English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 March 2024, 12:26   #1
Fenris

Indivision MK3 and OSSC - A1200

Hi, I'd like to hear some opinions about the MK3 (which I'm considering) and an OSSC, which I already have.
What I want to get is a sharper look, a higher resolution, more screen space and painless connection to modern widescreens and TVs

I got an OSSC so I could connect multiple devices to modern monitors (A600, Sega MS, NES etc...), however, I'm not fully satisfied by using it with an A1200 and TF1230, higher resolutions in Workbench environment can get messy, it's not a flicker fixer after all.

I'm no expert of P96 either, I guess that requires a RTG (unless you use WinUAE or Pistorm)?

Is a MK3 a worth investment in this case? For those who have it (or have both MK3 and OSSC), how is it, any advantage/drawback?
Old 23 March 2024, 13:07   #2
lilwshu

The Indivision when correctly set up will give a much sharper picture compared to the OSSC, lets you use the higher resolution screen modes like HighGFX without RTG, fixes flicker in interlaced screen modes (I use PAL 640x512 high res laced with a 1280x1024 monitor giving perfect scaling) but has a similar delay switching resolutions to the OSSC.

Other than the fiddly setup software (not entirely painless but not bad once you get your head around it) and the aforementioned resolution switch delay (very rarely an issue) I can't fault my Indivision, it is miles ahead of any scaler I have seen that uses the analog RGB port in terms of quality including the OSSC (which is itself pretty good quality compared to its competition).
Old 23 March 2024, 18:44   #3
LordCrass

I have an Indivision AGA MK2 in my A1200, RGBtoHDMI in my A500s, and an OSSC. While the internal solutions will have the best video quality output and look just like an emulator does, the OSSC is very very close. Unless I use one right after the other, I probably wouldn't notice the difference with the video modes I use, which are mostly standard OCS resolutions as I don't like the slowdown you get on the higher ones. Good quality cables are important with any external solution, and add to the price.

Another option now is the OSSC Pro, which addresses pretty much all of the shortcomings the OSSC had. Even more expensive than the Indi MK3, but would work for other devices as well, no resync on resolution changes, has slot/shadow mask filters, and no messing around in the case, if that's an issue for you.

Does anyone know what the maximum output resolution is on the AGA MK3?
Old 24 March 2024, 17:09   #4
golem

I have an Indivison Mk2 outputting HighGfx with VGA on my workbench for many years. It is very sharp. The only downside with using the higher graphics modes is, as Indivision is not RTG, they use Chip ram. They can go much higher than HighGfx using XTREME and 720p modes but I have found these impractical so I don't use them. I also recently got an Indivision Mk3 for my other machine and, as other poster put, it takes a bit of playing to get your head round how it is configured but it makes sense after a while. The Mk3 has Live mode where you can adjust modes on the fly before committing them to the FPGA. A nice benefit of Mk3 is it has an HDMI output and audio works through it if your monitor has speakers. They are available direct from Individual. Be aware because of Brexit you will need to pay import tax as they don't charge VAT until it comes into the UK.
Old 24 March 2024, 21:48   #5
Fenris

Thanks guys, In the end I think I've decided to give the Indivision MK3 a try.
The OSSC will stay for other devices, and if I would find the MK3 impractical I can always resell it

Tinkering with the case is not generally an issue (I got a Furia on my A600), as for import taxes, not being in the UK does not affect me (in this case, when buying stuff from the UK it's another matter, I simply hate custom fees and longer delivery times).

Let's see, I'll have a look at its software just to be prepared if it is relatively painful to get used to it, and yeah I'm hoping for the best
Old 26 March 2024, 17:19   #6
Fenris

I'll try to elaborate a little bit later, but I've just tested the Indivision MK3 without too much customization, and the video quality is amazing!
Even compared to the OSSC which is in general a good solution, so far quite happy with it
Old 29 March 2024, 14:15   #7
TommyTomorrow

I have indimk3 in my A1200 and in my opinion it's a really good product but configuring it is not that easy. I can recommend to watch this video
[ Show youtube player ]
and also read this tutorial
https://lesdocs.fr/parametrage-de-lindivision-aga-mk3/ (change the language to English from the dropdown menu on the right)
Old 30 March 2024, 09:32   #8
Fenris

Thanks, yes, configuring it is not straightforward, but I managed to get very good results on two different monitors so far.
As for everything, on larger monitors keeping the aspect ratio can be a challenge.
I have to say that the video output quality is amazing even compared to an OSSC