English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 April 2019, 16:43   #1
chocsplease

Question Is there a tutorial on setting up winuae to read/write over a lan to a real amiga?

Hi,

I am trying to connect to a real Amiga over my lan using winuae. I want to copy the compact flash card that's in the Amiga to one in the pc (though am having a few problems setting that up - see my other thread in this sub forum).

I have enabled the bsdsocket.library in winuae but am now wondering on the best way to get the real Amiga (which has roadshow) and winuae PC to talk to each other.

Would I need a TCP/IP stack in winuae? I am using a wifi network.

Is there a simple way to open a drive on the real A1200 and either pull/push the files onto a drive in winuae?

I don't think I can use Cloanto's Amiga explorer as the cf card in the pc will (eventually) be formatted for the Amiga and don't think (?) AE will be able to write to it.

Any help/suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 14 April 2019, 18:52   #2
ajk

Do you have a CF card reader for the PC? It'd be much easier to make a copy just by using that.

Also, I do believe Amiga Explorer allows you to make an image of the hard drive - although it may be on a per partition basis rather than the entire disk, not sure about that.
Old 14 April 2019, 19:15   #3
chocsplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
Do you have a CF card reader for the PC? It'd be much easier to make a copy just by using that.

Also, I do believe Amiga Explorer allows you to make an image of the hard drive - although it may be on a per partition basis rather than the entire disk, not sure about that.
I do have a reader in the PC - this is what I will be using to copy the files to. However I am a bit wary of plugging in my only (currently) Amiga hard disk into the PC just in case I or windows does something wrong and I loose it.

Didn't know that AE could do this, but I just want a file copy as the partitions will be different - the new CF card is larger.

Thinking about this I guess I just need a way to copy amiga to amiga? Even if one is UAE???
Old 14 April 2019, 20:01   #4
ajk

Yeah, not sure what would be the best way in your case apart from directly accessing the card on the PC (messing it up is a legitimate concern as you rightly pointed out).

If you've got plenty of space on your CF card, you could make an .lha archive out of everything you want to save, then transfer that over with Amiga Explorer, and extract it in WinUAE. This would ensure that no Amiga specific file attributes are lost in the process, which is an issue when transferring files "raw" to foreign file systems.
Old 15 April 2019, 00:05   #5
chocsplease

Hi,

Many thanks for the lha suggestion, there isn't enough for the full partition, but is enough for directory by directory - a very laborious process given the number of them unfortunately.

I've found references to something called Envoy, both on this forum and elsewhere which might of solved the problem, but those I have found tend to be folks asking who owns it. Intangible Assets Manufacturing (IAM) who used to sell it are defunct (?) and the iam.com website is now showing musicians extras etc for the entertainment ind.

So it looks like I am stuck with running a load of lha compacts in order to do this?
Old 15 April 2019, 00:38   #6
sneeker

If the network is up and running between the amiga and pc and you can ping the pc from the amiga, I use filezilla server on my pc and just FTP from my amiga to my pc (and vice versa) to copy files around, but for larger transfers its quicker to just use a cf card in the pcmcia slot.
Old 15 April 2019, 10:59   #7
Tomislav

In WinUAE you can make image copy of your CF card or hard drive. When you adding your hard drive (or CF card) you will see button "Create hard disk image file".
Old 16 April 2019, 13:46   #8
chocsplease

Hi,

Well this has been a barrel of unfun all thanks to windows

My PC has a fixed IP address or it used to. I suddenly remembered that I had set up smbfs on the Amiga (like years ago, the brain is not what it was) so thought problem solved. Fire up smbfs connect to a share on the pc and lha the stuff across.

Simple.

Nope.

For some crazy reason windows 7 pro is now refusing point-blank to allow a fixed IP address. It used to work, but I just could not get smbfs to connect. I thought it was due to a bizzare dns issue I am having on the amiga, but no it turned out to be windows suddenly turning a private home network into a public unknown network with a fixed IP.

I only found this out by looking into the network and sharing centre and seeing the change. Lost as to why but quite a few people have had this (various posts and fixes suggested on the net - none of which worked for me).

After hours of frustration and an insane call from microsoft (they told me you have to contact your ISP to obtain a fixed ip address for your local 192.x.x.x network.. .) I gave up and set the idiot pc to DHCP and then asked it its ip address.

Putting this into the roadshow hosts file has allowed me to connect and lha is now trawling trough the internal cf card.

However I'm wondering if I can actually use a 32gb cfcard in the real amiga. It came from ebay and I am not quite sure what file system etc is being used. Is there a way of asking it? I do know I have version 43.24 of scsi.device and 3.1 (?) roms but thats about it.

Thinking about this further does anyone know the max file size you can have on an Amiga (for the lha)?

Sorry not really a UAE question however if someone could point me at how to find out the filesystem etc that would be great.

<edit 17:00 bst 16/4/19>

Having run the 1st LHA of the workbench part. that was fine. However the games one is a different story. Even splitting the LHAs into directories is causing lha itself to choke (I have an aca '030 with 128mb ram).

So it looks like I may have to try and figure a way of getting UAE and the real amiga to talk to each other so I can preserve file attributes.

Any ideas?

Last edited by chocsplease; 16 April 2019 at 19:03.