English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 December 2015, 02:43   #41
TenLeftFingers

Thanks Akira, good to know. And I can test with another floppy drive. I should have thought have that actually - my troubleshooting skills have really slipped!
Old 08 December 2015, 10:08   #42
Daedalus

Yep, best way would be to connect another floppy drive. As for your batteries question - yes, you could in theory run the +12V line off a couple of 9V batteries, but they wouldn't last very long, and a resistor would depend on the A1200 always drawing the exact same current (which it won't, so you'll need a regulator or DC-DC converter). You might get a few hours out of a set of batteries but it's probably not worth it to be honest, and that's not considering the +5V and -12V lines which will need more batteries, and the main power line through the +5V line will drain a standard 9V battery in around 15 minutes so not particularly useful.

With DC-DC converters (like the PicoPSU), you could run an Amiga off a high capacity battery like a laptop or SLA battery for a few hours, and there have been projects in the past where people have installed Amigas in their cars using similar approaches.
Old 08 December 2015, 14:57   #43
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yep, best way would be to connect another floppy drive. As for your batteries question - yes, you could in theory run the +12V line off a couple of 9V batteries, but they wouldn't last very long, and a resistor would depend on the A1200 always drawing the exact same current (which it won't, so you'll need a regulator or DC-DC converter). You might get a few hours out of a set of batteries but it's probably not worth it to be honest, and that's not considering the +5V and -12V lines which will need more batteries, and the main power line through the +5V line will drain a standard 9V battery in around 15 minutes so not particularly useful.
Thanks for the grounding It is good to know in advance what the pitfalls are. I agree it's not worth it.
Quote:
With DC-DC converters (like the PicoPSU), you could run an Amiga off a high capacity battery like a laptop or SLA battery for a few hours, and there have been projects in the past where people have installed Amigas in their cars using similar approaches.
Excellent, good job I'm going with the Pico then. It sounds like something I can do in stages too (PSU first, battery later).

For the time being, I'm thinking of leaving a Voltmeter connected to the PSU pins so that I can visually see when things start to go awry - I'm having major Amiga DT's here!
Old 22 December 2015, 11:43   #44
TenLeftFingers

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...y-upgraded-60W

How about one of these?

Sent from Ubuntu Touch using the Forum Browser app