English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 October 2009, 21:59   #1
antonvaltaz

Using your Amiga for 'serious' stuff

Back in the '90s, when I had a 'real' Amiga (by the time I got rid, an A1200 with an '030/50, 10 MB RAM, hard drive, CD-ROM etc) it was the only computer I had, and I used it for everything - not just games, but word processing, spreadsheets, music sequencing etc. Thanks in large part to Amiga Format coverdisks and tutorials, I dabbled in graphics, animation, DTP, multimedia, programming etc as well.

Now thanks to WinUAE I have a far more powerful virtual Amiga than my souped up machine ever was... yet I find myself only using it for games (most of which ran on an A500!) It seems such a waste...

So my question for discussion is... For those of you who use your 'classic' (i.e. not OS 4.x) Amigas for 'serious' purposes... What do you use it for, and why (why not more modern alternatives)?
Old 26 October 2009, 22:15   #2
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
good question wish I knew the answer
Old 26 October 2009, 22:59   #3
DamienD
Banned

Other similar threads which you may find interesting antonvaltaz

... What do you use your Amiga's for?
... Who is still using their Amiga for something other than gaming?
... Amazing things you've done with your Amiga
Old 26 October 2009, 23:03   #4
Paul_s

The only serious thing I'd ever use my 500 for these days would be Word Processing..

But there's not much point as;

a) I get Office for nout through work
b) I'd need to find a compatible printer for me Amiga
c) I'd have to have an Indivision ECS or something to make it work on me monitor

I never really used my Amiga's back in the 90's for anything more serious than that... oh I used it for comms/bbs's but again, not much point these days... more like hard work than anything
Old 27 October 2009, 02:26   #5
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
well, if somebody ported Serious Sam to the Amiga, I could put it into a serious use

truth be told, the age for using amiga for 'serious' stuff is past by now. except for tracking or 68k coding. Which is also a hobby anyway.
Old 27 October 2009, 03:34   #6
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
truth be told, the age for using amiga for 'serious' stuff is past by now.
And why is that? I see no reason why you can't:

1) Use a word processor.
2) Use a spread sheet.
3) Use a relational database.
4) Use a mail application.
5) Use a news reader.
6) etc.

The only thing missing is a fast browser for 68k+ ecs/aga which isn't as far behind the times as the current browsers (and don't say Flash, Flash sucks even on a Pentium 3 ). And besides, some people still don't have a peecee and do everything on the Amiga
Old 27 October 2009, 05:10   #7
kriz

For sure it still does the job I mostly use TVPaint on my A4000, very nice software. Also msn, irc and some web goes fine.
Old 27 October 2009, 05:36   #8
Photon

I'm totally the other way round, anything serious I do on the PC is for the Amiga

Well apart from spending way too much time in browsers...

What's this hobby talk!? We're not talking about 'what do you use your Amiga for at work', right!?

Actually, I think the ratio of game vs. 'serious' use of computers in the evening is probably pretty even across the computer models...

But yes, word processing, database, spreadsheet is the area where Commodore Amigas are still decent ehm, editing machines. I don't know, are there decent webdev packages? Should be possible to make a decent Frontpage/DreamWeaver type editor for simple and useful webpages, at least.

PHP/MySQL/JS, dunno how tricky it is on Amiga, at least testing JS would be quite hard

And don't forget that not long ago all the university professors used far less capable machines for all their research, data processing and publishing. I bet they still thought they did serious work!
Old 27 October 2009, 06:38   #9
NovaCoder

I'm using mine for coding, but that's only because I'm coding Amiga games (it is a bit painful).

I also use it to play MP3 files sometimes and surf the net if the wife is hogging the PC....does that count as serious?

IMHO Classic Amiga's today do best what they've always done...play games and demos
Old 27 October 2009, 07:18   #10
antonvaltaz

Thanks for your responses... Is there any news of a modern standards-compliant browser coming to the 'classic' Amiga, e.g. a port of that Origyn (sp?) or I vaguely remember talk of a Firefox-based browser?

