English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 March 2012, 18:38   #1
sovietconscript

need some help setting up a a4000 (cd drivr, gvp 4008)

i recently aquired an amiga 4000 which i really don't know much about. i wanted to change/upgrade a few things but i'm not sure how so i have a few questions. the machine is running OS 3.1 with 2mb chip ram and 12 fast ram. it has 2 hdd's hooked up via ide and one old cd drive caddy style hooked up via a scsi/mac emulation card. the cd drive does not seem to work.

firt odd thing i noticed is that although the 2 hard drives are connected via ida in hdtools it says they are scsi devices. the cd drive also is not listed but i don't know if you have to do something to add it or its not working.

i took out the caddy cd and the mac emulation card (no need to emulate a mac) i also removed the secodary hdd and replaced it with an ide tray style cd drive. still the cd drive is not detected. does the amiga os need drivers for the cd drive? do i need to adjust orconfigure something in the OS?

also i own a GVP 4008 scsi controller/ram expander i would like to install. anyone know the specs for the ram i need in it?

thanks
Old 04 March 2012, 22:13   #2
Jope
-

Yep, the IDE drives look a bit like SCSI devices to the OS and are handled by a driver called scsi.device. This is normal.

You need drivers for the ATAPI CD drive. The scsi.device in 3.1 does not support ATAPI commands.

IDEFix/IDEMax for example comes with atapi.device and cachecdfs.

The 4008 takes normal 30 pin SIMMs as far as I can remember. If you have the card, you can take a look yourself. :-)