English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 29 May 2007, 01:10   #1
potis21
M$ Survivor

Why is it impossible for the pc to write amiga disks? (or isn't?)

http://www.fdos.org/ripcord/rawrite/

It seems that 880k is the only format not supported; but somehow I feel it can be done.

This is the only thing I truly miss from UAE. I own 3 amigas (2XA1200, 1XA500)
But despite the fact that there are ways to transer data to and from OS3.0, I have a problem with my A500 - somehow I feel I have a tremendous problem converting file-by-file the tons of disks I have from Floppies to ADF, but specially VICE-VERSA.
I need to be able to enter a floppy into my pc and get a A500 compatible format.

I know it can be done by PC0: and even serial, but consider transferring 3 times around the very same data just to end up on a usable disk... it is truly frustrating, and I own 3 ks3.0 amigas now. back to 2002 I had none... since my first A1200 Died suddenly in my hands
Therefore I know how it is to have an A500 and can't use it because your mum (now a grandma) threw away those old wb1.3 disks... and all the demos - games you had.
Old 29 May 2007, 04:31   #2
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
use a compact flash card reader, a compact flash, CFD.lha and FAT95.lha
from aminet, and now you use the CF to transfer the adf you want ^^ !

and then use the disks made with a tool like diskwrite or tracktool to recreate
new disks, and finaly use them on your A500
Old 29 May 2007, 07:47   #3
potis21
M$ Survivor

Surely there are ways that sort of transfer can be done. Even the most unawaited of my desires has been fulfilled - the ability to plug a disk to my PC and format it as an amiga DH0: - that did it, I am happy.

But imagine if.....

I guess you all know I'm right, right? the problem sticks with the dreadful PC floppy controller. The question is - can it be persuaded to write raw? and if yes, how? how can one ensure compatibility with all kinds of badly designed totally unbent controllers and even if circulated via smart programming, can the AFD be fed as raw with correct start position (the hole in PC floppy) be the start of that special word on the start of track 0 perfectly aligned???
Gee, I went too far...
Old 29 May 2007, 08:01   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Technically impossible. Do some research first (disk2fdi documentation is very good starting point)

PC floppy controller can't write AmigaDOS compatible tracks. It has no "raw"-mode and PC format MFM encoding is done in hardware (which cannot be bypassed)
Old 29 May 2007, 10:55   #5
Photon

Listen to dlfrsilver, that's the cheapest no-nonsense way of transferring to disks. Just fill a 2GB card, put it in your A500 and you can write disks until the end of time...
Old 29 May 2007, 11:37   #6
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver
use a compact flash card reader, a compact flash, CFD.lha and FAT95.lha
from aminet, and now you use the CF to transfer the adf you want ^^ !

and then use the disks made with a tool like diskwrite or tracktool to recreate
new disks, and finaly use them on your A500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon
Listen to dlfrsilver, that's the cheapest no-nonsense way of transferring to disks. Just fill a 2GB card, put it in your A500 and you can write disks until the end of time...
Is there a detailed guide/walkthrough on how to do this anywhere I could read up on?
Old 29 May 2007, 12:48   #7
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Can't remember the details, but someone said on a forum once, that you're able to write floppies on a pc... something about creating a VMware/VirtualPC environment and putting the adf in the virtual floppy drive... or was it the other way around - dumping data from floppies to an virtual adf?
Old 29 May 2007, 12:49   #8
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by potis21
the ability to plug a disk to my PC and format it as an amiga DH0: - that did it, I am happy.
I'd like to do this for my A1200 as my original WB floppies have gone belly up. Is there a guide somewhere on how to do this?