English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 February 2011, 16:40   #1
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

GVP HD+ Not Booting...

I have a GVP HD+ (HD8+) with 4mb fast ram and a 2.1gb SCSI HDD installed. The drive boots up and works fine when the external SCSI CD-ROM is plugged in and powered up... But it refuses to boot when i remove the SCSI CD-ROM drive (all i get is a blank white screen). All this is running on my A500+ with Kickstart 2.04 and WB 3.1 installed.

I'm guessing this has something to do with SCSI termination but unfortunately my knowledge on this is limited as i've always avoided SCSI devices in the past. Anyway the HDD i'm using is a Seagate Barracuda model ST325550N and the GVP ROM is version 4.15. Any help is very much appreciated

Here are the possible jumper configs (J1 is currently set to "Enable SCSI terminator" using pins 5+6, J2 is set to "Enable motor start" and J4 is set to "SCSI ID =0"):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scsi.gif
Views:	249
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	27966   Click image for larger version

Name:	scsi2.gif
Views:	269
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	27967  

Last edited by PowerPie5000; 21 February 2011 at 16:53.
Old 21 February 2011, 17:01   #2
thomas

Imagine the SCSI "bus" as one long cable with the devices (including the controller) connected to different connectors. This cable needs to have terminators on both ends but not inbetween. As a terminator you can use seperate terminators plugged into connectors or the first and the last device.

Now I suppose that your HDD is on one end of the bus, the controller in the middle and the CD drive on the other end. In this configuration both the HDD and the CD drive need termination activated while the controller should not be terminated.

term---hdd---controller---cd---term

If you remove the CD, you need to terminate the controller. The HDD is ok.

term---hdd---controller---term

Or buy a terminator which fits to the external connector and plug it in instead of the CD drive.
Old 21 February 2011, 17:08   #3
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Imagine the SCSI "bus" as one long cable with the devices (including the controller) connected to different connectors. This cable needs to have terminators on both ends but not inbetween. As a terminator you can use seperate terminators plugged into connectors or the first and the last device.

Now I suppose that your HDD is on one end of the bus, the controller in the middle and the CD drive on the other end. In this configuration both the HDD and the CD drive need termination activated while the controller should not be terminated.

term---hdd---controller---cd---term

If you remove the CD, you need to terminate the controller. The HDD is ok.

term---hdd---controller---term

Or buy a terminator which fits to the external connector and plug it in instead of the CD drive.
Thanks for the reply... The SCSI CD drive is at the end of the chain and is terminated, but i'm pretty sure the GVP HD+ does not need an external terminator as the old HDD boots up fine without the SCSI CD drive attached. I think it's purely down to the HDD jumper settings but i don't want to start randomly changing them without knowing what i'm doing
Old 21 February 2011, 18:14   #4
thomas

Well, you didn't write anything about an old and a new drive above. You only wrote about a HDD which boots with CD drive but not without. The only change is the removal of the CD drive.

I still think that you need to put a terminator in place of the CD drive. Older devices might work without proper termination, but that does not match the specs.
Old 21 February 2011, 20:56   #5
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

All done

No external terminator required, i just needed to place a jumper clip on pins 1-2 and pins 5-6 of connector J1. I overlooked the fact that connector J1 has two default configs in the diagram (both need to be jumpered).

Cheers for the help