fine but when it finishes loading the chipmem is 392kb (or so) and the fast is 0. Then a message pops up "The program addXAmem has not yet returned. Should I wait some more?" this is the file/program I placed in the folder. Then when I say cancel (retry just goes in a infinite loop) the message disappears and the chipmem is still the same and the fastmem is 2,036,280...

I tried this with a 128mb and two different 8mb SIMMs (wich I know to work) and everytime it's the same fastmem number. I tried all the different jumpersettings. The things I didn't try were removing the clock of the card or check the battery. The manual also says that you could add a commandline in the startup instead of the 2 files in the utilities&WBstartup folder. But I'm afraid that I will rape the boortconfig (and it should do the same as the 2 files, right?).

Important detail is that '030' is displayed at the upperleft corner. Another thing is that if I click an item one time it changes in a random pixel pile of all sorts of colour. But when I click it again it run fine. Also with Aliennbreed3DAGA it said "can't allocate shadowmem".

This is all the info I've got. Could someone shed some light on this mistery.
Old 27 August 2009, 22:43   #8
Bloodwych

I would help, but I'm a bit clueless over this?

I can answer that question about "not yet returned error" - add DONOTWAIT to the tool types of the icon for the software you are trying to run.
Old 28 August 2009, 15:36   #9
DoneYone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
I would help, but I'm a bit clueless over this?
Is this beacause of my explanation or do you just don't know? Maybe the board is just fried.
Old 28 August 2009, 16:09   #10
thomas

Isn't there a manual on the disk ?

I'd think the program needs to be configured as to how much RAM it should add. 2MB is probably the fail-safe setting.

IMHO you should consider to upgrade Kickstart to 3.1 so that the RAM is automatically configured. That's because if the additional memory is added only when Workbench is already loaded, then there is no benefit from the "fast" RAM because every part of the system which is loaded during the boot process is still going into slow chip-RAM.
Old 28 August 2009, 16:15   #11
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneYone View Post
Is this beacause of my explanation or do you just don't know? Maybe the board is just fried.
Your explanation is fine, yes it's just my lack of knowledge about large fastram configurations on accelerators with software under kickstart 3.0.

This is the first time I've heard you have to do that. Surely someone on this board has a similar setup? I have no experience of it.

As Thomas said, I guess we need to know more about the program.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 28 August 2009 at 16:27.
Old 28 August 2009, 19:28   #12
DoneYone

I will take all this to hart and will report back later, first I have to get hammered tonight.

If anyone has any other ideas as to solve this please post it. thanks for all the replies so far.
Old 28 August 2009, 22:33   #13
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
DoneYet,

I have this same card working fine with ClassicWB. The simple answer is "Get 3.1 Roms". I don't have ANY additional software installed from the MX1230XA diskette and have 128 megs of RAM showing. I have the manual and a couple of MX1230XA DMS files on my laptop I can send to the zone if needed.

Beyond the 3.1 roms, which you should get for other reasons beyond the M1230 as well, you might want to double read the manual. Have you tried their suggestion of putting those files in startup-sequence VS. dragging them to WBstartup? Have you tried booting a vanilla workbench (Easy to do with classicWB hold left or right mouse button on startup) and running the utilities from there?
Old 29 August 2009, 02:37   #14
DoneYone

Yes I would like 3.1 roms but I'm still searching for cheap ones. I think I could add the commandline instead but could someone give me a pointer as to where I have to type this?

I read the manual nd tried a couple of thing. The owner thinks the SIMM bay is damaged and is thinking to send it to a repairshop.

I have the .DMS files already from the link earlier in this post (this is also where you can read/download the manual). But thanks for wanting to send them anyway @illy5603!

I will have another go at it tommorow.
Old 29 August 2009, 11:12   #15
thomas

Actually the manual says it all. The settings used (e.g. the memory size) are stored in the EEPROM. If you change the hardware (e.g. add more memory than the previous owner), you have to adjust the settings. You can display and change the settings with the SetXA program. It can be run either from Workbench or from Shell. I presume that when run from Workbench it shows a GUI.

I also suppose that Kickstart 3.1 does only make AddXAmem obsolete, you'll still need to save the right memory size in the EEPROM with SetXA.
Old 29 August 2009, 17:24   #16
DoneYone

Thomas, thanks. It works partly know. Got the memory to be accepted and played AlienBreed3DAGA on good speed. Only when I try 4D sportsdriving it comes up with the message: "Exception "NMI autovector"($7c) at $87B881C (ExpMem $8381C) occured".

I treid it with two different memorybanks. What does this mean.

Also still the icons turn all f#c*ed up when I click them once.

I'm beginning to think the board is somehow broken.
Old 29 August 2009, 18:04   #17
Bloodwych

ClassicWB comes with some patches and extra programs enabled by default, like FBlit, IconbeFast etc.

Look under settings (or tools on the top menubar) and enable or disable some of the options to test if something is causing the issue.

You can also as illy said hold the right mouse button and try booting into a standard Workbench.
Old 29 August 2009, 19:36   #18
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Actually the manual says it all. The settings used (e.g. the memory size) are stored in the EEPROM. If you change the hardware (e.g. add more memory than the previous owner), you have to adjust the settings. You can display and change the settings with the SetXA program. It can be run either from Workbench or from Shell. I presume that when run from Workbench it shows a GUI.

I also suppose that Kickstart 3.1 does only make AddXAmem obsolete, you'll still need to save the right memory size in the EEPROM with SetXA.
Thomas, you are 100% correct. If you change memory from the original owner, you will have to run SetXA. The 3.1 ROMS just eliminate the rest of the junk.