English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 17 October 2018, 00:26   #1
jedvard

Genghis Khan archer bug

In Genghis Khan there seams to be a bug when using archers.
acording to the manual archers can fire on distant enemies one hexagon away.

"ARCHERS: (Picture of a bow and arrow)
This unit is not suitable for a general attack, but it has some
advantages over the cavalry unit. Archers are not as powerful as the
cavalry when attacking infantry, but they can make long-range attacks,
firing on an enemy in a battlefield one hexagon distant from them."

But in all versions ive played archers can fire all over the battlemap from everywhere.
i´ve always played on cracked versions of the game and naturaly thought it was a bad crack...but recently i picked up the original and it has the same bug.
is this possible to fix? or do i just have to play bye the rules and ignore the bug. just curious?
Old 19 July 2023, 22:55   #2
Hanzu
Repairer-Preserver-Gamer

I have the game, but don't remember anything about playing it.

Unlimited range for archers sounds unrealistic if map is bigger than normal battle area, but if map only covers this type of battle area, it does not sound unrealistic to archer away from on map edge to another edge. Although in realism accuracy and power should lower with more distance.

The manual uses word distant. I'm not native in english, but to me distant gives impression that something is far away. One hexagon away is not far away. So this part in the manual makes no sense to me. I would consider whole sentense as error in manual.

Fixing game to limit archer range to one hexagon away just because manual says so, makes no sense because the manual should not considered a higher authority than the ingame rules. Gaming manual may be written by someone not even belonging to the developer staff. Maybe someone belonging to the publisher staff or outside contractor. You never know since this is normally a job not credited.

Fixing the manual would be easier than fixing the game (I used to write and fix manuals for electronic devices years as my fulltime job). Changing it to "at least one hexagon distance from them" would emphasize it is a long range unit and not fit to close combat (happening in same hexagon).

If someone would "fix" the game rules we would have to admit playing it wrong way all these years. We do not want that, do we. ??
Old 20 July 2023, 03:01   #3
giantclam

In English, I read "one hexagon distant from them" to mean 'one hexagon away from them' ....ie; the 'distance' is 1 hexagon...

...but going by OP's description, this isn't an accurate statement either...

...in English, here in this example, one should connote the word 'distant' to mean 'not close', as opposed to 'far away'. If you substitute the adjective like that, you get "one hexagon not close to them" ...which comes out in 'plain speak' as "at least one hexagon away".... but going by the OP's report that should probably read "at least one hexagon or more away" ...ie; 'one hexagon or more distant from them'

Don't worry, English sux for this =) There's nothing wrong with using the adjective distant here, it just hasn't been properly qualified relative to the actual game-play as it were. In the mind of whoever wrote it, was the line #define distant = not_close ... 'one hexagon' = unit of measure ... 'from them' = noun location on map ... ergo, if one hexagon = an area 5 kilometers wide, the same line reads ... "5 kilometers distant from them" ...(but likely due to the fact the game maps aren't drawn to any real-world scale, you just leave it as 'one hexagon' and let the player's imagination decide what the actual scale is 8).

I've never played this title, m'kay... but the above becomes a relative statement, compared to what your other battle units are capable of...for example here, is it only the archers that can shoot one (or more) hexagons away? Without knowing that answer, the underlined statement above would be the most correct here wrt English =)

HTH