Also for office software, what is best? I used to own Wordworth 7 Office, or is Final Writer or something else better?

Finally, any good image processing software?
Old 27 October 2009, 08:25   #11
meega

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonvaltaz View Post
So my question for discussion is... For those of you who use your 'classic' (i.e. not OS 4.x) Amigas for 'serious' purposes... What do you use it for, and why (why not more modern alternatives)?
I wrote all the essays for my degree (2000-3) on my A1200 (Kick 3.0, Workbench 3.0/1)*, and printed them out on a Canon BJ130. The department didn't mind at all - what was said being paramount, fancy formatting a long way down on the list of priorities. It's all still sitting in a drawer on the hard drive, the whole lot will fit onto a single floppy disk.

It makes a very good typewriter, the keyboard is beautiful to the touch, and I don't have to remember stupid ALT-keypad combinations to get accented/unusual characters.

*The university systems were based on a hacked Win95 at the time, Netscape was their "official" browser, rebooting a workstation took about five minutes (longer if the network was busy).

Last edited by meega; 27 October 2009 at 08:34.
Old 27 October 2009, 12:09   #12
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meega View Post
*The university systems were based on a hacked Win95 at the time, Netscape was their "official" browser, rebooting a workstation took about five minutes (longer if the network was busy).
Some peoples modern (!) peecees still take that long

Last edited by Thorham; 08 November 2009 at 14:56.
Old 27 October 2009, 14:57   #13
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

FWIW:
-My 'real' amiga (A1200) gets used for imaging rare floppies to .apd format (hmm, must pull finger out), though is mostly used for hardware 'fiddling'.
-Amithlon + OS3.9 is still a very useful general OS platform, though where software is lacking or where even Amithlon lacks sufficient grunt (I'm quite impatient) then there is the PC...
-PC's are otherwise for playing with (games + emulation)
-Got to admit to choosing RiscOS for most 'day-to-day' activities.

I don't see myself as a self-flagellating retro-freak, I simply use the software & OS environment I find most pleasant for the job in hand:
RiscOS, AmigaOS, Windoze.

(Apologies to platforms I either don't like or have too little experience to comment)
Old 27 October 2009, 15:52   #14
BrooksterMax

I can't use my A1200 for serious purposes today, the PC and MS Office just blow it away.

I did use my A500+ with Wordworth and DPIII for school work, I used CrossDOS to transfer files between the RM Nimbus PCs at school and the Amiga at home.

Today, it would just seem soo much effort to do "productivity work" on the classic amiga - although the Compact Flash PCMCIA adaptor would make it easy to share files.
Old 27 October 2009, 15:56   #15
Paul_s

Does anyone reckon you could pull a girl wooing her with Desert Dream demo?
Old 27 October 2009, 19:57   #16
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Dessert Ice-creams demo you say..?

Most girls would go for that, especially if it involved chocolate. So I say YES.
Old 27 October 2009, 20:26   #17
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
FWIW:
-My 'real' amiga (A1200) gets used for imaging rare floppies to .apd format
.apd?? What kind of format is this? Please?
Old 27 October 2009, 20:28   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
.apd?? What kind of format is this? Please?
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...APD#post605399
Old 27 October 2009, 20:35   #19
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Not a chance paul, my wife doesn't understand it's complexity and brilliance

I used my A500/A1200 for spreadsheet, database, Word Processing, DTP, Design (not quite cad), but unfortunately due to overpowering demands, I had to move to the PC
Old 27 October 2009, 22:18   #20
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

I wrote my BTEC ONC final year project up on an A600 using Final Writer software and printed it up on a Brother M1009 dot matrix printer. The nearest a PC could get to that for word processing at the time was Word Perfect 6.0 for DOS on floppy that I still have today, although I suspect that the floppies have long since had it. To get WYSIWYG such as Wordworth, Pagestream and Final Writer standards on the PC took a fair bit longer to achieve.