English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 October 2005, 10:44   #1
mrodfr

HDD PC on amiga

Hello,

a friend of mine has given to me his old quantum altasIV 9go ultra160m/lvd/se 68 pins but used on a PC before.

I allready this same HD in my amiga. vikingII 4go ultrascsi 68pins working without problems since years.

If I put the quantum with exactly the same jumper config or trying with force SE or no wide,.... the drive isn't recognized by the amiga.

If I try just with the quantum at the same place of my vikingII HD and just with the zip100 outside with the 100 mo cartridges with the wb inside and boot. the quantum isn't recognized.

all to say It's not a material fault or a jumper problem (I hope for this fact).

BUT:

this drive has been used in a PC before and logically allways formatted in PC more and even with window inside.

how this quantum HD could be recognized by HD installs programs on an amiga ???

the use of fat95 could be help me ???

I haven't PC with scsi near me. I search an amiga method to partitions this quantum for using on my amiga.

bye
Old 30 October 2005, 12:52   #2
Jope
-

You should see it in hdtoolbox or hdinsttools. The PC's MBR in the beginning of the drive doesn't matter at all.
Old 31 October 2005, 09:28   #3
mrodfr

hello,

Note: The quantum disk drive does not support on-board SCSI termination.

as scsikit had onboard scsi termination. I thtink I couldn't use this HD with my scsikit ????

someone reading this threat maybe had a recent HD working on his scskit ??? (around ultra160/320 or more).

if someone had a kind of hd working and provide here the exat desciption of his hd, I could search in internet in his recent HD does not support on-board SCSI termination.
Old 31 October 2005, 11:43   #4
Jope
-

Onboard termination missing from your drive means that you need an external terminator.

You said that the scsikit has onboard termination, so you need a chain like:

scsikit with terminator - quantum - some other device - terminator

Only terminate the ends of the chain.
Old 03 November 2005, 19:38   #5
mrodfr

hello,

I'm searching some informations about scsi and found at:

http://www.scsita.org/aboutscsi/SCSI..._Tutorial.html

When reading this text, I now think It's not possible to use ultra160 with a scci-kit 25pins to 50pins to 68 pins that mean fastscsi2 to ultra160 degraded to fast scsi2 (use a 160mo/s degraded HD by jumpers HD on a 5 mo/s scsi controler card

I use here ultra wide SCSI 68 pins and work but ultra160 is too much hardware level to work great with 25 pins scsikit IMHO.

there is to much level of settings, no wide, force se, active adaptator (my scsikit had active terminator ??), this quantumIV hadn't terminator on, It's a LVD drive...

surely this drive could work well on blizzardPPC or cybertorm (all accelerator card with maybe 50 pins directly or of course 68 pins scsi controler) but I think not for the special fast SCSI of P5.

or someone here arrive to do that on his amiga ???
Old 04 November 2005, 06:28   #6
Jope
-

I beg to differ. All LVD SCSI devices are backwards compatible with older busses, you just need to convert the connector to be suitable with your bus.

Can you point out where in your link it says that U160 won't work with an old controller?
Old 05 November 2005, 16:52   #7
mrodfr

hello,

first all the tests I have made but unsussessfull and there is a part in the link with:

25 pin connectors are often used, but are not defined in the SCSI standards, there are a limited number of ground connections which often cause problems if used on fast or Ultra SCSI speeds.

scsi had 25->50->68 and maybe ultra160LVD is too new for scsikit but allways ok on blizzard/cyberstormPPC (50 pins or more in theses boards).

my quantum vivkingII wide LS I use had just the termpower jumper used. the termenable jumper is with external zip 100mo and all work. the quantum vikingII had a forceSE jumper but not used because the HD could itself negotiate on single SE or LVD operation.

remove my vikingII and put the quantum atlasIV ultra160m in the 50->68pins of the vikingII and boot mean not working. degrading the atlasIV HD by using force SE (even if my older vikingII can do that automatically) and also use the nowide jumper and the termpower and not working.

if my quantum vikingII is used everyday mean the termenable on the zip 100mo is an active one.

I have made all for the quantum altas IV (force SE, no wide, termpower and used alone with the zip 100 terminated and not working.

for remembering, not working mean: my amiga boot well with quantum atlasIV but no hdtoolbox, scsiconfig or qdevice or unitcontrol found the id of the quantumIV but well all others ID. It's THE problem.

I have also found users with blizzard/cyberstromPPC who use ultra160 scsi hd but nobody with scsikit.

- test I have made and think I have made all.
- nota in the link.
- nobody else example.

allow me to think It's not possible to use ultra 160-320 with scsikit. Genius idea is welcomed about my problem now
Old 05 November 2005, 23:52   #8
Jope
-

Hmm..

Even though there's a 25pin connection at some point, you are upgrading the bus pretty soon after that to a full 68 pin configuration, aren't you?

The 68 pin cable should have all grounds, they are just going to the same ground point in the 25pin connector.

It can well be that the Atlas just doesn't implement the flavour of SCSI your SCSI kit supports. :-/
Old 06 November 2005, 07:45   #9
mrodfr

hello,

if I know enough about blizzardPPC, the scsi is 50 pins and in cyberstorm series is 68 pins. the better Is to found a blizzardPPC with 060 and scsi for the 50 pins but I think I couldn't found one around or too big prize.

when I have first used a scsikit, 50 pins began to diseapeared for 68 pins HD (vikingII is fast wide 68 pins scsi, a scsi2 for wide ribbon). this quantumIV, someone send me for testing because not used.

maybe for this ultra160, a better 50->68pins must be used or maybe a real active terminator with leds but I couldn't found a user with allready this material working on his scsikit for confirming this fact.

in an other hand, I prefer buying a scside + hd at: http://www.hantz.de
and a second one for a dvdrw.(less prize hardware and apparently HD and SCSI material are same, just the control chip give ide or scsi) I have found an amiga user who burn cdrw on his scside-dvdrw with makeCD.

I could also buy a fastata but all my old scsi hardware dont work. or maybe mix fastata and scsikit in the same amiga ???

began to be a big problem ide or scsi storage on amiga now.
Old 06 November 2005, 11:08   #10
Jope
-

The SCSIDE adapter is rather good, I have a couple myself..

Maybe it's best to go down that road anyway, at least the drives will be cheap then.